Gibson Brands Forums

Here's A Song For You.

Digger

That's a pretty powerful song.

I'm too young to relate from personal experience. But I can try to empathize what it must have been like to be that age and thrown into that hell. I have great reverence for those who lived through it.

That's a pretty powerful song.

I'm too young to relate from personal experience. But I can try to empathize what it must have been like to be that age and thrown into that hell. I have great reverence for those who lived through it.

Thnx

I was in the US Army from '66 - '69. I was stationed in the Pentagon in the Chief of Staff's Communications Center. Anything and everything coming in to the US Government (from anywhere; Embassy's, battlefields, CIA, DIA, etc.) came through us. I had several levels of TS security clearance, and was one of the few in our "office" who could see anything regardless of topic and security level. On one hand, it was miserable, but on the other quite enlightening. I knew the "news" months before the general public. The worst night of my life was reading the casualty report on my best friend from basic training.

John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) wrote the song "Fortunate Son" while serving in the Army. He was on a recent radio show discussing his new book and his experiences, and he said he wrote that song because he realized that "we send our kids to war". Nothing in that regard has changed in the past several decades.

While I wasn't being shot at, I think I paid my dues to my country, but have the utmost respect for my fellow Vet's who really did the "grunt" work. I salute you all, regardless of your uniform. Thanks for the post, Digger. Once again a somber reminder of man's inhumanity to man.

As I've said to you before Dennis none of us had much control over where we served and as such all took our chances.

The fact that you did serve your country doing an obviously important job is all that matter.

Interesting about John Fogerty. I didn't know he had been in the army and I love "Fortunate Son".

Thank you for that.

Thanks for posting that, Digger.

I hadn't come across that before. Powerful.

I don't mean to go off-topic but I first heard this song (and specifically this version of this song) when I was pretty much the same age as the OP and it still gives me goosebumps - and makes me feel like crying - every time I hear it.;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEMcLcGJ79s

Pip.

Thanks for posting that, Digger.

I hadn't come across that before. Powerful.

I don't mean to go off-topic but I first heard this song (and specifically this version of this song) when I was pretty much the same age as the OP and it still gives me goosebumps - and makes me feel like crying - every time I hear it.;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEMcLcGJ79s

Pip.

Eric Bogle does, in my opinion, the best version of this song and yes it is bit moving isn't it? Haven't listened to this one yet but will after I get some more work outside as it will be too hot out there this arvo,

Thanks for posting.

She has a lovely voice indeed!

This is the one that gets to me!

Not aure what Canadian forces had to do with Gallipoli (no disrespect intended) and as far as i kow it was Aussies, Kiwis and Briits. My grandfather was there.

This is worth listening to to the end.

Eric Bogle (now resides in Aus)

I hold great awe and respect for the people who answer the call.

There is evil in the world that must be extinguished.

Unfortunately, current events in Syria and Paris suggest the problem is no longer solved through conventional war.

My heart aches for the wounded and the dead, hurt by an enemy they cannot see.

Prayers for the safety of young people thrust into the battle today

Thanks for the post and your service. My godfather came from Cyprus (the Greek portion) and joined the Army knowing full well he'd be sent to Vietnam. He got a Purple Heart but never told anyone his story for a very long time, including my father (his best friend) and his first wife (my second cousin).

I finally gathered enough courage to ask him about it after a few years ago when I was visiting him in MD. He passed away a year ago, but I'm glad he opened up to me. Someday I'll tell everyone about it but it's still too horrific for me to talk about at the moment. I never served, but I have the utmost respect for anyone who did or will.

This is the one that gets to me!...

Thanks in return for posting the original version, Digger.

In contrast to the 'Airs and Graces' cut (which I've had on vinyl for some 37 years) I hadn't heard Eric Bogle's version for, probably, three decades and it was very poignant.

Pip.

Thanks in return for posting the original version, Digger.

In contrast to the 'Airs and Graces' cut (which I've had on vinyl for some 37 years) I hadn't heard Eric Bogle's version for, probably, three decades and it was very poignant.

Pip.

Glad you enjoyed it Pip, if enjoyed is the appropriate word?

Archived