Gibson Brands Forums

Is this J45 is made by Ren Ferguson?

pepperlovesalt

Recently my friend came across a lovely AJ with Brazilian Rosewood, made in 2005. Seller hide the serial so I can't tell the exact year. I just hope you fellas can help her to distinguish this guitar is made by Ren Ferguson?

Is every Ren's guitar have his signature on the label? How to tell if this one is made by him or with him?? My friend is such a big fan of Ren.

Thanks, guys, you rock!

Sorry for Hypo, is made in 2005

post-75720-057128200 1450921900_thumb.jpg

post-75720-032020000 1450921906_thumb.jpg

post-75720-007868400 1450921914_thumb.jpg

post-75720-021312500 1450921919_thumb.jpg

post-75720-078276200 1450921949_thumb.jpg

post-75720-030422300 1450921956_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, It's not a J-45. It's a Luthier's Choice AJ. The ones I have seen are Madagascar rosewood, not Brazilian.

Unless it is signed by Ren, on the label or somewhere else, there is no specific evidence linking it directly to him.

If they are marketing it as a Brazilian rosewood guitar made (or at least signed) be Ren Ferguson, they are going to need the documentation to prove it.

Hi,

I don't think Gibson has used Brazilian rosewood for quite some time. And Ren left Gibson a few years ago. Oh, and that looks like an Advanced Jumbo, not a J-45.

That might be Madagascar Rosewood.

It sure isn't a J45. It's an Advanced Jumbo, says so right on the label.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nick beat me to it....

Welcome.

As has be mentioned, the guitar is an AJ. I also don't that that's Brazilian RW.

Ren was at Gibson in 2005 (left in early 2012). Without a signature on the label, I'm not sure he worked on that particular guitar.

Hogeye would probably know, or might be able to find out.

Hi,

I don't think Gibson has used Brazilian rosewood for quite some time. And Ren left Gibson a few years ago. Oh, and that looks like an Advanced Jumbo, not a J-45.

That might be Madagascar or Mystic Rosewood.

Sorry for the Hypo. It's made in 2005 according to seller's desc.

Thanks. :)

First, It's not a J-45. It's a Luthier's Choice AJ. The ones I have seen are Madagascar rosewood, not Brazilian.

Unless it is signed by Ren, on the label or somewhere else, there is no specific evidence linking it directly to him.

If they are marketing it as a Brazilian rosewood guitar made (or at least signed) be Ren Ferguson, they are going to need the documentation to prove it.

Jeez, couldn't agree more with ya. But I don't think Gibson will recognize it as Ren's work with official documents.

Welcome.

As has be mentioned, the guitar is an AJ. I also don't that that's Brazilian RW.

Ren was at Gibson in 2005 (left in early 2012). Without a signature on the label, I'm not sure he worked on that particular guitar.

Hogeye would probably know, or might be able to find out.

Thanks for the tip. So you mean if it is Ren's work, he probably signed on the Label??

Cheers.

May I know why? Thanks.

Used Brazilian would go between 3-5K

Used Luthiers choice AJ probably 1500-2000

If it were a very special guitar it would probably come with a COA signed by a couple Bozeman people including Ren around that time.

Before you lay out big bucks for Brazilian you should have it certified or verified unless you feel you are qualified.

I bought one a couple years ago, studied the difference in the density of spores, the slight color difference and smell. I trusted the spore density (or lack of when compared to EI) more than the others. Had it listed in the description of sale and had it verified immediately with a great luthier.

Good luck

They usually ask more for the Luthier's Choice Madagascar ones. I don't know if they get it or not.

If it were Brazilian, it would probably be noted as such on the label.

You typically see $1.5-$2k for a good stock East Indian AJ. I've always felt they seemed to be a bargain at those prices, but I've never bought one.

If it were a very special guitar it would probably come with a COA signed by a couple Bozeman people including Ren around that time.

Before you lay out big bucks for Brazilian you should have it certified or verified unless you feel you are qualified.

I bought one a couple years ago, studied the difference in the density of spores, the slight color difference and smell. I trusted the spore density (or lack of when compared to EI) more than the others. Had it listed in the description of sale and had it verified immediately with a great luthier.

Good luck

Thanks again for your quick response. The seller asked arnd 6K about it. And He stated it is Brz RW. Will ask for COAs. And you mean, if it's Ren's work, he probably signed on the COA or Label, is that so?

If it were Brazilian, it would probably be noted as such on the label.

I agree with this.

Sounds like he's trying to sell a 2k guitar for 6k because of some wild grain pattern.

If I was shopping for a BW I would look for a straight grain. Probably go with a Martin.

Thanks again for your quick response. The seller asked arnd 6K about it. And He stated it is Brz RW. Will ask for COAs. And you mean, if it's Ren's work, he probably signed on the COA or Label, is that so?

Some are more expert here that have answered your questions, but I think to be more specific, IF it was built by Ren, it would say so somewhere on the COA or the certificate if it was to be more valuable. Or if someone wanted to attach more value to it, as opposed to any other guy who would be included in any info.

If he DID have a hand in it, (besides his capacity as the man in charge at the time), in a part of the building, it wouldn't be worth more or less. It would ONLY be worth more with documentation stating he built it or had some purpose in building it as something HE built.

Ren's signature sometimes appears on some guitars, and the signature itself sometimes brings more money, because Ren was a great man. But he signed guitars for reasons other than him building it.

In other words, no Ren written on anything, no extra value in attaching him to the guitar. But there's plenty of Ren in every Gibson acoustic, to varying degrees, since he started at Bozeman.

If the guitar is Madagascar rosewood, which it most likely is, it is worth at most about half what the seller is asking. If there is no documentation that even shows it to be Madagascar rosewood, it is worth less than $2k. If it has significant scratches on it--and it's hard to tell from the photos--it is worth less. Ren's signature would add slightly to the value, but probably only if that signature is on the guitar itself. It's too easy for a COA to get separated from a guitar over time, so a signature on a COA would be of marginal additional value. In addition, unless the signature on the COA is an original, rather than a printed facsimile, it probably adds no value at all.

As has been pointed out, there is more than a little bit of Ren in every guitar built in Bozeman during the years he was there, but that's already factored into the value of the guitars.

Archived