Gibson Brands Forums

Tony takes off

E-minor7

Got it by mail this morning. T.P. leaves the Acoustic Letter.

Not the best news. I really appreciated his tests and found it splendid he never changed playing patterns through those 5 years and over 500 guitars.

It's understood that he couldn't go on forever and one can see why new challenges and Horizons are waiting.

But I personally could have heard from him a year or two still. Wasn't tired of the presentations and interviews at all.

Anyways, , , we gotta deal with the real - and life is calling. Your letters will be missed, Mister Polecastro. The mailbox will be quiet now.

Best Winds & Thanx, , , , and do follow that HD-35 home

Got it by mail this morning. T.P. leaves the Acoustic Letter.

Not the best news. I really appreciated his tests and found it splendid he never changed playing patterns through those over 500 guitars.

It's understood that he couldn't go on forever and one can see why new challenges and horizons is waiting.

But I personally could have heard from him a year or two still. Wasn't tired of the presentations and interviews at all.

Anyways, , , we gotta deal with the real - and life is calling. Your letters will be missed, Mister Polecastro. The mailbox will be quiet now.

Best Winds & Thanx

You beat me to posting this.

Farewell T.P

You will be missed

JC

So where's he going???

According to the goodbye email, he's gonna focus more on his online guitar lessons. I once signed up for them but balked when I saw the price. He's got some good free lessons, though. I like his version of Last Steam Engine Train.

Since I signed up in the past, I get this weekly thing he does called "Tone Taxi", where he drives around Bozeman and talks about guitars. So I still get my Tony fix.

I've always enjoyed his reviews. I think he's been fair and honest.....I understand the comment regarding guitars sounding the same, but many of them do sound the same. Often the primary differences are nuances that only people like us would or might notice. Anyway, I wish him well. [thumbup] [thumbup]

This bloke has become my fave reviewer these days on Youtube. He plays different pieces and tries to play a style that showcases the guitar in its best light.

The pieces could be longer, but still he seems to capture the essence of the guitars tone.

And he can give Tony a run for the beard test... maybe he can be our new guru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKyiYKwMd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAf-3ms6erQ

Tony's demos will be missed here, as well. Surely there have been those who grew weary of the repetition in his videos, but count me as one who appreciated his trying to keep things constant, and his allowing the guitars to speak for themselves. Performance videos have their place; no doubt Tony could tear it up if he wanted, but keeping it simple is really the best bet for the person wanting to carefully listen to the guitar. Shredders are fun to watch, but ...

As EA pointed out, Matt from Eddie's Guitars is a great option for listening to some very nice guitars. As I've been drawn to the rosewood neck of the woods lately, Matt's considerable skill at fingerstyle music has been trying to change the balance in the kinds of music I've been interested in. A term possibly coined by EuroAussie himself maybe 5 years ago: "metrosexual thingy music", is a specialty of Matt C's. However, there is some concern that proceeding in this direction might cause me to become the dude with 5 cats and to go buy a Prius. Balance...

In delving into the wide array available in acoustic tone, the more I get an appreciation for the challenge of not just making a demo video, but the challenge to carefully listen to each guitar being compared, and attempting to choose music and playing styles that accentuate their differences.

Following Matt would be fine - already sometimes check the guy and like him.

Regarding the empty chair behind T.P., I guess it's a question of time before a new man arrives.

The continuity will then be broken, but another chapter will begin. And maybe we'll finally get a TV Bird under the spot ;-)

In delving into the wide array available in acoustic tone, the more I get an appreciation for the challenge of not just making a demo video, but the challenge to carefully listen to each guitar being compared, and attempting to choose music and playing styles that accentuate their differences.

Somebody onboard - maybe tpbiii - once said he collected sounds. A good way to express it.

Collecting pieces of art you can actually enter and bring to live would be another.

Can't get over how thrilling it is to give different guitars messages and hear them react.

So, been meaning to ask you a question Em7 and this seems like a good place to do it. Not too far off track.

For serious listening to recorded guitars and stuff, what kind of cans do you recommend?

Ups - not the right person to ask and mine are breaking apart at the moment.

They are called Denon and nothing special at all. But I like them and kind of 'know them' well compared to others fx in the studio.

Must get another set soon - listening in earphones is a total must when driving PC without stereo-speakers.

Good luck

So, been meaning to ask you a question Em7 and this seems like a good place to do it. Not too far off track.

For serious listening to recorded guitars and stuff, what kind of cans do you recommend?

I recently bought some Sennheiser HD6 mixing headphones....really nice, and they are good for recording as they not 'noise cancelling' but sound deadening - can't hear the guitar acoustically which is good for hearing exactly what you record....

BluesKing777.

You didn't ask me but I think the best value for the money must be AKG K550 or K551 (the same with short cable and remote)!

They were 300£ cans when they came out 3 years ago, you can get them now for half that price.

Since I got 'em I really hear things differently on the tube, everything is pure and organic.

Tony Polecastro's guitar demos of the J-35 vs. other Gibsons and even Martins was one of the reasons I bought the J-35. I couldn't find any local shops to try one out so I relied on many different demos on YouTube, but Tony's was the best. It made me come around from the Martin sound to the Gibson sound and the J-35 back in 2013, thanks, Tony. [thumbup]

Archived