Gibson Brands Forums

When you buy a guitar , do you leave it stock or change it

4Hayden

Interesting!

I'm surprised at how many of you leave them alone.

I thought there were more tinkerers on here.

If I buy a guitar it means I like it. So I too leave them alone. All my guitars are bone stock.

I leave the set up to the place selling it. I have no problem with their ability and always get

it how I want so I have no need to do that. I did pick up a cheap squire at a pawn shop that I

set up myself but if I'm paying for a new guitar I expect them to set it up how I want it.

New strings is about it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only my 2016 Les Paul is completely stock (and will remain so).

2014 SG: Bought as body and neck only-nothing stock but the nut and finish.

1993 Epi G-400: Nothing stock but the bridge, tailpiece, and finish.

1996 Epi LP: Stock except for Bourns pots.

2013 ESP Edwards: Stock except bridge pickup.

2013 USA Tele: Stock except 2011 pickups (more vintage sound).

2011 USA Tele: 2013 Bridge pickup (guess where that came from), Seymour Duncan Hot Tele neck pickup.

As for acoustics, I guess you could consider my USA Ovation modified since the top was replaced under warranty with a color that was not available on that particular model.

I can't leave stuff alone!

Wondering if any acoustic players want to get into this thread. Don't want to veer away from topic, so haven't jumped in!

Well, if it's acoustics, I have peeled cheap looking pick guards off of a few guitars, sanded down, as well as shimmed up several saddles. I suppose that counts as modding them.

Maybe. Somehow, saddles are more set-up than mod to my thinking. Peeling off an aesthetically offensive pickguard could be a modification; quite a few of us removed the x-tra thick guards from some 1960's Gibson models in order to improve tone and increase volume. Plastic bridges were another item that got changed, not to mention all the folks who changed adjustable bridges to the fixed saddle variety. How about rebracing the top from ladder to X? Or scalloping existing braces? Enlarging soundholes is considered by some to improve treble response. What about shaving necks or reshaping them? Does one refinish a guitar or not? The list goes on....

As far as the important stuff is concerned - p'ups, tuners, electronics etc. - I prefer to spend a long time in finding the guitar which is as close to 'correct' (for me) as possible rather than swapping things about at a later date.

'Cosmetics' are a slightly different matter.

One of my '1960 Classic' Lesters had already been modified by the change to a plain 'guard, SD Antiquity p'ups and some really crap caps before I bought it.

This one I did mod by changing the caps for PIO which transformed the tone no end.

When my 1940's Antoine Di Mauro had it's 'board shaved and trued the paper-thin celluloid diamond-shaped traps were removed (out of necessity, of course) and were not re-instated.

I've kept them, though, so if I decide to re-fit them later on it can be done.

Other than that?

I've fitted a 'guard to my 1993 R9 because, as we all know, a 'guard improves tone.

Schaller strap-locks to all LPs.

Blank TRC's on the 1960 Classics.

Gold hat-box knobs on the R0 because I don't particularly like 'mirror' knobs.

DiMarzio 'Dual Sound' p'ups on my 1975 Grant 'Les Paul' copy. The originals were laughable; the weediest single-coil (under a 'bucker-sized cover) p'ups ever made.

Pip.

Every one of mine gets strap locks.......that's automatic.

Many of mine have small "bolt on" mods.......99% cosmetic. Amber switch tip, different knobs, etc.....all original parts get bagged and saved and can be swapped back at a moments notice.

A couple are stock (still strap locks)

and a couple (from "back in the day") are modded.

These days, I tend to find one that is what I want stock rather than buy it just to change it.

I like my guitars to be uniquely mine. I like to tinker as well. I don't do anything that couldn't be restored to stock if I decided to do so.

2014 LP Traditional: Faber USA bridge and tail piece, '57 Classic / Classic + PUs, bone nut, 50s wiring, Schaller strap locks

2014 ES-355: Schaller strap locks, TP-6 stop bar, Faber bridge and tone lock tail piece screws. Tried locking tuners but did not like them.

2015 ES-355: vintage knobs, switch tip from ivory to amber, Schaller strap locks, Faber Tone Lock bridge and tail piece just ordered. Thinking of swapping the Burstbuckers for some '57 Humbuckers and changing the caps to PIOs.

The exception: a Taylor 614ce. Stock and will stay that way. It has some interesting marks on the finish that were unacceptable in the Japanese market and make it unique on to itself. Plus, I don't think acoustics should be fooled with (much).

I won't tinker with collectibles, of which I have a three that loosely qualify. I also won't tinker with my Gibsons, other than maintenance (such as having the frets redressed on a used LP Studio). I won't touch their pickups, having chosen them because I like their pickups and Gibson electronics are good quality.

I will tinker for dependability in my cheap imports. I have changed tuners on a cheap Epi Junior that I have since sold, the original covered tuners were awful. I have changed scratchy pots and weak pickups in a Squier Affinity Strat, replacing the old crappy parts with a loaded pickguard from Dragonfire (excellent quality for price). And I have replaced pickups and wiring harness in my Jay Turser JT-133 because the body and neck were just so darn nice, but the electronics kept cutting out on the original neck pickup.

Most all of my other guitars I buy have good pickups (USA made Duncan, or Asian made Duncan Design, USA made Rockfield, couple of DiMarzio, Etc), decent electronics and do not require modding. Except maybe my cheap Ibanez hollowbody AF55. It plays really nice and the body is great, the ceramic pickups work well, but are just a bit harsh. I can see a future pickup replacement possible for that guitar, maybe just the neck pickup as the hotter ceramic bridge wouldn't be too bad. Hmmm, now I am seriously considering doing that.

Oh, and I have locking guitar straps, so I don't have to install straplocks.

Usually. And I repeat Usually, I buy guitars I like and leave them alone.

Sometimes I'll buy one I almost like and fix what I don't like.

But then again I always add Schaller strap locks and bone nuts.

So on second thought I usually change them.

I am a bit of a tinkerer, but with my cheapies only.

My Gibsons are pretty much stock except for a bone nut on the Tal; the TOM bridges on my LP and SG unfortunately collapsed so I needed to change them.

My Epis on the other hand were the poor victims of my compulsive tinkering; they only have their body stock and even then, my Regent got its top routed for a full humbucker.

I learned a lot doing my own setup, swapping hardware and electronics on my Epis.

To be honest there was far more gain in knowledge than actual tone improvement...

I always used to leave guitars stock.

However, after working among a bunch of gear heads and super-particular guitarists, I kind'a caught the mod fever. It will depend, of course, on the guitar… but I've already modded two of my newer guitars quite a bit—both cosmetically and electronically.

Should I acquire one of those 2016 SG Standards with P90's, that guitar will be left stock, more than likely.

Same here.

See no need to mod them as I bought them because I liked them as they are. If I don't, as a result of buying sight unseen, I sell them quickly. Have sold very, very few over the years.

Same here if your going to mod one why not buy a body and build you own

4H

Archived