Gibson Brands Forums

D'oh !!!

SteveT2

When I got my new Lester I was going to get some strap locks. Well in all my NGD excitement I forgot. Did get a nice fat strap for it though. So of course last night the upper part of the strap came undone. I caught it but sheesh, not good for this old guys heart. So you can guess what's doing today

I hear that, I'm out too for the same reason. [thumbup]

Went up to the store and was going to get some Schallers. The guy at the counter didn't have a screwdriver, neither did I since I was in my tooling around car not my work car. So anyway they went to get the weekend shop guy so he could just pop it in. He got about ten feet away and says he can't be bothered. Didn't even have the courtesy to at least come up to me and say something. So took my card out of the card reader and said see ya. The counter guys weren't happy with him either. But that's not the first time I've seen his attitude. And it's not like I barely go there. I just bought my LP there,two Blackstars, SG, Srat,not to mention pedals, cords, strings,etc. Maybe they want me start buying at GC

Went up to the store and was going to get some Schallers. The guy at the counter didn't have a screwdriver, neither did I since I was in my tooling around car not my work car. So anyway they went to get the weekend shop guy so he could just pop it in. He got about ten feet away and says he can't be bothered. Didn't even have the courtesy to at least come up to me and say something. So took my card out of the card reader and said see ya. The counter guys weren't happy with him either. But that's not the first time I've seen his attitude. And it's not like I barely go there. I just bought my LP there,two Blackstars, SG, Srat,not to mention pedals, cords, strings,etc. Maybe they want me start buying at GC

That reads real bad here on the forum.

Hard to judge...maybe he rents space from the store, maybe he is fed up with fixing stuff for free from the store. Maybe he is just a jerk and not appreciative.

Maybe the store, OR the people who work there, are tired of him, or back him. Hard to say from here if it is something to hold the store accountable for, or not.

If you like the store but not the "weekend guy", maybe it's worth asking some questions as to the nature of their business relationship. At least, it would be a chance to make a legitimate complaint. You might be doing them a favor.

That reads real bad here on the forum.

Hard to judge...maybe he rents space from the store, maybe he is fed up with fixing stuff for free from the store. Maybe he is just a jerk and not appreciative.

Maybe the store, OR the people who work there, are tired of him, or back him. Hard to say from here if it is something to hold the store accountable for, or not.

If you like the store but not the "weekend guy", maybe it's worth asking some questions as to the nature of their business relationship. At least, it would be a chance to make a legitimate complaint. You might be doing them a favor.

He's just pretty much got a crappy attitude. He works on the floor too. Their regular service guy is off on Saturday so they put him back there. What he does I don't know. Maybe just answers questions or something. A few months ago I asked him something tech related and that was the first time I noticed the attitude. But after today there's no way I'd let him touch any of my stuff with that attitude. No telling how he treats customer stuff when you can't see him. All the other people there are great. But you know how it goes, there's always that one guy...

I'm going with Grolsch washers for now. Too bad that stuff tastes awful. But hey, I got 4 for 4 bucks. The Schallers are 20

:lol:

Maybe let that friendly guy drink them for you, it might give him an attitude adjustment. [omg] :P

I'm going with Grolsch washers for now. Too bad that stuff tastes awful. But hey, I got 4 for 4 bucks. The Schallers are 20

Ive done this on 2 guitars that have cases which accommodate a permanently attached strap. I couldnt find any grolsch so used the Fender ones.

Before this I spent 20 years catching my main guitar when it slipped its strap. I never dropped it, but why take the risk any longer?

I had Jim Dunlop strap locks (factory fitted) on another guitar. Worked well enough, but I prefer locking straps now. The locking versions of Planet Waves are good.

Ive done this on 2 guitars that have cases which accommodate a permanently attached strap. I couldnt find any grolsch so used the Fender ones.

Before this I spent 20 years catching my main guitar when it slipped its strap. I never dropped it, but why take the risk any longer?

I had Jim Dunlop strap locks (factory fitted) on another guitar. Worked well enough, but I prefer locking straps now. The locking versions of Planet Waves are good.

I was going to go the strap locks on the strap route when I got my SG but was concerned that as bulky as the ends are they m right Mar the finish

i don't know what you guys are doin with your guitars that they fall off all the time. i've been using the same strap for at least 6 years, and have never had an incident on any of the guitars i've owned since i bought it. in fact, i've never had that happen to me ever, in 30+ yrs of playing. maybe just try making sure it's on properly would go a long way

i don't know what you guys are doin with your guitars that they fall off all the time. i've been using the same strap for at least 6 years, and have never had an incident on any of the guitars i've owned since i bought it. in fact, i've never had that happen to me ever, in 30+ yrs of playing. maybe just try making sure it's on properly would go a long way

Have you ever had to quickly swap guitars on stage in low light during a show? I dropped two before I started using locks. Straps flip over and pop off. Especially with those little joke strap pegs Gibson uses on everything.

Steve,

You DON'T need any grief from that jack-wagon at the local store.

Just remove the stock screw/strap button. And using the same screw, install the shcaller strap lock strap button.

All you need is about 3 minutes and a Phillips screw driver.

The strap lock for the strap with the schaller looks like U, when you install the strap lock on the strap, MAKE SURE the U, is Upright with the rounded edge pointing to the floor when you're strapped on with the guitar. Using a small adjustable wrench, and make sure that everything is tight. A drop of lock-tite wouldn't hurt but it's not really needed

I totally get the security of strap locks, and the wisdom of it. I don't disagree one bit.

But for me personally, I don't use them. I have a good habit of never taking my hands off the guitar. I feel consciously, the strap may come undone at any time. I intuitively have one hand on it ALMOST all the time, and if I can't, I put it down.

I don't know if I could even get used to the idea of strap locks, or a "feeling" the guitar is secure if they have them.

I've seen a few nightmares unfold in the clubs and bars. if you have fenders, you have much less to worry about, they tend to bounce...

Gibby's just break.

I like the added (even if it's a false sense of) security

The schallers are very secure.

I've been using them fro well over 20 years now, and they've never failed on me

I totally get the security of strap locks, and the wisdom of it. I don't disagree one bit.

But for me personally, I don't use them. I have a good habit of never taking my hands off the guitar. I feel consciously, the strap may come undone at any time. I intuitively have one hand on it ALMOST all the time, and if I can't, I put it down.

I don't know if I could even get used to the idea of strap locks, or a "feeling" the guitar is secure if they have them.

Come spend a night with my band and you'll get the hang of them real quick. Never leave home without them.

rct

Some guys straps let loose and some don't. Some folks play with the headstock pointed more skyward which would make it easier for the strap slot to slide over the button. At lest that seems the most obvious reason for some do and some don't. If Your guitar is worn nearly parallel to the ground, it would be much harder to have it slide from the button.

Archived