Gibson Brands Forums

So how would you sum up your musical career?

daveinspain

Couldn't get it to play.

How would I sum up my musical career?

In a word, "delightful".

More verbose.

Almost made it famous, but didn't because the lawyers and Motown couldn't agree on money. But that's OK. I've played music for a living most of my life, and have no regrets.

I've been treated as a peer by famous musicians, I've met a lot of wonderful people, I've 'dated' more beautiful women that would be available to me if I were an engineer (including the best one - and I married her), I've been my own boss, answered to no one but the audience, enjoy my work (it's my bliss), get applause on the job every 5 minutes or so, I've played music over the USA and overseas as far as China. Although I never got rich, paid off my house, bought new cars, took foreign vacations etc. And most of all, am having a joyful life so far (it's not over yet, thankfully).

I don't ever plan on retiring. I'm having too much fun to quit.

Insights and incites by Notes

I watched about 2 minutes, and stopped. WTF. Seems silly. I hate when people cover The Beatles, cause IMHO no one will top the original.

After watching the whole video I have to agree although I'm covering several Beatles songs with a band I'm drumming and singing for since thirty years. We have lots of fun during rehearsals, but we don't fool around with songs written by other artists, no matter who they are or were.

We also do a cover of "Come Together", and we care meticulously for intonation and timing. The words "one and one and one is three" call for correct, tight rhythm as well as for blue notes of the lower voice, transmogrifying the minor into a Major third. Robin Williams and Bobby McFerrin fail in the video from 19:37 on.

I disagree with George Martin on the "underplay" point when he talks about Céline Dion and "Here, There and Everywhere". I think her approach to the song is much more humble. Nothing is easier than fouling up a "simple" song. I believe any good song played and sung well sounds simple to the listener.

It's also funny how Phil Collins had timing problems doing some vocals.

Finally I never mind anyone of the persons involved, but I'm for sure not interested in the record. Sting was tampering with material credited to himself when he did his "Bring On The Night" project, but George Martin exploited songs he didn't own. An unnecessary attempt in my opinion.

my Career is working in IT,

my passion is playing music, which I started when I was about 10 years old and never looked back.

I've been in loads of bands, played 1,000s of gigs, some spectacular, some I'd rather forget about.

The biggest gig I ever did was opening for Billy Ray Cirrus at Indian Ranch in 1999 with a country rock band.

maybe 10,000 people there that day. Not my "Typical" type of music that I usually play but that gig was a blast.

I'm an ex has-been trying to do something musically in my middle age. Played in a band as a teen, 20 and 30 y/o and took a 20 year hiatus. Back in a band and also writing and recording originals. Chasing the dream!

I began playing badly as a very young beginner. As I aged, I began playing better, but never as well as I wanted. Throughout adulthood, I tried to blend learning more and more with enjoying the music. At this stage of life, I'm still trying to learn what I can - trying not to lose too much of what I already know - and having a great time with all of it. Not famous, celebrated, or a cult figure, but very grateful for what I have.

How would I sum up "My" musical career? Non-existent!

Sure, I play out, whenever I can, and (around here) with

whomever I can. But, I'd hardly call it a "career!" LOL

CB

Non-existent is about right for me too. I was in a band in college that had potential. Our singer and songwriter was incredibly talented. I played lead guitar, and wasn't too bad at it. We were approached early on by some guy who said he was in the recording industry and gave us his business card. I think he was drunk at the time, because when we called him the next week he had no interest in us whatsoever. We had another guitarist who couldn't even play in key but wanted to push me out of the band. I guess it worked, because I got fed up with him and quit. The band dissolved soon after, and such was the demise of anything resembling a music "career" I ever had.

Archived