Gibson Brands Forums

Assessing strings - I flubbed up

ksdaddy

"I'll remember that, no need to write it down anywhere..."

[rolleyes]

I think (THINK) I received a set of Martin SP extra life last forever strings in the mail and that MUST have been 2 years ago or so. Maybe 3. I don't know. I know they were a new kind of string and they were Martin and definitely coated. I put them on the '64 SJ.

Pretty sure anyway. I know they weren't Elixirs; they've already got their market and don't need to be mailing out strings. Not D'Addario either. I could go inside and look for colored balls I guess, just to be sure.

My assessment of the strings is mixed:

On the positive side, they seem to sound and feel just as bright and snappy as when they were new.

On the negative side, they seem to sound and feel just as bright and snappy as when they were new.

It's nice to not have a set go dead but there is a thumpy charm that comes with broken in strings. I have an unknown set on my LYS that was on it when I bought it and I would very much like to know what brand they are. I'm afraid if I put a new set (of ANYthing) on it, that thump will be forever lost. That info is in the ether, but henceforth I plan to write brands, types, and dates down.

I do once in a while. I noticed I last changed the strings on my B45-12 in 2006!

I bought several boxes of Ernie Ball 10's for my electrics back when I was gigging. Still have 1 box left. Last October I restrung my ES-339 for a jam with some old friends and the new, vacuum sealed strings were a little rusty.

But, they were 6 years old..........

The Dunlop 80/20's have a diminished new string brassiness and calm down quickly, but T-Enfelds start out of the box with a broken in tone quality. Even after six months playing a couple hours a day I hesitate to pull them off a guitar that's still voicing nicely.

I write down string changes in my little guitar book. OCD.

I think you are on the right track with the Martin SP etc. My bro recommended these (I am not a coated fan nor even a new string fan) and I sort of liked them.

As for the 10 year old wires on the 12'er, that's about right. I was the same way when I had a 12. I would think I was going to change them and then end up changing the head gasket on the truck or something.

I bought the B45-12 in 2003 and it had Elixirs on it. Sounded great but started shedding eventually. I think I put John Pearse on it in 06. The most amazing thing is that the trapeze tailpiece has exploded TWICE since then and I was able to re-use the strings. I think that tailpiece is almost an inch shorter now, since I've had to cut the rods shorter and re-thread them twice. Good thing I had an extra wrap of strings or two.

Yeah. I really dislike the bell-like clarity of new strings. So much so that I cringe at the thought of a string change. I've been using Elixir Long Life for several years, but have started to get tired of the little flakes that appear to peel off and fall in the sound hole when I'm strumming hard. May go to Martin SPs. I wonder if the ToneRite company has a gizmo for breaking in strings... Doesn't Dunlop make Tennis Racket strings too?

I know they were a new kind of string and they were Martin and definitely coated. I put them on the '64 SJ.

Pretty sure anyway. I know they weren't Elixirs; they've already got their market and don't need to be mailing out strings. Not D'Addario either. I could go inside and look for colored balls I guess, just to be sure.

These Martins were coated/made by Cleartone but i think now Martin make their own coated strings. So, 3 years ago, could have been the previous batches, made by Cleartone.

These Martins were coated/made by Cleartone but i think now Martin make their own coated strings. So, 3 years ago, could have been the previous batches, made by Cleartone.

I had read that as well. I can't say if it was 2-3 years ago but I do know it was when they first came out. I want to say I filled out an online survey and they sent me a set of strings. I had forgotten about it and they just showed up in the mail. I threw them on the SJ and they've been on there ever since.

It's nice to not have a set go dead but there is a thumpy charm that comes with broken in strings.

Yes, imagine the 64 SJ likes faded steel.

You should spoil us with a sound-clip of that fixed bridge old Square.

So do roll the tape'n'camera. It's such a nice looker too.

Archived