Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Which strings?

Dave F

I got an L5 Premier Acoustic today (will post pictures later)

The dealer set it up with electric strings. I definitely want more sound out of it.

Which strings are all of you arch tops using?

Thanks,

Dave

There are a LOT of ways you can go with it.

Roundwound nickel types will give that "electric" sound while being a lot louder. Flats will give the mellow Jazz sound, and on a GOOD "Jazzbox", will also be somewhat warm and woody and dynamic while STILL being mellow.

Could always do acoustic bronze type too.

Thing is with archtops, they are actually louder than they seem. Sometimes when they may seem quiet, the sound still is getting across the room, and still being heard with a lot of other instruments, even if it isn't "out front", if that makes sense.

These are the strings I've been playing on My L-5CES and L-7 acoustic for many years. Went through many string experiments on my archtops, and had settled on D'Addario "Chromes",... until these were recommended to me by John Pizzarelli. I've been hooked ever since.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/la-bella-black-nylon-tape-wound-800-electric-guitar-medium-14-67-4563.html

As these are not available at the Big Box, or even Mom & Pop stores, the above link is also where I buy them.

These are the strings I've been playing on My L-5CES and L-7 acoustic for many years. Went through many string experiments on my archtops, and had settled on D'Addario "Chromes",... until these were recommended to me by John Pizzarelli. I've been hooked ever since.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/la-bella-black-nylon-tape-wound-800-electric-guitar-medium-14-67-4563.html

As these are not available at the Big Box, or even Mom & Pop stores, the above link is also where I buy them.

Larry, would you use those same strings on a purely acoustic L-7? The manufacturer lists them for use on electric archtops.

Larry, would you use those same strings on a purely acoustic L-7? The manufacturer lists them for use on electric archtops.

Yes, I use them on my L-7.

Although my L-7 does have a floating pickup for performance use, it is the guitar I use as an "acoustic" for practicing, rehearsals, porch & living room jams and such. In the studio, I ALWAYS mic it versus plugging it in.

The reason the strings are in the "electric" category, is that they do have a magnetic footprint suitable for standard coil type pickups.

Absolutely beautiful.

She looks in mint condition - must have been well looked after by the previous owner.

Somehow I missed this and just caught your post over in the archtops.

Love it. A fantastic addition to your stable of great guitars.

Congrats and enjoy. . B)

Absolutely beautiful.

She looks in mint condition - must have been well looked after by the previous owner.

Somehow I missed this and just caught your post over in the archtops.

Love it. A fantastic addition to your stable of great guitars.

Congrats and enjoy. . B)

Thanks, it is mint.

It's NOS. I'm the registered owner.

Archived