Gibson Brands Forums

Alzheimer's Benefit Concert

Tman

Played for the Arkansas Alzheimers Association benefit concert , Saturday April 9th, in Little Rock, Arkansas. Reunion of my old band Roxx from when I was in high school in the late 70's. Here are a few photos and a compilation video of snippets from a few songs. First song on the video is Long Time by Boston. I played the same Flying V that I played in the 70's when this band was young. Also playing a 52 hot rod Tele Reissue tuned to open G for the Stones Doom and Gloom. Played a Warmoth Strat that I had just built for Jumping Jack Flash, Free Ride and Tie Your Mother Down. Mesa Transatlantic 45W amp.

Our keyboards player is new to us and is the brother of the bass player (ex roadie turned bassist and we have all remained friends all these years). The keyboard player normally is very quiet and shy and only sings in a church in Memphis. He stepped from behind the keys and the mic cord promptly became disengaged from the mic at 3:40 on the video. He calmly picked it up, reattached, then sang Tie Your Mother Down in front of his own mother who is a preacher in northeast Arkansas (she was shocked but loved it). He nailed it too. It was my favorite song of the night even though I was a lowly rhythm guitar player. :rolleyes:

We raised $15,000 for the event

Stage:

Setup_zps2lq0r8pg.jpg

Gig:

Gig_zpsywlghbsl.jpg

V:

V_zpssp51alhv.jpg

Tie Your Mother Down:

John_zpsjcyeotfm.jpg

Back Up Singers (they were awesome):

Back%20Up%20singers_zpsbefc12qd.jpg

Compilation video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ml-IdeEKFE

Thanks so much for the nice comments. My Mom has dementia and I don't know if it is Alzheimer's (literally old timers in German-please correct me Capmaster if I am wrong) or senile dementia which is also found in older people. Dementia is a broad term and Alzheimer's is a form.

I am doing this benefit because I want to help those going through it. Chances are, if I am lucky enough to live another 20-30 years, I'll get it as well. Doing something I love, like playing guitar, is a no brainier and absolutely no weird pun intended.

Thanks so much for the nice comments. My Mom has dementia and I don't know if it is Alzheimer's (literally old timers in German-please correct me Capmaster if I am wrong) or senile dementia which is also found in older people. Dementia is a broad term and Alzheimer's is a form.

I am doing this benefit because I want to help those going through it. Chances are, if I am lucky enough to live another 20-30 years, I'll get it as well. Doing something I love, like playing guitar, is a no brainier and absolutely no weird pun intended.

Well even more reason to give you kudos as most of the impact for people with those type of diseases is on family members. It has to be really hard my heart goes out to you and your family.

Well even more reason to give you kudos as most of the impact for people with those type of diseases is on family members. It has to be really hard my heart goes out to you and your family.

Thanks Kelly. She is in assisted living and when I saw her 2 weeks ago she said she was happy. That made me happy.

Nothing like a good benefit. You guys get all props for a beautiful job.

rct

Thanks man. I typically play only one good sized gig a year and this is it (since we started it a few years ago). Makes me feel like a momentary rock star.

on the left, holy smokes she's good lookin

They were both amazing and added such a dimension to the gig on Stones songs, Edgar Winter, and a bunch of songs really. I had a cold before the gig and asked the girl on the left to sing "Jealous Again". She tore it up and said she really related to the message of the song. [biggrin]

[thumbup] H3LL yeah! You guys sounded great. Nice job. And you're right he killed on Tie Your Mother Down (prolly my favorite Queen song).

Thanks SP! It's my favorite Queen sing too and really fun to play. In fact it was my favorite song that we played even though I was completely relegated to rhythm guitarist. [scared]

Thanks SP! It's my favorite Queen sing too and really fun to play. In fact it was my favorite song that we played even though I was completely relegated to rhythm guitarist. [scared]

Nope, you are completely wrong. We are guitar players, there is no other word in front, and nobody is ever "relegated" to anything.

rct

No shame in holding down that groove solid. [thumbup]

Nope, you are completely wrong. We are guitar players, there is no other word in front, and nobody is ever "relegated" to anything.

rct

You're both right.

When we played back in the 70's, I was the "lead" guitarist; a regular legend in my own mind. Now when we get together after all those years everything is spread out very evenly. I meant it when I said the most fun song for me that night was playing Queen. It is playing guitar,.... plain and simple. [thumbup] I'm happy to be doing it.

You're both right.

When we played back in the 70's, I was the "lead" guitarist; a regular legend in my own mind. Now when we get together after all those years everything is spread out very evenly. I meant it when I said the most fun song for me that night was playing Queen. It is playing guitar,.... plain and simple. [thumbup] I'm happy to be doing it.

It is fun out in front, it is fun taking big solos and little ones, it is great fun singing lead or even better hitting the harmonies like beauty. But honestly, I am happiest back with the drummer, making chuggin along keepin it tight and not missing a damn thing look easy while the other two do all the singing and soloing, it's the best. The three guys out front always make sure we each get a couple songs a set to hang back.

rct

It is fun out in front, it is fun taking big solos and little ones, it is great fun singing lead or even better hitting the harmonies like beauty. But honestly, I am happiest back with the drummer, making chuggin along keepin it tight and not missing a damn thing look easy while the other two do all the singing and soloing, it's the best. The three guys out front always make sure we each get a couple songs a set to hang back.

rct

Yaousa man (or however you spell it). It was a nice mix of supporting and of stardom. I now get as much pleasure watching the other guys shine as I do shining and there was plenty of both at this gig.

Making sure your partner gets the big O is as much a thrill [thumbup][biggrin]

Archived