Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone

JuanCarlosVejar

2 hours ago, Drewdog said:

Since you like to be nit picky about my writing skills gibson's is a possessive noun whereas gibsons means plural. I must have hit a nerve with the iq thing there. However you did something that I admire and will shut me right up and I apologize for  everything I said about you. Thank you for your service. I certainly can't top that. I was too fat to join the service so I became a teacher. All I said was in jest. I hope sir you can forgive me.  

I don't need to be thanked for serving my country. I did it of my own free will. And if you paid taxes (I finished up my degree while I was in the Coast Guard in 2003) you paid for my college degree, so thank you. And like I said I have a Liberal Arts Degree, I was not an English Major. But I do know how to spell add correctly. And usually IQ is capitalized.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't need to be thanked for serving my country. I did it of my own free will. And if you paid taxes (I finished up my degree while I was in the Coast Guard in 2003) you paid for my college degree, so thank you. And like I said I have a Liberal Arts Degree, I was not an English Major. But I do know how to spell add correctly. And usually IQ is capitalized.

Different from me....I was drafted....didn't want to go, but wouldn't shirk my duty.

Got my degree (Business) on the GI Bill after my return from 'Nam.

Doesn't begin to cover the fact that I was exposed to Agent Orange (as were most of the GI's who were 'boots on the ground' troops there).   That is why there are only 800,000 of us left (out of 2.5 Million who served).

Not complaining....not bragging.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Different from me....I was drafted....didn't want to go, but wouldn't shirk my duty.

Got my degree (Business) on the GI Bill after my return from 'Nam.

Doesn't begin to cover the fact that I was exposed to Agent Orange (as were most of the GI's who were 'boots on the ground' troops there).   That is why there are only 800,000 of us left (out of 2.5 Million who served).

Not complaining....not bragging.....

Where you went no one would want to go. My father-in-law was in Vietnam and he never talked about it. When I joined I didn't think I was going to be in a war, but sure enough 1991 mid-January I was in the Persian Gulf watching Tomahawk missiles fly over my Frigate headed to Baghdad.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where you went no one would want to go. My father-in-law was in Vietnam and he never talked about it. When I joined I didn't think I was going to be in a war, but sure enough 1991 mid-January I was in the Persian Gulf watching Tomahawk missiles fly over my Frigate headed to Baghdad.

Thanks for your service, brother.

I KNEW I was headed to a place where the sum*****es were shooting at me.....but that's just the way it goes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks for your service, brother.

I KNEW I was headed to a place where the sum*****es were shooting at me.....but that's just the way it goes!

No matter what branch you served in, and I am guessing Army, you did what had to be done. We all rib each other from other branches, but we who served know what it means to give up our lives and spend a lot of time away from our families when we wanted to do other stuff. I didn't get drafted like you, but if I didn't join the military I would be a even more of a worthless t-urd than I am now. 

• Like 2

No matter whether you guys feel you need to be thanked for your service or not, I say thanks to you both and all who served.  By the way Sgt. Pepper.  My cousin is running around Hampton Rd’s playing his mother’s pre-war D18. He goes by Chip.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J185cat said:

No matter whether you guys feel you need to be thanked for your service or not, I say thanks to you both and all who served.  By the way Sgt. Pepper.  My cousin is running around Hampton Rd’s playing his mother’s pre-war D18. He goes by Chip.

I got at 2019 D-18.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J185cat said:

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wondering if there are any long-term thoughts of the IBG epiphones. I imagine that Anderton's shootout pretty well covers it- the hummingbird is a sleeper and others dont quite live up to their gibson namesakes. I wonder if the consensus is that these  probably fall short of the masterbilts in terms of overall quality. but have the looks? 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, cunningham26 said:

Wondering if there are any long-term thoughts of the IBG epiphones. I imagine that Anderton's shootout pretty well covers it- the hummingbird is a sleeper and others dont quite live up to their gibson namesakes. I wonder if the consensus is that these  probably fall short of the masterbilts in terms of overall quality. but have the looks? 

They are Masterbilts except by name. They use the same spec woods and electronics, and even say "Masterbilt" (or a short code for it) on the shipping label if you get an original box. I suspect the branding was changed very late in development. The prototype J-200 that they sold through the Gibson Demo Shop (which Trogly then bought and re-sold for double the price) even says "Masterbilt J-200" on the label.

Aside from the AJ-45ME, past Masterbilts have never been so closely based on Gibson models to get a direct comparison.

I'm strongly considering the Hummingbird 12-string, if I can find one in person to try. I've been after the Roy Orbison signature Bard they made a while ago, but I missed a couple a few months ago and the one currently for sale is listed for twice the price.