Gibson Brands Forums

String mixing/matching

MorrisrownSal

ladies and gents,

I have Martin Retros, which are a light gauge, on my J50. I love the sound.

I know Martin also makes a medium set( Tony Rice). I have been thinking of taking the low E and A from the mediums, and mixing them with the top 4 strings from the Lights. Has anyone done this?

I'd consider trying this with Retros, as they last forever.

I didn't mean in a torrified tops or highly figured grain way . Just meant a truck load of opinions.

I've never done anything like mix strings , unless I've broke one at a gig and have to borrow whatever someone else might have .

Then fresh set on when I get home

I did once but the John Pearce bluegrass ones which have mixed gauge kinda .

But never felt the need to have 2 PB 3 80/20's and an electric string or anything like that

Sounds like the sort of witchcraft that em7 will have opinion on .

I'll watch the thread for the craic , but can't see me joining in this particular line of mucking around

Whatever floats your boat though

🙄😄

I run standard Martin PB lights on my J-50 and replace the low E string with a standard Martin PB medium. Sometimes, if I want more volume and clarity in the bass, I'll substitute medium A and D strings as well. It works well for flatpicking and also for fingerpicking when I want to hear more 'thump' from the alternating bass.

I have been thinking of taking the low E and A from the mediums, and mixing them with the top 4 strings from the Lights. Has anyone done this?

After using them for awhile, I decided that I don't like the Martin Retro strings. However I have settled on using the top 3 strings from a set of Martin custom light acoustic SP strings (MSP4050) with the bottom 3 strings from Martin medium acoustic SP strings (MSP4200). This gives me the following

Really happy with this. In fact, it's had a major impact on my playing and I just stocked up on them. Have used a similar system on my 1974 J-50 and 2008 J-50, although with different brands of strings. Finally settled on this with the 1965 J-50, which is the only guitar I really play anymore.

Why would it be a "can of worms"? They are all Martin Phosphor Bronze. Where is it carved in stone that you can only use strings in the sizes that are chosen by someone else?

[quote name='Boyd' timestamp='1461762164' post='1764725'

Why would it be a "can of worms"? They are all Martin Phosphor Bronze. Where is it carved in stone that you can only use strings in the sizes that are chosen by someone else?

'Can of worms' didn't mean anything bad

Just meant that there will be a lot of variation on folks ideas .

It doesn't say anything anywhere about what strings you should use , and if it did I certainly wouldn't pay any attention to it

I don't care if you all string the guitars with shoelaces and spaghetti

'Can of worms' didn't mean anything bad

Just meant that there will be a lot of variation on folks ideas .

It doesn't say anything anywhere about what strings you should use , and if it did I certainly wouldn't pay any attention to it

I don't care if you all string the guitars with shoelaces and spaghetti

No thank you! Hate both of 'em, even in their usual applications....

Been using the Retro lights on my 1939 J 35 reissue for the last year and love them on it. Martin makes a Bluegrass set .013/.056 in the Retro's , you could make up a set from them and lights.

Knock yourself out. The Custom Light is my favorite. I usually keep a guitar strung with the Nashville. Another thing I like to do is buy 12-string sets and mixing them up.

There's probably more than this

16-24-25-23-31-39 CLASSIC S

14-20-30-42-54-70 BARITONE

14-18-27-39-49-59 HEAVY

13-17-26-35-45-56 MEDIUM

13-17-25-32-42-53 HD LIGHT

12-16-25-32-42-54 LIGHT

11-15-22-32-42-52 CUSTOM LIGHT

10-14-23-30-39-47 EXTRA LIGHT

10-14-09-12-18-27 NASHVILLE

I'm all over the place on mine. :) I buy in bulk and make my own custom set. On the dreads (square or slope), I tune 1/2 step down and go with:

14 18 28 36 46 56

So it is basically heavies on the high three strings (except the G string is a 28, slightly more than a heavy because my up stroke really hits the G String hard so I need it to be solid with no flop), slightly above a medium on two strings (D and A), and the low E is a standard medium.

I don't do it, primarily because I'm lazy, but I've got several friends who do that regularly. They like the bass response from the heavier strings. It seems to be a pretty common thing. And "Amen" on the Martin Retros. Got them on two my guitars now and I like the feel and sound of them.

I tend to use custom lights 11s, but the other day I considered replacing the two high strings with two from a set of 12s or even 13s. I mentioned this on another acoustic board and was recommended John Pearse new mediums. I am going to try a set on an Avian Songbird as it is the one guitar I feel needs a bit more weight in the trebles.

Sounds like the sort of witchcraft that em7 will have opinion on .

Hehe, , a serious mixer of pins, but never really strings. However a very well-skilled and highly pro acoustic western-string player I happen to know, prefers his own blend. Not in tobacco, but regarding steel under his claws. Uses J. Pearse and uses this combo 0.12, 0.16, 0.23, 0.32, 0.42, 0.55 - the third 1 down for flexibility and the 6'th 1 up for fat dropped bass.

Regarding the torrefried tops, bbg, I saw your comment a few days ago at BirdMans place. Wondered but never bothered to ask :

Have you actually encountered and played one of those ? Just curious here. .

Archived