Gibson Brands Forums

I'm playing Stanstock 2016

saturn

Stanstock began a few years ago as some guy named Stan organizing a big reunion of the great local bands from the 1970s, '80s and '90s. It's turned in to a big, two day festival with all proceeds going to cancer and veterans charities.

The keyboard player in my old, and current band is older than me and been playing the area since the 1960s. He's been doing Stanstock with some of his mates from back-in-the-day since it started. This year their guitarist can't attend so he asked me to fill in. I was honored. We are he opening act on Day 1 and are going to do one set. I have our first rehearsal today.

Some of the musicians are or were very big around these parts. Face Dancer was awesome. Also Great Train Robbery, Rob Fahey and Carey Zeigler are great. I'm thinking the Mystery Band might turn out to be Crack The Sky..... :-k I'm hoping none of those guys are there yet when we play or I'll be super nervous.

http://stanstock.org/

This song will certain be played and get a huge reaction.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to it. It should be a good time, and it's for a good cause.

The way I understand it, I only have to bring my guitars and whatever pedals I use. The drums, amps an PA is all provided.

• 3 months later...

Well, the big even is this Saturday. Had our last rehearsal tonight. The band I'm playing with is called Turn Blue and we are first up. [scared]

As I suspected, Crack The Sky is the band that was billed as Mystery Band. I'm nervous as hell thinking I might be playing in front of some of the best local musicians, and ones I've been fans of for years.

From what I understand, the stage amps are shared with all the performers. Looks like I'll be playing through some type of Marshal stack.

Our set list will be

Pride and Joy (warm-up)

I Feel Fine

Feelin' Alright

Natural Thing (Doobie Brothers)

Tennessee Whiskey ( Chris Stapleton)

Long Time Gone (CSN)

Breakdown ( Tom Petty me on vocals [scared] )

Dark Eyed Cajun Woman (Doobie Brothers)

Spooky (ARS)

Black Magic Woman

Breakdown Dead Ahead (Boz Scaggs)

Wish me luck (yeah I'm fishing) :rolleyes:

The song names in your set list read like a bit of an emotional roller-coaster - hopefully not prophetic [biggrin]

hope it all goes great for you [thumbup]

Thanks. They came up with the set list. I'm just filling in on guitar, so I'm playing whatever they want. Some of the songs I'd never even heard before. We dropped a few others that I also had never heard, like "Look at You Look At Me" by Dave Mason and "Empty Pages" by Traffic.

Remember, this band used to play back in the early 1970s, when I was just a few years old. :)

Well, it was a great gig! Thanks everyone...

It was really rushed and chaotic setting up and then getting off to make way for the following band. But, I think we did a great set. The crowd was really enthusiastic. It was an experience I won' forget. I haven't seen the figures yet, but I know a lot of money way raised.

The Marshal I used was I think a JCM? and it was SWEET! Maybe "sweet" isn't the best word to describe it. :rolleyes:

In all the chaos, I only snapped one (bad) photo.

IMG_1337_zpso3ngl5gy.jpg

My wife took some pics on her phone, but with the lighting it all came out just as shadows. I know there were others there taking photos and video, so I hope to be able to get hold of some of that at some time.

Archived