Gibson Brands Forums

UPDATE: Solved!!! They contacted me! When Gibson doesn't reply...

Jesse_Dylan

... Ben from Gibson reached out here on the forum and had me e-mail him personally. ... Thanks to Gibson Montana and Ben!

Good for you. And glad to hear someone from Bozeman is keeping an eye on the Acoustic sub-forum. . B)

I'm glad things worked out for you personally, but what about customers who aren't members of this forum? Do their messages go unanswered until and unless they become members of this forum and someone from Gibson happens to chance upon a post? That seems like a Chinese way to do business, not American.

Good for you they answeared, but honestly, I wouldn't contact Gibson if the painting was wearing off my pickguard. I don't even get why they send another one. If you play the guitar, it will wear off, partially at least.

1466482591[/url]' post='1779170']

I'm so glad things finally went your way, Jesse! [thumbup]

Things have been going his way since he crossed the country with a car load of ........used musical .........things (notice I didn't say junk) and traded for, in my opinion, the best looking acoustic guitar ever made by Gibson! Now we don't wanna hear you complaining in 2 or 3 years that you've been playing your bird so much that the frets are showing signs of wear. Just kidding Jesse! I'm glad everything worked out for you and even more happy that Gibson actually took action on this issue. I think it's time Gibson revamped the way they painted these guards because this issue is far from being solved even if they give everyone who buys a Hummingbird or J-200 an extra pickguard. What happens when pickguard #2 and #3 wears out?Maybe they should be engraving the p/g's .010" deeper then applying the paint and a clear sealer over the top.

As I recall, when Jesse was first discussing getting an H'Bird here, he was hesitant because the paint wears off where you strum it. Many companies offer replacement parts if you return your defective part, I'm curious if this is a precedent. A new definition of "defective"? I had thought you could only get a replacement from Bozeman if you were the original owner, and paid for the replacement, which was expensive. Someone here suggested awhile back in a similar thread that Gibson provide various pickguards with new guitars and not attach any of them. That would also solve the placement issues some have. Maybe Gibson could leave the tuners off as well, and offer a coupon so you could buy the kind you want. Saddle, pins, the possibilities are endless. We could all get the exact guitar we want! The same concept works well here in the malls at a store called "Build A Bear". Children pick out their base model Teddy Bear, and can then go on to choose from all different options like ten different kinds of hats, dozens of shoes, dresses. Even roller skates. Of course the parent pays A LOTmore for this than a standard teddy bear at Walmart. To get around this "price point" issue, Gibson could just sell base guitars without add-ones like saddles, electronics, strap pins, pickguards, etc. leaving off tuners would solve the "dead strings" problem too! Bozeman could ship their guitars in the same sturdy, well packed cardboard boxes without a case (providing the new owner a coupon for that too) and eliminate the complaints about the standard cases they use. This, would lower their prices and solve all the complaints people have who want "that Gibson tone" but feel that Gibson Acoustics are too expensive. It sounds like a win/win!

For a few years, early to mid 1960's, the paint didn't wear off H-bird pickguards. My '65 has retained its colors perfectly. Then something changed. Find out what, change back, problem solved. It's hard for me to imagine that whatever it takes to do that wouldn't be more cost effective than giving pickguards away to make good (and deserving) customers happy.

That's great news. Glad for you Jesse.

Gibson has replied me rather fast for my standard hummy pickguard : it was separating (upper face/lower face bubbles on the edges).

At this time it is a cosmetic issue so i didnt want to send my guitar yet to an authorized gibson repair center because i'm afraid that removing pickguard and puting a new guard on results in new cosmetic flaws, what do you think?

I noticed it is slightly curling on corners but it is almost not noticeable, i just pull it down with my finger when it happens.

Has anyone already had his pickguard replaced by an authorized repair center, and was it a very clean repair without any consequence?

I'm glad they contacted you and resolved your issue, although, like others, I'm surprised they took care of the issue when paint coming off these types of guards is almost to be expected.

This brings me to my question about this issue. Have there been any solutions to the paint coming off these front-engraved guards? I love the "feel" of the engraving under my fingers while playing my SJ200 Golden Age and I'm concerned about losing the paint through just normal playing. I don't want to NOT play this guitar. For me it is not a museum piece. But is there some treatment, like shooting nitro or another clear lacquer over it that would keep the paint in place longer?

Here's my SJ200 Golden Age pickguard (scratchplate for those in the UK):

2016-06-21%2012.12.43.jpg

While it's comforting to hear that the folks in Gibson's customer service department are still responsive and pro-active in these post-Jeremy times, I hope it isn't just a case of the squeaky wheel getting the oil. It sounds like many players have silently accepted wearing off the paint on their sound-hole decoration when they could be receiving two! (2!) complimentary SHDs for the loudly asking. Surely, Gibson doesn't want to establish this as policy. But it would be nice to see some of the shy members of this community get their just due. (Relax Gibson people, all my Gibsons are currently second, third and tenth hand.)

As for owners who haven't found these boards, I'd say logic would suggest to them to seek out these boards when they have an issue. We've seen plenty of people show up here and post for the first time about one issue or another. Some stick around and make friends, others disappear shortly after they get the answer they need. Such is life.

Introverts unite!

While it's comforting to hear that the folks in Gibson's customer service department are still responsive and pro-active in these post-Jeremy times, I hope it isn't just a case of the squeaky wheel getting the oil. It sounds like many players have silently accepted wearing off the paint on their sound-hole decoration when they could be receiving two! (2!) complimentary SHDs for the loudly asking. Surely, Gibson doesn't want to establish this as policy. But it would be nice to see some of the shy members of this community get their just due. (Relax Gibson people, all my Gibsons are currently second, third and tenth hand.)

As for owners who haven't found these boards, I'd say logic would suggest to them to seek out these boards when they have an issue. We've seen plenty of people show up here and post for the first time about one issue or another. Some stick around and make friends, others disappear shortly after they get the answer they need. Such is life.

Introverts unite!

Two Thumbs Up !

Archived