Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Versus 'Super' Strat

ilovegibsons

This is the last time. I will have the money in a few weeks. Then I will get on to posting pics and being a Gibson owner! I'm sorry if I hav been p*ssing you guys of, but you've been really helpful to me and I thank you all for that. I'll be keeping a low profile until I buy one, and even then I'll be keeping it down a bit (less time posting, more time playing!). So this is the last question I'll be asking for a few weeks. See 'Ya!

If I could own only one guitar and had to choose between the two' date=' I'd go with the super Strat just for the versatility.

[/quote']

That's right... between that humbucker in the bridge and the 2 singles you have lots of tones to chose from... and you can install one of those single sized HBs in the neck anyway (with coil tapping that is).

BUT

(BIG BUT)

I preffer gibsons... if you are going for an american HSS strat make it a deluxe... for less I think you should check out the mex hss and start thinking about getting crazy with mods.

Not a rule, just my opinion (I think an american standard tele is well worth the money but an american standard strat not so much, but that's just me)

My ideal would be a hardtail Strat with a bridge humbucker (not sure which, maybe a Gibson 498T just to piss off the Burstbucker fanatics but probably a low wind Lollar Imperial - haven't tried one though) and 57/62 single coils in the middle and neck. Slap on a soft V shaped neck and ebony fretboard with small, vintage-style frets rather than jumbos.

Guitarist now don't go sicking your dogs on me, but what the hell are you saying? Is there a physics paper somewhere that explains harmonically where that theory comes from. I don't know what rhy is, but I would think the humbuckers, strings, density of the guitar, chambered or not, even weather it has binding (to a small degree) would have effect on the over all harmonics. The same reason you can pick up two LP Standards and have a different quality of sound.

I see what you mean. I'll take a guess that he's saying you can get additional rhythm sounds with single coil pickups, particularly when playing with overdrive where a humbucker in the neck tends to sound muddy when playing chords in that situation.

I dunno. I'll try 'em both out. I think that the Gibson might be better, for one small reason.

While I play mainly rock and hard rock (etc.) I sometimes play jazz and blues. However, the LP was created as a 'jazz and blues' guitar, and it rocks out. So methinks the Trad will work for both. Like I said, I don't know until I play it. I find myself using Neck humbucker sounds quite a lot, and I don't want to lose that screamin' neck tone. I just wiish someone made an H/S/H guitar! (or better an H/S/S/H guitar, but I doubt that would work!)

Dude... that traditional is going to butter your nut in a way that no strat ever could. Seriously.

I think you should just lock in on the traditional and start the arduous task of picking which finish you want.

Ebony has already caught my eye. I love it AND its cheaper (not that I care!)

Archived