Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of a Tele. Help!!!

adamlovesgin

I have had Gibsons and Guilds for many years. I had a 1991 Stratocaster that I never really bonded with, part of the problem was a Kahler someone had installed. When I bought my first Telecaster it was a aha moment for me, "now I understand". I never understood the draw of an esquire either but now I realize a lot of magic happens right there at the bridge pick up. I got my Tele late last year after playing for 30 years! Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks John

I have had Gibsons and Guilds for many years. I had a 1991 Stratocaster that I never really bonded with, part of the problem was a Kahler someone had installed. When I bought my first Telecaster it was a aha moment for me, "now I understand". I never understood the draw of an esquire either but now I realize a lot of magic happens right there at the bridge pick up. I got my Tele late last year after playing for 30 years! Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks John

I got my 1st Gibson (& 1st Ric this year) last year after 45 years playing. If you stop learning, something's wrong!

It's funny, ask someone who's into teles why they like them so much, and almost every time they'll come up with....

"They're easy to mod",

"You can remove the neck",

"It makes you work harder"

etc etc.

Of course, qualities like "sound" and "playability" are of no concern.

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $500 + on a guitar I want it to sound and play great with no mods.

I am sorry that that is your experience with your local players, Adam.

To be fair, I have never once (in my own life's experiences) heard a Telecaster fan discuss ease of modifications, removing the neck, or how hard they are to play.

And you must surely note this as well, in all the responses on this very thread, there was not even one time that the respondents mentioned any of those three subjects.

The Tele owners that I know generally comment on how natural and intuitively their Tele neck plays, how unique the 'chicken-picking' tones are, and what a versatile guitar it is.

And I have met exactly one Tele player in my life who modified his axe;

John English is a Birmingham blues player who took his Squier Telecaster apart, dropped a genuine Fender neck pickup in it, mounted a Warmoth neck and tuners, and plays it (to this day) with no headstock stickers whatsoever.

(He's a humble guy, and in his own words, "Not into labels, just tone.")

Just trying to be fair.

I'm a big Gibson fan, always have been.

But there's nothing wrong with exploring the other brands, and complimenting your Gibson with another (very different) tone machine.

If it's not for you, it's not for you, and that's okay.

:unsure:

Thin line teles are nice (like that with the one F hole), I think they usually have humbuckers but that one, doesn't. DOUBLE NICE!. The red one Rob is holding, now that's more like it... I love the Deluxe Tele's with the binding !! WOOF !!, the rosewood neck "looks" right, but IMHO a tele and a maple neck go together like hotdogs and relish.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Fender Tele in 1967. I still own that guitar. The action is super low with no fret buzz. I also own a newer American Deluxe Tele which I also like. I don't take the 67 out of the house, it's too valuable. I have also owned a lot of Gibson's. I love the 335. I mostly play the 335 now, but I believe everyone should own at least one Telecaster. They are solid guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new here, so HELLO all, and I also own a Fender Tele and just purchased a Gibson ES335. It should be arriving shortly.

A08096-body-large.jpg

A08096-front-large.jpg

Hello, and yes, man, she looks niiice! [love] Congrats on her! [thumbup]

Nice choice Al !

You cant use a 335 for a cricket bat though.

[biggrin] Do you think he does that to his Tele, or are you doing so? [scared]

[flapper] ;)

NG3XdfH.jpg

Well, I ordered then returned the '58 ES335 (really wanted that fretboard binding) and purchased this beautiful ES345.

Here is a photo of my two children. I'm hoping these two will serve me well with a little bit blues, a little bit Jazz, and a tiny bit rock n' roll. The only thing I may look t buy in time is a Fender Strat; sure wish I had never sold my '57 sea foam green reissue Strat some 15 years ago.

I told my wife that I was going to sell the Tele when i got the 345 but they are both such a joy to play, and are both so different, that I think both are here to stay.

• 2 months later...

I can't understand some of the comments about Teles. It seems to me that many of those people who are not keen probably have not experienced the right combination of Tele and amp. I have had a number of Teles over the years and I have a few preferences. Choose one that is light (alder) with a nitro finish. I prefer a maple board with medium jumbo frets, but some rosewood boards can be a really nice flavour. Make sure you have the ashtray bridge with compensated brass saddles. I have upgraded the pickups on umpteen Teles and my preference at the moment is a Shed Esquire on the bridge and a Florence Voodoo ST 60 Strat pickup in the neck position.The Shed is a bit micro-phonic but the sound is to die for. Quite hot with some heat behind the sound but incredibly articulate. I would prefer an aged butterscotch, however at the moment I have a Japanese JD that I have refinished with red nitro and added a forearm comfort contour and even managed to find someone to redo the binding.

Teles are there to be modified and experimented with - something I really would hesitate to do with my 335. There is something about the bridge pickup that has a sweetness and power that no other guitar can match. If there is a Gibson equivalent it might be the the Les Paul Special - but I never could get the range of tone I can get from the Tele. A guitar like a Tele is a journey you take over a lifetime.

Buy what you like. Kids come and go, Guitars are forever. Some day, you will be in a diaper or in the cemetery and your Kids will come for your guitars.

Its only money. You can always make more of it. at least that is what I tell myself when the iron weight of guilt hits me right between the shoulders.

Life it a B**ch if buying a guitar helps you get through, the miracle and stress that is on the way.... Do it. In 6 months you may not be able to.

Archived