Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson 2017 guitars details and pictures

Rabs

My theory: Gibson themselves can get away with a "coming soon", whereas dealerships, as soon as they get the specs, want to be the first to publish them, because they want to be the first to get orders.

G-Force again... will stores have to sell them for cheap just like last year? If they bought the compaany making them, Gibson obviously will not just give up on them. Rock and a hard place.

You're probably right. Makes sense on the retail level. But you'd still think they'd be the first to present their products to the world. [biggrin]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... not sure I'm really feeling it this year (2017)... at least not so far. Oh, there are a few bright points, but most of models I am most interested in aren't working for me.

2016 was a palette of color choices for the LPs... not so much in 2017 it appears (at least not so far). Pretty limited in terms of traditional colors. If you're into wild colors though this might be your year. The LP Classic in Ocean Green Burst... that, though, I could own. I'd prefer it with a 50s neck, but I could probably live with it for that color. Very sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson-M2-family_zpspgyfgl37.jpg

I bet the mounting of the pickguard is as insufficient to withstand the force of unplugging as on my 2013 EB basses. <_< After I had broken one, Gibson supplied a spare pickguard without charge, and I added two more screws. Nevertheless it bends up alarmingly while unplugging, and I always hold it down to avoid damage. :unsure:

I bet the mounting of the pickguard is as insufficient to withstand the force of unplugging as on my 2013 EB basses. <_< After I had broken one, Gibson supplied a spare pickguard without charge, and I added two more screws. Nevertheless it bends up alarmingly while unplugging, and I always hold it down to avoid damage. :unsure:

Those Neutrik and Switchcraft open frame stereo jacks really hold on to the plug tightly. If you bend the prongs out slightly they will realease the plug with less tension

Those Neutrik and Switchcraft open frame stereo jacks really hold on to the plug tightly. If you bend the prongs out slightly they will realease the plug with less tension

I prefer jacks with a strong grip and don't want to lower their tension. They feel safer to me than tube jacks and multi-contact plastic jacks including switches that I can't avoid on some guitars, i particular hybrids with piezos. The tube socket of my 1986 Ibanez RG needed to be replaced twice up to now, and all the others are original.

I've been checking them all out on the net lately and the differences. I still prefer the older Flame Tops much better and Bursts. Always wanted to get a fancy Quilt top too. But I do like that Green for some reason and I've always hated green guitars. The 3 top choices for me If, I was going to get one would be; .1 Les Paul Standard. .2 Les Paul Traditional, .3 Les Paul Classic. My taste is not interested in Flying V's or Firebirds.

Everything we keep seeing posted at various retailers websites seems to confirm that 2017 will be a year of limited color options... at least in the regular USA line (e.g., Traditionals, Standards, Studios, etc). Only 3 on the Trad and Studio and 4 on the Standard in 2017??? In 2016 there were 6 on the Trad, 9 on the Studio, and 11 on the Standard! I wonder why they are going with such limited color palette this year? Maybe because they are going so crazy with the colors on the new "cheap" lines (M2 and Custom Studio)??? IDK, seems very strange.

I've been looking at getting a Trad in Iced Tea for a while now and was waiting to see what the 2017s would offer. No such color this year apparently. Guess I'll go for another 2016 Trad instead.

Everything we keep seeing posted at various retailers websites seems to confirm that 2017 will be a year of limited color options... at least in the regular USA line (e.g., Traditionals, Standards, Studios, etc). Only 3 on the Trad and Studio and 4 on the Standard in 2017??? In 2016 there were 6 on the Trad, 9 on the Studio, and 11 on the Standard! I wonder why they are going with such limited color palette this year? Maybe because they are going so crazy with the colors on the new "cheap" lines (M2 and Custom Studio)??? IDK, seems very strange.

I've been looking at getting a Trad in Iced Tea for a while now and was waiting to see what the 2017s would offer. No such color this year apparently. Guess I'll go for another 2016 Trad instead.

That honey burst Trad is quite nice...

The appearance really shouldn't matter but, frankly, they just don't 'grab' me. Almost feel they have run out of ideas so we'll produce them with pretty colours [English spullin, Sir Spellcheck. So there [flapper] )

When you've already produced the best guitar designs of all-time, I'd imagine it must be hard to keep things "fresh". It's a tall order to improve upon perfection.

I think Gibson did a great job for 2017.

All the things we were complaining about in 2015, were solved in a satisfying way. They given us the choice of the high-performance and traditional models, instead of the forcing high tech features on us. The ugly switch in place of the tone pot is gone. Now, all these sound options are triggered by push-pull pots.

No weight relief on the Traditional Les Paul makes it an affordable variant of a Reissue.

Attractive new finishes: I love the Antique Burst Traditional. Also, the Black Cherry Burst on Studios is very, very nice!

The V, and the Explorer is back. An affordable Firebird Studio is available too.

Some nice, low-cost models with Norlin-era styling are offered too.

In my opinion, Gibson over-complicated the palette of entry-level models a bit, with too many Les Paul Studio-like models. But, more options are still better than less.

Bence.

Yeah I agree.. I don't have an issue with what happened in 2016 or the new ones..

I really don't like the over chromy look of the new HPs but then I don't really care cos I wont be buying one anyway... Will it put other people off... Probably but then im sure many will like them too...

And as long as theres a T line and choice then im cool with it... The only year I actually had a personal issue with was the 2015s (not that its any business of mine what they do, that's up to them).. But the total sweeping changes and no choice, and I just think it was a silly thing for them to do....

I did find the 2017 line up all a bit underwhelming but then what more can they really do now? And I think that's what Gibson suffer from... They are damned if they do and damned if they don't... they try new things and people moan that's not a real Les Paul, they make traditional ones and people moan Gibson just keep doing the same thing... 2017 lets say they have gone a bit down the middle.. and people will still moan.... lol bloody internet [rolleyes]

Yeah I agree.. I don't have an issue with what happened in 2016 or the new ones..

I really don't like the over chromy look of the new HPs but then I don't really care cos I wont be buying one anyway... Will it put other people off... Probably but then im sure many will like them too...

Me neither, but there are alternatives to my liking. I appreciate that.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't... they try new things and people moan that's not a real Les Paul, they make traditional ones and people moan Gibson just keep doing the same thing... 2017 lets say they have gone a bit down the middle.. and people will still moan.... lol bloody internet [rolleyes]

Yes, I understand that. That's a tough thing to overcome.

Bence.

Archived