Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Hummingbird demo

Jalex

Thanks for sharing, we've all been waiting.

'

Its quite an interesting tone I must say, robust, as Dan described it is quite accurate. I was surprised also how much it rings out, as 'ringing out' is something i would not associate with a Hummingbird generally. The guitar does sound lovelly, especially finger picked with a real dose of midrange.

However, it doesnt seem, at least from this recording, sound fully like I would expect from a Hummingbird, specifically that soft, velvety, nectar tone. Its actually quite bright sounding, but im guessing its a combination of average rocording quality and probably fresh strings - am i right ?

Would be great to hear her again through a decent mike with played in strings, are you using 80/20's or PB's, and which gage ?

I like this 63'er a lot - it gets real birdish as soon as the strumming begins.

And you treat it 'better' than the dude from from Norman's Rare Guitars would. He's cühl, but often beats the oldies too hard to really serve the sound they keep inside.

The poetic finger-picking in the last half shows a rich and beautiful and even voice - though I for my part would have liked a bit more bass in the recording.

You should repeat this pattern in front of the cam when the strings fade.

Bet it'll reveal new layers of this 50+flyer. The invaluable vintage wine - the genuine trumpet-flower nectar.

There's your Sun/Monday song, right there. It begins at t= 1:45 when you put that pick down and find the tone with some fingerstyle. Sounds absolutely gorgeous. Is that an iPhone you've recorded it on? If so, you could mic up with the Apogee MiC 96k to capture more sound. And yes, The D'Addario's tend to the bright side, esp when new. You could even pop that Plate-Mate off (just slacken the strings, capo on fret 2 or 3, pull pins, do as shown here with mechanical drawing tool, for example):

photo1_zpse6cdcec0.jpg

. . . and a/b compare without having to restring. You'd probably tap into more nectar, but . . .

It just sounds so nice- give all a little time to settle in. That was the best I've heard a Hummingbird sound in quite a while. Nice timing, too. Thanks for putting that up.

Thanks 62burst, it's an android phone. I need to get a decent mic for my ipad. My funds are depleted right now with the guitar and it's repair costs. Though I dont regret the money I've spent, it's a magical guitar.

Taking into account the new strings and the way it was recorded, Jalex, I'd have to say your guitar is stunning. Really mean it.

Please don't make yourself a stranger around here: As 62burst pointed out you've got a great Sunday song going in your fingerpicked selection. Love to have you post regularly on Sundays.

(Kinda makes me want to get down and learn how to fingerpick.)

You've spent your money wisely.

Beautiful sound and instrument, and nice playing as well!

There's your Sun/Monday song, right there. It begins at t= 1:45 when you put that pick down and find the tone with some fingerstyle.

Yup ! Enjoyed this tune. Mind to tell us what it is? :-k

How did you get that to work?? I can never seem to get it. Let me try. Nope, can't get it for anything.

http://youtu.be/r0_OirsnqIk

Here is another 1963 Hummingbird for comparison sake.

JD---You paste the address from your browser (not the YouTube "Share" address) and then put it in the media field, then delete the "s" after the http:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_OirsnqIk&feature=youtu.be

Quick demo of my bird, sorry for the quality and my playing I took it on my cellphone. Just hope it gives an idea of how she sounds. Sorry I don't know how to put the actual video in my post. [confused]

Wow. Just wow Jalex... Great demo, and I agree that the fingerpicking brings out the magic as well.

Archived