Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Vintage vs XXX

SkyRider

Hi,

I'm looking at a J-45 Vintage with baked top, J-45TV, Sheryl Crow Jumbo, and Southern Jumbo.

I can't not test them all so I need opinion from those who played at least couple of these.

I'm mainly a strummer sing along player. Play mostly church worship music. Like using capo and don't like instrument to compete with my voice.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm looking at a J-45 Vintage with baked top, J-45TV, Sheryl Crow Jumbo, and Southern Jumbo.

I can't not test them all so I need opinion from those who played at least couple of these.

I'm mainly a strummer sing along player. Play mostly church worship music. Like using capo and don't like instrument to compete with my voice.

Thanks!

I'm thinking that's your post that I just responded to on AGF. I said: "Yes, I have [a J-45 Vintage]. I A/B'd a bunch, and chose the J-45 Vintage over the standard and TV models, a 12 fret SJ, and a Hummingbird Vintage. I don't have the vocabulary to articulate what I liked better (and, several months later now, don't even remember)."

I'm also mostly a "strumming and singing" guy. The Vintage works really well for that, for me. Although I really like 12 fretters, the J-45 Vintage sounded so much better to me that I decided I'd just put up with those "extra" frets.

I know it's just another opinion but I really advise playing them before you buy (Gibson Acoustic) they vary so much. I have a 1946 J-45, J-45 Vintage and a standard.

Sounds crazy but my standard is amazing and my favorite for playing gigs and strumming. Again played about 50 standards over the years and when I heard this one I coundnt believe it was a standard. I played so many standards that just suck and had me only wanting the true vintage or know called Vintage. I'm comfortable buying a Martin sight/sound unseen but not a Gibson. My standard is louder than both the 46 and Vintage but just has something very special, amazing sustain, reverb and a deep hollow vintage sound. I sometimes swear they put a standard neck and headstock on a True Vintage. That's why I would focus more on trying them all and finding what speaks best to you.

All the best.

I'm mainly a strummer sing along player.

Thanks!

Of the guitars you've listed, I'd go with one of the J45s (any variant). Just my personal choice. The others are great guitars too, but a J45 is just sweet. And no matter what advice you get on here, I think you'd be happy with any of them. If it comes down to money, go with the one most affordable. They're all super guitars. All have that Gibson mojo.

From what you've said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

For me personally, I prefer the "modern" bracing (i.e. the modern J-45). The vintage bracing, i.e. the modern J-35, has a little too much zing for me. I don't know how/if this carries over onto the J-45 Vintage, though, and I have not played one. The modern J-45 is oh so warm and will not compete with your vocal frequency. That said, I adore my Hummingbird Vintage, which also does not compete with my vocal frequency; if the J-45 Vintage is anything like it, I would push you that direction.

I have a J-45 TV

I had a Southern Jumbo customized with the Sheryl Crowe specs except for a wider neck (Luthier's Choice 1.75)

I have a J-45 Legend

I played one of the very first J-45 Vintage guitars with the thermal top and loved it. Being one of the first, it was not for sale as it was about to go on a tour of new models with the Gibon Acoustic factory folks.

If it had been for sale, I would have purchased it, even at list price. Sold my Southern Jumbo to help finance the Legend. My J-45 TV has become my trusty travel companion and it's not leaving.

If the J45 Vntge ad the wider Luthier's Choice neck, it would be in my stable right now. Out of your list, yeah, the Vintage would not disappoint.

I know it's just another opinion but I really advise playing them before you buy (Gibson Acoustic) they vary so much. I have a 1946 J-45, J-45 Vintage and a standard.

Sounds crazy but my standard is amazing and my favorite for playing gigs and strumming. Again played about 50 standards over the years and when I heard this one I coundnt believe it was a standard. I played so many standards that just suck and had me only wanting the true vintage or know called Vintage. I'm comfortable buying a Martin sight/sound unseen but not a Gibson. My standard is louder than both the 46 and Vintage but just has something very special, amazing sustain, reverb and a deep hollow vintage sound. I sometimes swear they put a standard neck and headstock on a True Vintage. That's why I would focus more on trying them all and finding what speaks best to you.

All the best.

100% agree with this statement!

2 years ago I was in the market for a j45.

I thought the TV version would be the best j45 I could get because I really dig this vintage stuff.... ;)

When I was in a store and playing various j45s things turned out different.

The j45 Standard was nothing special, the TV had a great tone that I really liked, but than the sales guy handed me a j45 VOS (limited run from 2014) and this guitar blew the TV away. Of course I had to buy this guitar....

Just this monday I was checking out a j45 vintage (baked top), because of curiousity and I'm not tempted at all....

Cheers

Ilja

Do you spend most of your playing/performance time plugged in or do you mic the guitar?

If you are using a microphone, I can see the desire for a guitar with the specs you mentioned. If you're plugging in, not a lot of that stuff matters. You might as well go with something affordably priced.

One must keep in mind that very few audiences care what kind of guitar you play. To them, the only distinction in sound is whether they can hear you or not. We guitarists can get hung up on every little subtlety and nuance of a guitar's sound (and there's nothing wrong with that) but once you plug in, most audiences can't tell the difference between a high-end Gibson and something like an Epiphone IB'64 Texan. Nor does the audience care. And the Texan costs a fraction of the Gibson. You can put the money you save in the church's collection plate.

I only have experiences with the J-45 TV and the Sheryl Jumbo. I have the latter, and when I compared it to the TV, it just seemed to do everything a little better. Bas was deeper, midrange punchier, treble clearer, sustain longer etc. This was, however, only a sample size of two, hence it might mean nothing it all...

I have had my Sheryl SJ for four years now and it is the best new guitar I have ever played. My experience is not that great though, because some high end guitars are not so common here in Sweden. In the end, with this level of guitars, I think you are really just looking at different nuances of great.

My advice would of course be to try and play them side by side if possible. If you do have to buy long distance, I would let a combination of price and cosmetic preference guide me. Personally, I think the Sheryl SJ is the most cosmetically perfect guitar Gibson makes today. I simply love this style of SJ.

Good luck deciding!

Lars

As was said, let your ears decide.

I love my SCSJ and I love all my J45's. I currently play the SJ the most it has the Amulet pu and is great especially using both channels , put one of those in what ever you decide and it will be the best IT can be when plugged in,....jmho [thumbup]

The ears have it.

I've played all of those. I liked all of those. The J-45 Vintage is my favorite. It did EVERYTHING great. It has an especially warm, velvety sound to it. It also was quirk-free, not sure how to explain that, but it just didn't have a single sound to it that I had to wonder if I like that sound or not. I like the TV both sitka and adirondack... to me it is loud with a delicate touch, but muddies up if you strum it too hard... I wondered if the tops might be thinner or if its the bracing. If you have a really aggressive attack may not be the guitar for you. I like the Sheryl Crow and thought it sounded better than many other Southern Jumbos. It sounded like a very good J-45/SJ should nothing unusual or unique about it, just a very good handpicked J-45/SJ. I love the Southern Jumbo and it is still one of my dream guitars when I find one with the right neck and sounds like it should. They tend to have thin necks and I hate thin necks. I will be buying a J-45 Vintage as soon as the funds become available. I would be thrilled with any on your list. Remember this is just one man's opinion and guitars are like women they are all different and the only thing they have in common is they are expensive, so life is too short to have one you don't really love ;-)

I've played all of those. I liked all of those. The J-45 Vintage is my favorite. It did EVERYTHING great. It has an especially warm, velvety sound to it. It also was quirk-free, not sure how to explain that, but it just didn't have a single sound to it that I had to wonder if I like that sound or not. I like the TV both sitka and adirondack... to me it is loud with a delicate touch, but muddies up if you strum it too hard... I wondered if the tops might be thinner or if its the bracing. If you have a really aggressive attack may not be the guitar for you. I like the Sheryl Crow and thought it sounded better than many other Southern Jumbos. It sounded like a very good J-45/SJ should nothing unusual or unique about it, just a very good handpicked J-45/SJ. I love the Southern Jumbo and it is still one of my dream guitars when I find one with the right neck and sounds like it should. They tend to have thin necks and I hate thin necks. I will be buying a J-45 Vintage as soon as the funds become available. I would be thrilled with any on your list. Remember this is just one man's opinion and guitars are like women they are all different and the only thing they have in common is they are expensive, so life is too short to have one you don't really love ;-)

Well said!

Archived