Gibson Brands Forums

Someone Please Sell Me Your Gibson!!

jheath

Hey All,

I've been playing a long, long time, and as finances have permitted, owned some nice acoustic and electric guitars. I've been wanting a Gibson acoustic for a long time, and have decided to do it. Unfortunately, here are my struggles....

I live in Canada which presents a couple of problems. There are not a lot of used Gibson acoustics locally or within a moderate distance and there are some dealers that carry some Gibson guitars (new and used), but they're rather few and far between. Also, we as Canadians have always paid a great deal more than our nearest neighbours for just about everything, guitars included.

The other matter is that I don't have a very large budget. I'd probably top out about $1000 USD.

In the last few months I've played WM45, J45, J50, SJ200, Dove, Hbird, just about everything I could get my hands on. I don't have a "nice" acoustic right now, so I would consider any Gibson within the budget as long as it was a nice player and structurally had no issues.

I would prefer to purchase from a member here, an enthusiast as opposed to trying my luck with fleabay or a mail order business.

So please let me know what you've got! I'm all ears!

Thanks, John

On the upside, currency exchange rates are on your side right now...

You could buy online from a dealer that offers an attractive financing option. i.e. an irresistible No Payments, No Interest for 12 Months type deal, such as the one that sucked me in a short while back.

• 5 years later...

Long and McQuade stores are almost as prolific as Starbucks here in Canada. Check out the prewar j200 the price (I think is in error) is way lower than anywhere else. Compare to musicians Friend etc. I pointed the fact out but they happily sold it to me for what they advertised. Great guitar except it needed frets crowned, levelled and dressed right out of the box.

I agree, WM45 at that budget. Let one slip through my fingers before I fell in love with my J45.

In terms of financing, Sweetwater is doing 24 months interest free. An 18 month deal from them sucked me in last year for an ES335. Tough buying an acoustic that you haven't played, but they usually have a pretty good selection, and great customer service.

Good luck!

Seems to me your issue is not finding Gibsons as you have gotten your hands on quite a few over the past couple of months. Your issue is not being able to afford them. Welcome to the club.

Only advice I can give you is how I go about getting guitars I cannot afford. I buy them in far less than tip top shape. If they are not in playable condition, I put them aside for a bit until I have scrounged up enough loot to have them put in good playing condition. I keep the costs down by not sweating the cosmetics. And alot of time the fixes are not that expensive. You just have to know how to judge what needs to get done and how much it will cost you.

Last time I looked your Folkway Music had a CF-100 for around $1800. The guitar has a long list of problems but at least according to their description it is playable as is. Not what I would call cheap but fixed up this guitar is worth a whole lot more than the asking price. This might be a golden opportunity for somebody who has been lusting for one of these but ain't got the money to buy one.

WTF???? This thread started six years ago?? What is it being re-opened for???

Oops - bad habit I have of not looking at the posting date.

But while we are at it does anybody have a Jackson Browne Sig guitar they will let me have for $1K?

Long and McQuade stores are almost as prolific as Starbucks here in Canada. Check out the prewar j200 the price (I think is in error) is way lower than anywhere else. Compare to musicians Friend etc. I pointed the fact out but they happily sold it to me for what they advertised. Great guitar except it needed frets crowned, levelled and dressed right out of the box.

MT. I'm guessing the OP has already purchased what he could back then and is now thinking of upgrading it. Btw, my favorite movie used to be "Back to the Future"!

Hilarious, this was my old thread from 5 plus years ago bumped up! Anyways, never did find anything back then, took me until very recently to get that first Gibson acoustic. Have had my J35 for about a month and absolutely love it. Total blast from the past this thread, wow.

Archived