Gibson Brands Forums

Reworked song

Lars68

You're not buc or flatbaroque though it seems

huh??????????? i'm sure the old duffer doesn't mean me..his cognitive skills aren't so flash.I was trying to think who the "aussie" was..maybe he meant Krassi not aussie.He's bagged me in the past.Anyway...keep me out of it.I'm a worse guitar player than most here..and no better singer than most.

Maybe Anthony Buckeridge knows who the aussie is...

"I Remember When I Was At A Party In St Tropez

With Mick And Quincy And This Aussie

How We Laughed When Someone

Opined That Angie Was In Bb"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presuming tone-deafness seems a bit disingenuous - that's why I asked EA and Lars recently whether they hear that the vocals are well off the note when playing the song. If no, then that's probably 'tone deafness' and is a tough break cos I've no idea how you'd work on it, but if it's 'yes' (as Lars said) then that can be worked on and improved with practice - so don't be dispirited guys [smile] and of course anyone can post anything they like within the 'rules'.

Then again, frank feedback (assuming honest) and advice can be a gift if taken in the spirit of 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear' - sometimes in unusual guise.

Presuming tone-deafness seems a bit disingenuous - that's why I asked EA and Lars recently whether they hear that the vocals are well off the note when playing the song. If no, then that's probably 'tone deafness' and is a tough break cos I've no idea how you'd work on it, but if it's 'yes' (as Lars said) then that can be worked on and improved with practice - so don't be dispirited guys [smile] and of course anyone can post anything they like within the 'rules'.

Then again, frank feedback (assuming honest) and advice can be a gift if taken in the spirit of 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear' - sometimes in unusual guise.

Very well put above. We also have to realize that we all have different musical inate abilities and backgrounds. I started singing at age 47 and know very well that this will never come natural to me, no matter how much I practice. Hence, I judge my own efforts in comparison to where I started and hope to one day be, not against anyone else's already fully developed abilities. I have been given friendly, honest, and polite critical feedback about my shortcomings several times over the past year. I got the message every single time, and I sincerely appreciated it.

Lars

You're not buc or flatbaroque though it seems

huh??????????? i'm sure the old duffer doesn't mean me..his cognitive skills aren't so flash.I was trying to think who the "aussie" was..maybe he meant Krassi not aussie.He's bagged me in the past.Anyway...keep me out of it.I'm a worse guitar player than most here..and no better singer than most.

Maybe Anthony Buckeridge knows who the aussie is...

"I Remember When I Was At A Party In St Tropez

With Mick And Quincy And This Aussie

How We Laughed When Someone

Opined That Angie Was In Bb"

'One is an Aussie'

Process of elimination says its you 😄

Bit further north mate - up round Byron Bay/Nimbin part of the state. I've lived in Sydney a few times - actually here on work at the moment - might try and pop into Allens tomorrow and have a look at the Gibsons and Epi's if I get the chance. I couldn't pick your accent on the L.Cohen song, but it seems our accents disappear in song (probably a good thing really) - mine just turns American mainly [laugh]

Bit further north mate - up round Byron Bay/Nimbin part of the state. I've lived in Sydney a few times - actually here on work at the moment - might try and pop into Allens tomorrow and have a look at the Gibsons and Epi's if I get the chance. I couldn't pick your accent on the L.Cohen song, but it seems our accents disappear in song (probably a good thing really) - mine just turns American mainly [laugh]

Nice part of the world. Love the Blues n' Roots festival up there in Byron. Bet you play a bit of Jack Johnson and Ben Harper ? Im from Adelaide but living in Prague for 12 years. Good to have another Aussie on the board.

Cheers mate. The Byron Blues is huge now - pretty much everyone's played it in recent years Dylan, BB etc. I remember when it was pretty much a bunch of stoners in a paddock [laugh] . Seems just about everyone plays around here - the open mics have just so many cool singers and players and there are buskers everywhere. Plenty of laid back hippy days music for sure, but a good alt rock/punk scene as well depending on what you feel like on any given day or night.

Cheers mate. The Byron Blues is huge now - pretty much everyone's played it in recent years Dylan, BB etc. I remember when it was pretty much a bunch of stoners in a paddock [laugh] . Seems just about everyone plays around here - the open mics have just so many cool singers and players and there are buskers everywhere. Plenty of laid back hippy days music for sure, but a good alt rock/punk scene as well depending on what you feel like on any given day or night.

I can imagine it would have exloded by now. I remember going to the blues n roots festival back in 98/99 when i was living in Sydney. Was just right then, sizeable but not overwhelming. Had great artists at that time like Ben Harper, Spearhead and the like. It was the perfect sized festival then, i imagine its a bit of riot now and probably not as much fun ... or maybe not ?

There are two people that post here that are musicians. One is an Aussie and the other is a great Uke player. The rest? Pitiful tone deaf beginners that will stop at nothing to embarrass themselves.

That is pretty sad.

I would think to the point of banning.

There are MANY very talented players, writers, and singers on this forum. Many of the members are working on recording projects, some are gigging, some are semi-retired from gigging, but still in the writing phase. We hang out here with people who love acoustic music and Gibson guitars.

He11uva broad brush you got there Hogeye.

I would think to the point of banning.

Honestly i would not miss Hogey fogey for one minute. I DO miss Parlourman, JerryK and GuitarLight because while they were all a bit looney they were each entertaining in their own ways and real characters. I find zero personality in Hogey and zero contribution in either content or entertainment. But Im not the mod, although I know i would not miss that old dead wood for a moment.

Ah come on fellas.

Everyone asks for tomatoes to be thrown

Can't shout when someone hurls one

Banning is daft

I'm not advocating the approach and yeah , it's a little rude .

But , freedom of speech and all that

Anyone who decides to hang their guitar up down to an opinion is the one who's wrong .

We're not all going to lift a guitar and start blowing people away immediately with a god given talent

Be thankful he wasn't at a gig and started 😄

It's only an Internet forum

A critique is one thing.

Personal insults to dozens of members is another.

Having gigged for 40 plus years and having made hundreds of thousands of dollars in the music business, his personal insults mean zip to me, but I'm thinking of Annie, Sal, Larry, Dave, he11 many, many members here who are just doing what they love, and sharing it for fun and opinions.

Just came off to me as pretty danmed full of himself and his ability to judge talent.

A critique is one thing.

Personal insults to dozens of members is another.

Having gigged for 40 plus years and having made hundreds of thousands of dollars in the music business, his personal insults mean zip to me, but I'm thinking of Annie, Sal, Larry, Dave, he11 many, many members here who are just doing what they love, and sharing it for fun and opinions.

Just came off to me as pretty danmed full of himself and his ability to judge talent.

I agree. Completely disrespectful, completely.

Hang em high i say, or even better, what about a public stoning ? Havent been to a good stoning for ages !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDe9msExUK8

Not everyone on this form is a professional singer or player. I'm 53 and have been trying to learn to play the guitar for around 5 years, and singing well I try. Everyone has pitch issues they deal with. Many big named artist traveling has pitch correction software they sing behind. The people you have named in this rant know they have some issues with pitch, what's the big deal? They are having fun and its a relaxing enjoyable hobby. I would never personally attack someone like this. Its amateurish! Maybe the Mods need to just create and new link just for folks that can sing and play to suit you, or better yet don't click on any of the links that pertain to a song so you wont have to be bothered.

Not everyone on this form is a professional singer or player. I'm 53 and have been trying to learn to play the guitar for around 5 years, and singing well I try. Everyone has pitch issues they deal with. Many big named artist traveling has pitch correction software they sing behind. The people you have named in this rant know they have some issues with pitch, what's the big deal? They are having fun and its a relaxing enjoyable hobby. I would never personally attack someone like this. Its amateurish! Maybe the Mods need to just create and new link just for folks that can sing and play to suit you, or better yet don't click on any of the links that pertain to a song so you wont have to be bothered.

Six years ago, the mods actually did create a place (a "pin") here in this Forum for "Your Performances". Last performance posted there was a month ago. We've probably had a dozen posted here since then, so yes, most feel - if you don't want to listen to it - don't click on it.

I agree with BBG - banning is daft. Just because someone is rude, doesn't justify banishing him. Everyone is rude somewhere sooner or later. We might all wind up banned if we allow ourselves to become too sensitive.

Well, I had a lesson, and practiced, recorded, and listened back. Then I had another lesson, and practiced, recorded, and listened back. Then I did it all over again. All while working overtime and having an all around crappy week at work.

This is the end product.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/stugan-pa-kullen-3

I'll keep working at it 'till the cows go home. They are not there yet, but I think at least a few of them are heading for the barn. My shakey ears tell me this is much better....maybe almost right...

Lars

Well, I had a lesson, and practiced, recorded, and listened back. Then I had another lesson, and practiced, recorded, and listened back. Then I did it all over again. All while working overtime and having an all around crappy week at work.

This is the end product.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/stugan-pa-kullen-3

I'll keep working at it 'till the cows go home. They are not there yet, but I think at least a few of them are heading for the barn. My shakey ears tell me this is much better....maybe almost right...

Lars

The improvement is huge. And i dont care wether my comment pleases some people or not here, like i dont care to tell when there's mistakes.

And yes, there is still some vocals hesitations at times, but since you're most of the time in tune, these just make it more real and are not a problem.

To me it is great, and i hope you keep this kind of work going because you're on the right path.

The improvement is huge. And i dont care wether my comment pleases some people or not here, like i dont care to tell when there's mistakes.

And yes, there is still some vocals hesitations at times, but since you're most of the time in tune, these just make it more real and are not a problem.

To me it is great, and i hope you keep this kind of work going because you're on the right path.

I appreciate the honest feedback. I don't aim for perfect. If I can eventually get to "good enough", I'll be extremely pleased. [biggrin]

I will definetely keep the effort going!

Thanks,

Lars

well done Lars. Now that you are hearing the tunes much better I guess you have the option to not post songs until you are satisfied they are to at least this level, then feedback can focus on fine detail advice...but up to you of course.

A nice song [thumbup]

You seem to feel more comfortable also on the higher notes (probably also cause you expulse more air/sing louder when doing so).

Maybe try different things, just to check what your comfort zone is, like use a capo a few frets higher, or singing further from the mic but louder/blow more air, and try to keep your belly/adbomen contracted it is an excercise that helps when singing.

Archived