Gibson Brands Forums

Let's see your amps!

Dub-T-123

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'69 1959 Super Lead 100 (Not really mine [biggrin])-

26173306_1506425509476115_221336788889279021_o.jpg?oh=08263b7fb43c4692452966263f3d35d5&oe=5AF89026

Holy shite [scared]

How I would love to crank that and pretend to be Eric Clapton...

Here's one of mine. A hand built 5f1 in an old radio case from 1948.....

And my other one: A scratch built 5e3

Cool stuff Dave! I built myself a 5e3 clone as well and I LOVE that amp. What speakers are you using in the Champ and 5e3?

Surfpup always love seeing your stash too!! [love]

Holy shite [scared]

How I would love to crank that and pretend to be Eric Clapton...

Cool stuff Dave! I built myself a 5e3 clone as well and I LOVE that amp. What speakers are you using in the Champ and 5e3?

Surfpup always love seeing your stash too!! [love]

The Champ has an 8" Jenson ceramic and the Deluxe has a WGS G12C/S American classic, also ceramic. I didn't have the cash to drop Alnicos in at the time. I tightened the bass up on the Deluxe using higher value filter caps ans she sounds sweet....

My next build is a Blackface Deluxe Super Reverb or Vibroverb.

The Champ has an 8" Jenson ceramic and the Deluxe has a WGS G12C/S American classic, also ceramic. I didn't have the cash to drop Alnicos in at the time. I tightened the bass up on the Deluxe using higher value filter caps ans she sounds sweet....

My next build is a Blackface Deluxe Super Reverb or Vibroverb.

That’s cool man!! I’ve heard good things about the inexpensive Weber alnico sig 8” for the 5F1. I think they made an Eric Clapton signature champ with that speaker

I really want to try the brownface Deluxe

I really want to try the brownface Deluxe

Is that the 6V6 one with Reverb?...Nice!

I just HAVE to build a 6L6 beastie.I have the AB763 circuit made and a couple of Mil spec Sylvania's 6L6's to chuck in it. I also have some really nice black walnut for the cab.

"Just" got to get the chassis (gonna buy one this time) and all the iron.....About another £450.00 or so....

One more time then as I can't edit my original post in this thread [confused].......

Fender Twin Reverb II

Twin_IIMay2017.jpg

Park MV, late 70s

Web_LPd.jpg

Fender red-knob Super 60

Super60.jpg

Vox AC10 head, more work to be done on this!

Voxtop.jpg

Fender Vibrochamp

Vibro_Champ.jpg

Need to take a good pic of the Dual Showman combo......

Happy New Year to all!

Is that the 6V6 one with Reverb?...Nice!

I just HAVE to build a 6L6 beastie.I have the AB763 circuit made and a couple of Mil spec Sylvania's 6L6's to chuck in it. I also have some really nice black walnut for the cab.

"Just" got to get the chassis (gonna buy one this time) and all the iron.....About another £450.00 or so....

The brownface Deluxe uses a pair of 6V6, but is more powerful than the 5e3 due to the fixed bias and GZ34. It doesn’t have reverb, but it has bias modulating tremolo. I built a Weber Revibe which has great sounding reverb

Are you ordering those parts from the states?

Are you ordering those parts from the states?

I had a peek at the schematic for the Brownface, that is going to be sweet and no mistake. All tube tremolo? Lush! I had a '63 Reverberocket with all original tubes and a UK tranny. That reverb and trem were just lovely. It came to me needing a bit of work (usual cap drift), but was sounding good when I moved it on....I can source some parts from Germany for the Blackface. Shipping to the UK is horrendously expensive from the US....

Beautiful. Couldn't be neater.

Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Thanks! It definitely sounds better than it looks, depending on the player haha

Dang that's nice work!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

What speaker is that and how do you like it?

Thanks BBP! It’s a Weber 12F150. 25W, ceramic magnet, ribbed cone, light dope

It was a bit edgy when it was new, but now that it has broken in it is very sweet. It’s not a super loud speaker, but I couldn’t be happier with the tone for this amp

Thanks Dave! Must have played with the amp for about 3 hours after work last night. Never gets old, love it!

For fear of being embarrassed by your cracking work, I won't show pics of mine close-up.....She does sound sweet though.

Mine is stained natural Canadian pine with a brown tweed grille, looks ok from a distance.....(four or five miles....)

Lol I thought your build looked cool in the pic you posted. I especially like that you made the chassis yourself. Did you use chassis punches to make the holes for the transformers and tube sockets?

Ha! No.....Drilled with a hole saw undersized and filed out to a snug fit. The tranny cut out was four holes, a jigsaw and lots more filing....The chassis was a lot thicker than I thought, maybe 2mm, so it took a while.

I drilled and punched all the turrets on the board as well, all good fun!

What coupling caps have you used? I don't recognise them. I used Mallory 150's, but a lot of guys use Sprague orange drops.

I also tightened the bass up quite a bit by increasing the filter cap values, so instead of 16uF, I used 22's.

It was my first build and I really enjoyed it.

Ha! No.....Drilled with a hole saw undersized and filed out to a snug fit. The tranny cut out was four holes, a jigsaw and lots more filing....The chassis was a lot thicker than I thought, maybe 2mm, so it took a while.

I drilled and punched all the turrets on the board as well, all good fun!

What coupling caps have you used? I don't recognise them. I used Mallory 150's, but a lot of guys use Sprague orange drops.

I also tightened the bass up quite a bit by increasing the filter cap values, so instead of 16uF, I used 22's.

It was my first build and I really enjoyed it.

Yeah that sounds like a pain in the ***

The coupling caps are NOS Russian paper in oil. I think the model number is KGB-M1 in English. I just used these caps because I think they’re cool. I realize the 5e3 didn’t use PIO caps, and you shouldn’t use NOS caps in an amp etc, but these caps are as good as new

Archived