Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J -45 Custom Homecoming

Victory Pete

The J-45 Custom I bought in July and returned in exchange for the Western Classic, is on a plane heading back home. I had a bad case of separation anxiety and decided to buy it back. I cant wait to compare it to the new Southern Jumbo as the J-45 Custom is rosewood and the Southern Jumbo is mahogany.

WP_20160723_010_1.jpg

Gibson%20J-45%20Custom.jpg

WP_20160723_002.jpg

thats a nice looking git, earlier this year I re-bought my "plain ol" j 45 after an exchange as well, - "sometimes you dont know what you got till its gone" - to quote a famous canadian lady ,,, love that rosewood enjoy j

Nice "get back" . Your not the first former Custom owner who wanted theirs back after a sale.....bought my Custom from a pvt party and after I got it he reached out to ask "if" I ever sold it to give him first refusal. I took out the factory USP and installed a Amulett MVT great guitar and it sounds fantastic goes perfectly with my SCSJ....enjoy it ,haven't played my RW Martin J40 much since I got my J45 custom....

Looks great. What is the inlay design?........... And don't lose it again....lol........Congrats on getting it back.

Thanks for the replies guys it will be here around noon. Funny thing happened this morning. I went out to my garage and looked up in the northern sky, I do this often being an aviation buff, I see a white jet with a brown tail go by. I think, hmm, is my J-45 on that thing? Yup, Google search reveals that is exactly what UPS planes look like and my tracking info reveals that the plane left Windsor locks CT 20 minutes before, landed in Warwick RI 10 minutes later. I have seen this same tracking info before, This is the 4th guitar I bought from Musician's Friend and have shipped next day air. I just never spotted the plane.

WP_20160723_015.jpg

WP_20160723_014.jpg

Nice "get back" . Your not the first former Custom owner who wanted theirs back after a sale.....bought my Custom from a pvt party and after I got it he reached out to ask "if" I ever sold it to give him first refusal. I took out the factory USP and installed a Amulett MVT great guitar and it sounds fantastic goes perfectly with my SCSJ....enjoy it ,haven't played my RW Martin J40 much since I got my J45 custom....

I am taking the pickup out tomorrow, I am putting in an unbleached saddle and bone pins. I am shopping around for the ultimate pickup or mike for my acoustics, I am not a fan of under saddle piezos. What is SCSJ?

MOPick, The inlays are abalone. The headstock was designed by Ren. I think they call the Fretboard inlays 'Lucky Charms' for some reason, I've heard similar ones called snowflakes. I loved the abalone rosette so much - I got bone pins from Colosi which had matching abalone inlays. The plastic pins flat out didn't cut it on this guitar. A little bit of bling, but not too much.

VPete - you will find this baby Significantly Improves tone-wise over the next 2 years. You made the right call in getting her back.

Funny - yours has a white label and mine is orange. Maybe 'cause mine is Koa? I don't know-a.

I am taking the pickup out tomorrow, I am putting in an unbleached saddle and bone pins. I am shopping around for the ultimate pickup or mike for my acoustics, I am not a fan of under saddle piezos. What is SCSJ?

I'd give the electronics a chance - I wasn't a fan of USPs either - but this one works extremely well. Better than the Fishman I added to my SJ200.

MOPick, The inlays are abalone. The headstock was designed by Ren. I think they call the Fretboard inlays 'Lucky Charms' for some reason, I've heard similar ones called snowflakes. I loved the abalone rosette so much - I got bone pins from Colosi which had matching abalone inlays. The plastic pins flat out didn't cut it on this guitar. A little bit of bling, but not too much.

VPete - you will find this baby Significantly Improves tone-wise over the next 2 years. You made the right call in getting her back.

Funny - yours has a white label and mine is orange. Maybe 'cause mine is Koa? I don't know-a.

Magically delicious for sure. I have snow flakes on my new D-42's fretboard and bridge, so this one with its Lucky Charms on the fretboard and bridge will compliment it nicely. The pins that came with all my Gibsons are Tusq, way better than plastic but very small, white and plain. I am sure sonically they are good, they make a nice clink when you drop them on marble, but I prefer Waverly bone pins with the abalone dots. Custom shop is orange label, my Western Classic and Southern Jumbo have them, they look great. The white one looks kind of cheap.

I'd give the electronics a chance - I wasn't a fan of USPs either - but this one works extremely well. Better than the Fishman I added to my SJ200.

The reason I returned this initially was the 2 E strings were weak. I took out the saddle and looked in there and was surprised to see 3 holes, I was a bit shocked that someone went a little too far drilling holes so decided to return it and upgrade to the Western Classic. Well, the Southern Jumbo that just came 2 weeks ago also has 2 weak E strings. I assume this is normal and have decided to get them both out anyway. The outer strings do not have elements on either side of them producing a weaker signal than the inside strings that have elements on either side of them. As for the 2 extra holes in the saddle slot, they are at the ends of the slot and are there for proper alignment of the bridge, who knew? I never saw that before but all 3 of my new Gibsons have them.

Just as I left her, but with some very dead strings. She now has some company too. The reflection from my window kind of messes up the photo op, but you get the picture, pun intended! BTW, I use the reflections from those windows to carefully look at a guitar's top for any unusual contours, depressions or finish problems. From a distance you can get a good idea about what the top is doing. There are quite a few normal contours that are very visible this way,

WP_20161118_002.jpg

SCSJ ...it's a Sheryl Crow SJ mine is a model A came with a Trance audio Amulett stereo pick up its a sound board transducer. The Trance Audio pick ups are my favorite pickups I installed there mono version in the Custom sounds fantastic. The last 3 Gibsons I've got all have Trance Audio Amuletts in them. I have a Amulett MVT that I haven't installed yet but it will go into either my Fullers J45 or my SJ200 decisions decisions...lol....I love the bling and the RW J45 has a very nice sound indeed....IMHO

In the last month or so I had been reading about run out in guitar tops, I was pleased to find none in my 6 acoustics, until yesterday. #7, the J-45 Custom has a little bit in it. I had not noticed before because as they say, ignorance is bliss. Run out is when the 2 pieces of a book matched top has different shading depending on the angle it is viewed.

http://www.lutherie.net/frankford.runout.html

Yep. Run out. Not hard to spot. Can you live with it in your new guitar?

Yep, didn't even notice it when I had it before. Apparently it is purely cosmetic, which I can appreciate, but it almost seems natural to see a different shade, after all I guess we have been seeing this for years in many guitars all over the world.

Today I installed the new unbleached bone saddle and bone pins. I took out the under saddle pick up also. I made the action for low E at 12th fret .100 and .070 for high E. What a difference that makes, it is loud and clear now. Comparing this to the Southern Jumbo will be a labor of love. Already I can hear more bass and a fuller sound with the J-45 Custom, whereas the Southern Jumbo is very clear and bright.

Archived