Gibson Brands Forums

To "Poker Chip, or NOT?

charlie brown

A lot of 2017 LP models seem to come without the "poker chip" (Treble Rhythm) washer, around the selector switch.

And, so I wonder how everyone feels, about that?

Personally, I'm OK with it, either way. But, I've always felt like with the P-90 "Goldtop" versions, R-2,3,4 & 6, it looked

"normal," or even better without it. While on the later and newer "Humbucker versions," it looks more "Normal"

WITH it. LOL Who knows, "Why?" Just a personal feeling, preference, maybe?

What do you all think? Or, do you care, either way? Just curious... [biggrin]

CB

I prefer having a chip and pickguard. The original GT LP look OK without a poker chip but it doesn't look right to me when other models don't have them. I can't stand LP without pickguards though. I know some guys are into gaudy tops but I prefer stuff that is less attention seeking. No quilted tops or Blueberry or lime green LP for me thanks.

Having had several fairly older LPs they all had the chip so that's what I think they should look like. I got a 2017 Standard T and it has no poker chip. I am trying to adjust, but may end up adding one. Everyone thinks of them as just decorative, but I change pickup positions a lot during a song, and sometimes when there isn't much time between measures or notes you have to take a fairly violent swipe at the toggle switch to move it and get back to picking in time. This can result in some scratches around the toggle, and with the poker chip it can protect your finish some.

So overall I say I vote FOR the chip. B)

I've just remembered a practical reason to keep the poker chip on.

Shortly after buying my LP I used it for a gig at the Yacht (pub) in Southampton. A couple of times I accidentally knocked the switch into the middle position. This became a nuisance, so I used a piece of bluetack to force it into the upward position while I played.

I wouldn't have risked using it on the nitro finish. The poker chip became quite handy that evening.

My question is: "Would it subtract from the value of my 2017 Standard T if I put one on it?"

And the next question is: "How do you put them on? Are there instructions somewhere?"

It's not going to subtract any value, as it could always be easily removed if a buyer didn't like it.

There are no instructions, you unscrew the chrome washer, remove it, put the poker chip on, screw the chrome washer back on over it.

It's not going to subtract any value, as it could always be easily removed if a buyer didn't like it.

There are no instructions, you unscrew the chrome washer, remove it, put the poker chip on, screw the chrome washer back on over it.

Ordered and I looked around and found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HYB9TEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would be my luck I'd try to unscrew the washer, the tool would slip and I'd have a nasty scratch on my guitar. It was a bit expensive but if it works as advertised, cool.

I've just remembered a practical reason to keep the poker chip on.

Shortly after buying my LP I used it for a gig at the Yacht (pub) in Southampton. A couple of times I accidentally knocked the switch into the middle position. This became a nuisance, so I used a piece of bluetack to force it into the upward position while I played.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Merciful-Evans, don't do that."

rct

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Merciful-Evans, don't do that."

msp_laugh.gif

Circular-Saw Operator : "OW! I've just chopped one of my fingers off!"

Colleague : "How in Heaven's name did you manage that?"

Circular-Saw Operator : "I just pushed my finger against....DAMN! There goes another one!... "

Pip.

I added the "poker chip" on mine. I think I like it. What do you think? Pickguard or no pickguard?

Which one do you like better?

Without. Why cover up a nice bit of timber with plastic.

If plastic is so nice, why not go the whole way & get a plastic guitar.

Mine are in the same drawer as the whammy bars and nasty pickups.

• 3 weeks later...

I added the "poker chip" on mine. I think I like it. What do you think? Pickguard or no pickguard?

Without

WithoutPickguard_zpsgkxousdm.jpg

With

WithPickguard_zps43zvh4sk.jpg

Which one do you like better?

If you are going with the Poker Chip, then you have to put the pickguard on to balance things out.

Not a bad thing... I like solos in "Rhythm" and play rhythm in "Treble" with tone lowered a little.... no wonder it's confusing. Fortunately being old, I can't read the "poker chip" without reading glasses. I let my ears do the seeing.

You should get an large print pokerchip. & Don't forget to turn it 180 so the words are the right way up

I thought about getting a custom poker chip made from Philadelphia Luthier that reads "up" and "Down"...

I can go either way, personally. My LP has it- my new '17 SG Standard T does not.

When I first found out that many new ,17 models don't have it, it reminded me of a supposedly true story we read in one of my Bachelor's Degree Business classes:

Southwest airlines is very employee oriented and they had a company wide contest to see who could come up with a viable idea to save the most money without causing customer service to suffer. I forget how much the impact was, but it was a phenomenal amount yearly.....

by cutting pickle slices in their salads from 5 to three...

SO- there ya go! Gibson is saving bazillions by leaving out this seemingly innocuous piece of hardware...?

JMO- as an aside: I'm GLAD they left out the robot tuners on the model I bought! I WISH they would have gone back to PTP wiring- I'm sure they save a lot using the PTP...

brian

JMO- as an aside: I'm GLAD they left out the robot tuners on the model I bought! I WISH they would have gone back to PTP wiring- I'm sure they save a lot using the PTP...

brian

Maybe not. The circuit board is probably cheap and they can pay an unskilled worker to plug in stuff to the Quick Connect. To get someone so solder the pickups, switch, pots, and capacitors would mean paying someone with some degree of skill to do it. It probably evens out with the cost of the parts vs. the wage of the employee. I like the idea of making it easier for those of us (me) who aren't great at soldering. But, if the pcb fails, it takes a bit longer to get one of those unless you just happen to have one lying around.

I can't remember if my "poker chip" was 3.99 or 4.99 but I think I like my Les Paul with it. I've decided against the pickguard. The top is too pretty to cover up and I don't think I've ever touched the top of my guitar with a pick.

Archived