Gibson Brands Forums

New Batch of L00 1937 Legends?

JuanCarlosVejar

It's odd that they're putting a paper label in these. My 2010 L-OO Legend is only ink-stamped on the neck block, with no paper label. I think the J-45 Legend was the same way, which would have been period-correct.

Great little guitars, but not cheap. About the same price as a good vintage version.

This is about as accurate a repro as Gibson does: all hide glue, cloth side stays, etc.

Why on earth would you want to pay $5,200 for a modern copy when you can have an original 30's L-00 for around the same price ??

With .. tone that comes from 80 year old wood and decades of playing.

I tend to hold to that concept as well, but since joining the forum I've come to realize how many different ways of looking at the matter are out there. If I were going to road a guitar - which, at my stage of life, is ridiculous - I imagine I'd use new. 😒

Why on earth would you want to pay $5,200 for a modern copy when you can have an original 30's L-00 for around the same price ??

With .. tone that comes from 80 year old wood and decades of playing.

I spent a frustrating year looking at vintage Gibson smallbodies from the 1930's and 40's. Most of them needed a substantial amount of work of one type or another: neck re-sets, worn fretboards, shaved bridges, badly-glued brace repairs, top back, and rim crack repairs, etc, etc, etc.

I love vintage on principle, but not at the expense of playability.

My L-OO Legend is a really nice little guitar, and I got it at a reasonable price. At the price they ask for these new ones, however, I might keep shopping for vintage if I were in the market today.

I got my 32 vintage L-00 that mapped at $5498 in a trade. I had to dreds I was not playing and a friend who was saddled with the L-00 by Gibson and it sat in his shop for a long time. I made an offer of the trade and he took it. I have nowhere near what the guitar cost in it and he got two guitars he turned in a month. I cam e out ahead. Now having said that I also have two Waterloos a 14 fret hog and a 12 fret maple. The Gibson is a shade better sounding than the hog and shiny. It did come in a nice red line case. But at that price plastic end pins and a tusq nut were a surprise.

I am allergic to mildew and mold and some old guitars and I do not get along too well. But I love these little guitars and in the 1/4 century (God willing) I have left will enjoy playing them.

There are many reasons for many things. We can wonder at each others decisions but I find it best to content with our own.

I spent a frustrating year looking at vintage Gibson smallbodies from the 1930's and 40's. Most of them needed a substantial amount of work of one type or another: neck re-sets, worn fretboards, shaved bridges, badly-glued brace repairs, top back, and rim crack repairs, etc, etc, etc.

I love vintage on principle, but not at the expense of playability.

My L-OO Legend is a really nice little guitar, and I got it at a reasonable price. At the price they ask for these new ones, however, I might keep shopping for vintage if I were in the market today.

In the early 1990's I was networking with a couple small stores in Tennessee - we'd swap guitars that they or I could sell more easily in our respective areas. The vintage L-00's and the like were really coming out of the woodwork back then from both directions. Must have seen 15 or 20, of which only a couple needed more than a good setup. That ship has sailed, apparently. Wish I'd had the foresight to keep one.

Archived