Gibson Brands Forums

Slow Blues Guitar On The 1937 Gibson L-0

BluesKing777

I was playing a slow blues on my L-0 and I was thinking how the guitar is exactly as hoped for in the sound department for this kind of music. No other guitar (of mine) gets this sound!

So I pressed record to hopefully capture it, think I did.

I don't care if I just play this tune over and over on this guitar and it is no good for anything else, just fabulous. [thumbup]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/8bare7b

Same photo from another thread - Photobucket has the stupids, keeps crashing:

2GuitarsSat04_zpsqkhq9vdh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Freekin' gorgeous. Sounds like two guitars. Can't be better.

I lay my L0 on my lap once in a while and play it open tuned with a slide, even though I have an Oahu lap with an old BLawrence soundhole PU attached. It sounds so much richer I'm thinking of tossing the Oahu in the woodstove. I like the Peaceland Guitar Ring on the pinky for everything else. L0 is a great slide instrument, though. Raw and biting.

Good job a la John Hammond!

http://www.peacelandmusic.com/mringorder.php

Thanks!

(I have one of those little ring slides somewhere - they promised I would sound like Fred! Wonder where I put it?)

While being overjoyed about the sound and playability of the L-0, I then proceeded to put myself in a bad mood by trying to upload a photo to Photobucket.

Jedzep put a pic of his chicken grilling on his bbq and later while at the shops, the Boss asked what we wanted for dinner and of course, I said chicken.... [biggrin]

So she 'butterflied' these two chicken breasts for the Weber Q (butterflying chicken is not generally a good thing for guitar players, be warned :unsure: )

And I can tell you mine was great and I can state categorically that it took less time to warm up the bbq and cook it and eat it than it took to load the photo to Photobucket! What are they doing?

(blurry iPhone pic):

Chicken01_zpsvcywuyds.jpg

BluesKing777.

Thanks!

While being overjoyed about the sound and playability of the L-0, I then proceeded to put myself in a bad mood by trying to upload a photo to Photobucket.

Jedzep put a pic of his chicken grilling on his bbq and later while at the shops, the Boss asked what we wanted for dinner and of course, I said chicken.... [biggrin]

And I can tell you mine was great and I can state categorically that it took less time to warm up the bbq and cook it and eat it than it took to load the photo to Photobucket! What are they doing?

BluesKing777.

I don't know what is going on with Photobucket, but it has practically become useless. Takes forever to load anything. Anyone else having this problem?

Very Nice... do you give lessons?

Ha Ha

I do give lessons - the first one is: "Don't do it - pick something that more than 3 people actually like!" [mellow]

And the second lesson if you persist is to make your way through as many of David Hamburgers online blues lessons as you can - the best:

https://truefire.com/educators/david-hamburger/e48

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG.

Yes, one reason I have persisted with Photobucket is that Doug Rathbun showed us a copy method that puts the photo up in forums and not the link! So I open the photo, click on the box on the right and paste that whatever gobblygook straight to the forum and it appears....painless before the current collapse. Now when I open Photobucket, so many movie ads come up that the old pc and Chrome goigle hasn't a chance. My Macbook don't think too kindly of it either....

There is always iCloud I suppose.

BluesKing777.

Count me in as one of the three! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Thanks FB!

Where were you when I needed you at the gig? Just had two old drunks who couldn't find their way home, one may have wet himself. Miss those old days dearly...not. Though I wouldn't be watching one day cricket day night game on tv on a Friday night!

I just saw an old blues trooper buying a new acoustic guitar this week - I won't say the make but I don't think it is gonna make it! Not worth stringing up, I thought. Keeping the day job until they throw me out!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the link to DH lessons. Never played finger style enough to get comfortable with it and I've always been a little pished at myself for not working it out, but I'm going to start up beginner patterns and hope a little of it rubs off. You never know when you'll encounter a fine guitar with no flat pick available.

I only wish you would make videos of some of these--like this one-- so I could get a better sense of your playing. I don't know about other folks, but when I hear something I really like, I really want to see how the guy or girl is playing it. Maybe that's the difference between being a player and just a listener.

My broadband is currently dreadful and a small guitar video took about 5 hours to download to Youtube.

Supposed to be getting high speed broadband availability soon, but there are politicians involved. :mellow:

The DH videos are great but not sure about beginning fingerpicking - he has that somewhere. Some of the beginning ones are really hard! Just be warned. Hamburger has old books as well as videos - I have an excellent slide beginner one that I go through regularly because the exercises are great. I might find his old beginner blues and fingerpicking books as I hope these have exercises as good as the slide book.

BluesKing777.

I guess I should mention that I just went through a lot of my David Hamburger material and it IS great, a bit hard sometimes, but very...definite......but there is not one riff like what I play in the instrumental in the top of this thread.....must come from somewhere else. [biggrin]

And instead of general riffs and blues, if you want to learn Skip James as close as possible, or lots of other original blues players like Gary Davis, John Hurt, Lightning Hopkins, Bo Carter, Mance Lipscomb, Frank Stokes, Robert Johnson, Sone House, Fred McDowell etc, etc, etc, etc......there is no better place to look that the Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop. There is the 800 Series type of lessons with instruction on the details of one player like those mentioned before, or general instruction in blues fingerpicking...but also some flat picking or Celtic...all kinds of acoustic guitar lessons. Best part - videos of the lesson but ALSO recordings of the original artist and videos if possible.

I have most of them in the hope that learning as much of them as I can that maybe something will stick! <_< I start every Saturday morning practice with going through Stefan's C tunes in "How To Play The Blues Guitar' series - most of these tunes feature the 'Gary Davis' C chord. Good weekly 'return to base' before trying other stuff..... Amazing how far I have wandered in the week.

BluesKing777.

Archived