Gibson Brands Forums

Big Star "Thirteen"

sbpark

Cover of Big Star's "Thirteen". Yep, some timing issues, and I'm not a singer (starting singing lessons on Monday actually), but figured this is the first step in getting some balls and putting myself out there. Next step once my voice gets better are some open mics. Used a J45, D28 and an old Takamine (Martin copy) 12 string. Here's the link:

Very nice vibe on that one. Reminded me of the Beach Boys. Your vocals could be higher in the mix. I found it difficult to hear the lyrics at times. Great job and please keep posting!

Lars

p.s. I would love to be able to sing like that AFTER vocal lessons.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Vocals are buried for a reason (so you can't hear them!). My voice does work better in a lower register, but my range is so limited (can't go too low, can't go too high) that some songs sound good capo'd/tuned lower, while some songs just don't sound right unless they are in their original key. I'm struggling with this with some Ryan Adams songs because of this. His voice is pretty high and I can make some of his songs work tuned down quite a bit, while others only sound "right" in their original key, hence the singing lessons.

One this some might be interested in knowing...the two main guitars were recorded with LR Baggs Lyrics, and no other external mics. Those "pickups" really work well for quick recording where you don't want to mess with external mics, setting up, worrying about phantom power, etc. For quick demos like this I like to simpler the better! Unfortunately I don't have either of those guitars anymore (Have an AJ and HD28) and may put a Lyric in one of both of them. Still have a Lyric in my little Martin 000-15M. I think the key to that pickup is cutting back a touch of the high end on the trim pot on the volume control then using a nice preamp to cut out a LOT of the low mids, then starts to sound good. I was using an LR Baggs Venue DI when this was recorded, but have a Radial PZ-PRE now, and may record more stuff today and see how that sounds.

I've been to a million open mics- believe me, you'll do fine. Stay fresh and be prepared, and it won't matter if you get nervous and forget something. Open mic audiences don't mind that a bit.

You sound real good--go play in front of the people. Have fun. Just do it.

I've been to a million open mics- believe me, you'll do fine. Stay fresh and be prepared, and it won't matter if you get nervous and forget something. Open mic audiences don't mind that a bit.

You sound real good--go play in front of the people. Have fun. Just do it.

Thans for the encouragement!

If you wait until "you" are satisfied with "your own voice" before attending an open mic, you'll likely never attend one. We all spend way-too-much of our time wanting to sound as good as we think the guy/gal on the radio sounds. I hear NOTHING wrong with your playing or vocals. As stated, if you're recording, bring the volume up on the vocals. Beyond that, get out there and play/sing. You will be fine. You'll fit-in well.....and you will improve more and more.............Suggestion----If you can't sing as high/low as the original key of the song, sing it your own way in a key that is comfortable. You have to be "you."

Archived