Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2010 J45TV

sbpark

Fine guitar. Enjoy. To each his own pref. Still darn happy with the Vintage I found at the start, " baked top" and all. Imagine I could be just as happy with one such as you have as well!

Wasn't bashing every single Vintage model out there. Just expressing my experience with the one example that a vendor sent me. DIdnt say they were all junk, and quite the contrary as most of them get rave reviews, but alas, there are always duds out there. And it was the only Vintage I had personally played, so I don't have any experience playing other Vintage models to compare. Maybe it was why the vendor gave me such a killer deal on it?! All I know is that Vintage with new strings sounded like it had socks stuffed in it compared to the richer and fuller, deeper sound that I heard form the J45TV I bought even when it had rusted strings on it! Plus, what I may think of as crap might be someone else's holy grail. The J45TV I picked up may even be a prime example of that. Obviously someone disliked it enough to sell or trade it in, and many others probably thought the same since the guitar hung on the wall for sale for well over three months until I came along and bought it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously someone disliked it enough to sell or trade it in,

Guitars get traded in every day for variety of reasons.

Mostly for money reasons... GAS too!

I've sold a few "keepers" to fund other things.

and many others probably thought the same since the guitar hung on the wall for sale for well over three months until I came along and bought it.

This is true.... But price comes into play as well. You got them to come down over $500 bucks. Had this been marked at the sale price it prob would have sailed off the shelf earlier.

Way to go! On finding a "gem in the rough" [thumbup]

The no warranty Martin neck sets has been gnawing at me since it was first mentioned here and hasn't gone away in the least. Right now, I'm Martin-less. Have been thinking, however, of picking up a rosewood model (love the bass on those bad lads) of some description. This tells me that it'll have to be a used one that's already had the neck reset. Or possibly Gibson rosewood. With a new Martin, I always figured the warranty accounted for a good chunk of the price - take that out of the equation (given that Martins are very likely to need resets - and it sounds like the odds are even greater currently),

the appeal of 'new' just crashed and burned. Is this a rant? Yep!

The no warranty Martin neck sets has been gnawing at me since it was first mentioned here and hasn't gone away in the least. Right now, I'm Martin-less. Have been thinking, however, of picking up a rosewood model (love the bass on those bad lads) of some description. This tells me that it'll have to be a used one that's already had the neck reset. Or possibly Gibson rosewood. With a new Martin, I always figured the warranty accounted for a good chunk of the price - take that out of the equation (given that Martins are very likely to need resets - and it sounds like the odds are even greater currently),

the appeal of 'new' just crashed and burned. Is this a rant? Yep!

Agree 100% about the appeal of buying a new Martin "crashing and burning" given their no longer covering neck resets couple with the major issue they've had the last few years with many unhappy customers brining in their guitars for this very issue and having their claims denied. This is due to some sort of internal issue with Maritn, maybe a manufacturing issue, a wood issue,e tc., but has nothing to do with the fault of the owner of the guitar, yet Martin has chosen to screw the customer and not step up and take responsibility. Let me be clear though, I would never expect a company to warranty a neck reset if it's been a while, even if it's 10 years since that's not something you can really predict, but after less than three years is ridiculous, and the exact reason why a warranty is enticing to buy new. And yep, if you buy used the warranty is null and void to the second owner anyway, but the fact that Martin has seen quite a few relatively new guitars coming back in for neck resets and them denying these claims, coupled with them silently changing their policy just made me ditch all my Martins on principle, even if one of them was a used guitar that wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway. It's just shitty practice and something I no longer want to support. They'll never get my money in any way, be it strings, a new guitar, etc. I'm done with them. Good thing for me I prefer the Gibson sound anyway.

Although it's not the exact same sound, I'd recommend looking for an Advanced Jumbo. Rosewood back and sides, longer scale length like a Martin, and a pretty huge sound.

Agree 100% about the appeal of buying a new Martin "crashing and burning" given their no longer covering neck resets. Let me be clear though, I would never expect a company to warranty a neck reset if it's been a while, even if it's 10 years since that's not something you can really predict, but after less than three years is ridiculous, and the exact reason why a warranty is enticing to buy new. And yep, if you buy used the warranty is null and void to the second owner anyway, but the fact that Martin has seen quite a few relatively new guitars coming back in for neck resets and them denying these claims, coupled with them silently changing their policy just made me ditch all my Martins on principle, even if one of them was a used guitar that wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway. It's just shitty practice and something I no longer want to support. They'll never get my money in any way, be it strings, a new guitar, etc. I'm done with them. Good thing for me I prefer the Gibson sound anyway.

Although it's not the exact same sound, I'd recommend looking for an Advanced Jumbo. Rosewood back and sides, longer scale length like a Martin, and a pretty huge sound.

I appreciate the recommendation. Then there's the Gibson J-60 that I've heard about but haven't had the chance to play....

I also find the Martin warranty change to be quite disturbing - especially to not uphold a warranty claim on a guitar purchased prior to their internal policy change. It seems corporately arrogant, and an affront to the players who have supported them.

I believe many people, including myself, have bought new Martins knowing that they are prone to needing neck resets - but the purchase was made specifically with the assurance that if the neck joint fails, the repair is covered.

The two Martins I currently own were purchased new. Unless a change occurs in their policy, there won't be a third.

Wasn't bashing every single Vintage model out there. Just expressing my experience with the one example that a vendor sent me. DIdnt say they were all junk, and quite the contrary as most of them get rave reviews, but alas, there are always duds out there. And it was the only Vintage I had personally played, so I don't have any experience playing other Vintage models to compare. Maybe it was why the vendor gave me such a killer deal on it?! All I know is that Vintage with new strings sounded like it had socks stuffed in it compared to the richer and fuller, deeper sound that I heard form the J45TV I bought even when it had rusted strings on it! Plus, what I may think of as crap might be someone else's holy grail. The J45TV I picked up may even be a prime example of that. Obviously someone disliked it enough to sell or trade it in, and many others probably thought the same since the guitar hung on the wall for sale for well over three months until I came along and bought it.

No problem. Sorry you ran into a bad one. What matters is finding a guitar that makes us happy. Glad you did so.

I don't see how a Martin would be more prone to neck reset than any other guitar ?

Wish I had the expertise to answer that one. But my observation has been that it's true - and I've been observing for most of my life. There have to be exceptions, at least I know there are with other brands and the 'built in repair' that they're known to have. For example, my late 70's Guild has been incredibly stable from day one, while others from that era are notorious for lifting tops and, subsequently, lifting bridges within a year after purchase.

I've wondered if Martins with non-traditionally set necks might avoid the need for resets a bit longer, but it appears that - if anything - they're even more prone to the issue than dovetails. Maddening, isn't it?

I don't see how a Martin would be more prone to neck reset than any other guitar ?

Who knows why, but it's happening apparently. Just go do a search un UMGF or AGF. The Martin neck reset warranty issue oles up often and causes quite the hot topic when they discuss it.

They aren't. "Neck reset" is something that on average a 20 plus year old guitar may see. "Neck reset" is often done by "luthiers", whether it needs it or not. It also is done to satisfy the 1 gabillionth of an inch at the 12th fret crowd, since they are already using a saddle that is about 1/64th above the bridge and have string slots up under the saddle to keep some down tension.

It is my understanding also that yet again the "No Neck Reset Under Warranty" story is back. As far as I know today, that just isn't true.

The usual parade of fancy guitar owners are probably recovering from a long apocalyptic winter of sub-54.763391% humidity and need a break from all the stress that causes.

I'm allowed to be grouchy.

rct

................................................................................

.................................................................................

rct

I know what you mean.

They aren't. "Neck reset" is something that on average a 20 plus year old guitar may see. "Neck reset" is often done by "luthiers", whether it needs it or not. It also is done to satisfy the 1 gabillionth of an inch at the 12th fret crowd, since they are already using a saddle that is about 1/64th above the bridge and have string slots up under the saddle to keep some down tension.

It is my understanding also that yet again the "No Neck Reset Under Warranty" story is back. As far as I know today, that just isn't true.

The usual parade of fancy guitar owners are probably recovering from a long apocalyptic winter of sub-54.763391% humidity and need a break from all the stress that causes.

rct

My condolences for falling out of the wrong side of bed this morning - ouch!

My condolences for falling out of the wrong side of bed this morning - ouch!

I wouldn't sweat it. RCT is a Martin acoustic guy all the way, and he's bashed pretty much every other acoustic guitar brand, including Gibson. Not even sure why he's on the acoustic part of the Gibson forum.Probably just to troll and get a rise out of people. It's all good.

Those that haven't had a problem with their Martins will defend the company until the end and will deny anyone else who has submitted for a claim and been shot down by the company. All I know is I heard first hand during the phone call the luthier made to Martin via speakerphone where they blatantly denied a neck reset. The condition of my guitar had nothing to do with winter conditions, low humidity, etc., and a microscopic change. It was obvious. The luthier (who as mentioned is a Martin authorized repair person) even said it should have a neck reset and met criteria for it. I guess he and the other shop that's an hour away (and also an authorized Martin repair shop) are both working together to conspire and lie to customers that come in with the same issue as I had on mine with Martins that were only a couple of years old only to be denied. It's a lose-lose since the customer is pissed at the shop they bought the guitar from, even though it's not the shop's fault, and will turn the customer off to ever buying another new Martin in many cases. Doesn't seem like Martin really cares about that though. They crank out so many mid-level composite and laminate guitars and sells cads of them because of the name on the headstock. They don't seem to care about those of us who buy the American made guitars. Like I said, even though I got my HD-28 used and it's not covered under warranty I'm ditching it because I no longer care to have anything with their name on it, and I'll never buy anything from them. It's not going to affect Martin in any way, but I'd rather give my money to a company that treats it's customers better. So far Gibson hasn't done me dirty and I like the sound of their guitars better (you just have to pick through them to get a stellar sounding one!). I'm sure all the guys who reply and defend Martin would be singing a different tune if they had bought a new Martin, had it go out of spec in a year or two and be told "too bad" by Martin. Either way, I hardly reached for the two Martins I had anyway since the Gibsons were what I reached for the most. Martins don't sound bad, just not my cup of tea as I've evolved and decided what my ear prefers.

I wouldn't sweat it. RCT is a Martin acoustic guy all the way, and he's bashed pretty much every other acoustic guitar brand, including Gibson.

If by "bashing" you mean I haven't found a Gibson acoustic I'd buy and I always try them, then yes, I agree. Like Paul Reeds and some others, I don't own one because I haven't had a reason to own one. I'll kick Martin in the nuts too if they deserve it, just like Fender. Your story is compelling. I was just in a not authorized repair facility where my partner had his 14 year old Martin in for a reset, covered by the company.

My experience is my experience, I can't change it for yours. Maybe there's a time frame, more than 10 years old, something like that. Maybe there's a joint difference, the newer ones don't get a reset on the house anymore maybe. Maybe something like that. But as in the past several years, this usually starts with somebody posting his or her every empty baseless thought or what they're hearing on facebook and it takes off from there.

I'm here because I need to lord my knuckle dragging Klassik Rokk skills over someone, and the ACKH! coustic guys are so easy!

rct

I don't understand why anyone would be a member of a Gibson forum without owning or even wanting a gibson??

I currently use a Les Paul, Explorer, and SG. I've used Les Pauls since about 1973, and I don't think a house is a home without a few Fenders and a Gibson or two. I'm always on the lookout for a great Gibson acoustic, I just don't seem to run into one whose neck I can get along with. Who's. Whoms.

rct

I currently use a Les Paul, Explorer, and SG. I've used Les Pauls since about 1973, and I don't think a house is a home without a few Fenders and a Gibson or two. I'm always on the lookout for a great Gibson acoustic, I just don't seem to run into one whose neck I can get along with. Who's. Whoms.

rct

Exactly why I said I have no idea why you're in the acoustic section of the Gibson forum. You usually seem to trash any acoustic that isn't a Martin here and on AGF. Maybe you agitated enough people in the other sections of this forum and over at AGF and just come here to give those people a break from you perhaps?

I don't own any PRS guitars, so makes sense that I don't hang around and troll any of the PRS forums either. Same with Taylors. Not a big fan of their guitars either, so I don't participate in their forums. I also don't own an Explorer, Les Paul, and sold my SG's, so no reason to troll around those parts either and spout my affection for Telecasters. You don't like Gibson acoustics, and on many occasions have spouted how Martins are so superior, yet you still hang out here. Just seems to not make sense to me is all.

Exactly why I said I have no idea why you're in the acoustic section of the Gibson forum. You usually seem to trash any acoustic that isn't a Martin here and on AGF. Maybe you agitated enough people in the other sections of this forum and over at AGF and just come here to give those people a break from you perhaps?

I don't own any PRS guitars, so makes sense that I don't hang around and troll any of the PRS forums either. Same with Taylors. Not a big fan of their guitars either, so I don't participate in their forums. I also don't own an Explorer, Les Paul, and sold my SG's, so no reason to troll around those parts either and spout my affection for Telecasters. You don't like Gibson acoustics, and on many occasions have spouted how Martins are so superior, yet you still hang out here. Just seems to not make sense to me is all.

Do you see me at those PRS and Taylor places? Didn't think so. I have used Gibson guitars in all kinds of places doing all kinds of things for a really long time. I'll do whatever this place allows me to do, you'll have to start your own forum and check id's if you want it all to "make sense" to you. So before you throw yer hands up and storm out, again, put some posts up here from me spouting how superior Martins are. Thanks.

rct

Do you see me at those PRS and Taylor places? Didn't think so. I have used Gibson guitars in all kinds of places doing all kinds of things for a really long time. I'll do whatever this place allows me to do, you'll have to start your own forum and check id's if you want it all to "make sense" to you. So before you throw yer hands up and storm out, again, put some posts up here from me spouting how superior Martins are. Thanks.

rct

You also do it on AGF. either way, you're right, you're entitled to do what ever you want. Just seems kind of lame to troll a forum for guitars you have professed not liking. Kind of lame, or have the guys on the Explorer and Les Paul sections grown tired of your replies as well and you're just dying for an audience but have worn out your welcome at most of the other places?

Let us all now grab a beer and chillax! I quote from this thread (sort of) "one guy's POS is another's Holy Grail" and I believe that, just like I believe that a man should own a truck! What KIND of truck is yet another matter, not unlike what guitar a person owns. In my accused role as crabby old a-hole (😄😂😅) I have my preferences, too - guitars, trucks, dogs, horses, shotguns, brands of cowboy boots, guitar straps, motorcycles....

Hell, folks who like the same general categories as I are great to be around, even if their exact taste and experience differs - it just ain't worth splitting hairs.... My poison is Guinness Draught - what are y'all having?

Archived