Gibson Brands Forums

Well......guess you knew it was coming......

Buc McMaster

Had assumed that since I got here Buc=Hummingbird so this caught me by surprise. But I have always appreciated rational thinkers and I applaud anyone willing to "move on" from a beloved instrument when presented with something better. I also admire those that seek out what works for themselves and follows through. I could be better at that. I have been staring at a Guild 12 string in my practice room for 3-4 years and I don't play it much.

I have a feeling that one day I'll buy a Taylor and wonder why I took so long to take one home. I really like that big, bright but detailed tone they have. A Taylor would never take the place of my Gibsons, but one day it would be a nice addition.

I have badmouthed Taylor guitars from time to time here on the forum, mostly because my left hand and Taylor necks are mutually exclusive. Simply stated, it's hard to enjoy a guitar that causes pain when played. I do believe, however, that maple Taylors sound really good. Still won't be inclined to purchase, though😒

I saw a guitar test of the model like Buc's, so for the ones that are wondering what it sounds like:

(I saw this older non cutaway model Taylor 615 at TFOA, where I often compare onliners because they usually lay the same tune/riffs:)

BluesKing777.

I did by a Martin Performing Artist series OM and the electronics on it are second to none. If you get bored with the Taylor, check one out.

Second that, Dave! [thumbup]

Too late as Buc has splashed the cash already, but I have the Martin D18E Retro model, invented after Dave's PA Martin, and which could be one of the best live sounds you ever heard! They have updated some with soundhole controls and an extra adjustable bit on the bridge to pickup some 'air' and the sound of the guitar top.

But my D18E retro has the 'sound of a the guitar recorded in a top studio!' That's the blurb and they are great Martin guitars as well - though I wouldn't buy the one in the video with the runout! [flapper] :

Another tester:

BluesKing777.

Lets give Buc time to see how adapts to the Taylor, we know he can be quite ruthless if the guitar doesnt deliver over time (aka poor Dove ..)

With Taylors, they always seem to sound and feel rather good at beginning, but after a short while I always felt they lagged depth and character. Lets see what Buc's ears tell him a month in.

Lets give Buc time to see how adapts to the Taylor, we know he can be quite ruthless if the guitar doesnt deliver over time (aka poor Dove ..)

With Taylors, they always seem to sound and feel rather good at beginning, but after a short while I always felt they lapped depth and character. Lets see what Buc's ears tell him a month in.

That's the problem I have when trying a guitar out somewhere - I can't really tell what it will be like after playing for a few minutes with people hovering around at a shop. A couple of weeks......different story. But I know if I like it straight away, even if I don't know why.

BluesKing777.

That is just beautiful!

I like Taylors, at one time I had two, when I got my J200, I sold one off to my bro in-law still have the 2005 GS and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Enjoy the playing Buc.

You have now been demoted to Buc Apprentice.

=D> That was good, woof! Ha!

First reports: the s.o.b. is heavy! To be expected, I suppose.......big body, onboard active system, overkill machine heads and the fact that I'm used to the weight of the J-45. Not a deal breaker, no, but not a guitar I'd want to wear for a full night of musical shenanigans. Plays very, very well.......good action from top to bottom. Not overly loud acoustically despite the jumbo body, much like a J-200......gentle giant.

Did last nights' open mic with the J-45 as I'm not yet "in the groove" with the 615. There was a guy there that runs a local studio of some renown that was really taken with my tune, Lucky Stars........called it "masterful poetry". Sheesh. Anyway, he wants to record the tune with some local heavyweights and shop it to his industry contacts. Yeah.....well.....I've been around long enough to have heard such things before. He's to call when he has things arranged for a session.........I won't be holding my breath.

Archived