Gibson Brands Forums

motorhead

nikko18

i just finshed learning ace of spades. it'd really fun to play and relatively easy.

i am now working on the singing and playing at the same time (and on my lemmy voice' date=' haha).[/quote']

I would think all of their stuff is easy to play.

Motorhead should've broken the mainstream instead of Metallica back in the 90's. Songs are better, performances are more fun, guys aren't codpieces like James, Kirk and Lars.

Lemmy and the boys have a permanent place on my playlist. Good taste, man!

H-Bomb

HUGE Motorhead fan since I got No Sleep Til Hammersmith on vinyl in 6th grade. You got to get the album Ace of Spades - awesome, one of those albums that you listen to the whole thing because every song is killer (it's unusual for albums, yknow? there's almost always a couple tunes you skip).

In the late-ish 90s they went more metal, sort of, and I haven't been too too crazy about their stuff after "Bastards." (a rippin album. the preceding one, March or Die kinda sucked tho)

A few other tunes by way of introduction: No Class, Mean Machine, The Hammer, and if you want a good feedback solo: We Are The Roadcrew.

**If you want to improve your record collection: Ace of Spades, Overkill, Orgasmatron, No Remorse, Bastards, & No Sleep Til Hammersmith are their best albums. They're overflowing with chops (Bluemoon is shooting his mouth off, he has no idea what he's talking about), delinquent attitude, style, and a HELL of a beat thanks to Philthy.

no not those *****s who copied thier name (radiohead) no' date=' motorhead. i have found them to be one of my favorite bands lately. any other motorhead fans on the forum?

[/quote']

First of all, not true man. Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song. It's off one of their last 2 or 3 albums.

Second of all, why would you call Radiohead pussies? Motorheads a decent speed rock band but in 20 years they are just going to be a footnote. Radiohead on the other hand is not only artistically but commercially one of the ballsiest bands around. Also note that while also making the music they want to they also enjoy a crapload of success all over the world.

Who else would release their album online for however much their fans want to pay? That was a move that I believe forshadows a change in the way music is distributed. Not only that but almost every album except Pablo Honey is interesting, creative, unique, and NOTHING like anything else out there. Not only that but they are so tight as a band and they all play very well. They have 3 guitars but they go for texture over slabs of riffs because thats all been done.

Just because they aren't playing fast or using distortion and the same three rock chords that make you touch yourself doesn't mean they are pussies. It means you can't appreciate art, which music is supposed to be a branch of. Sure, Motorhead plays really fast, loud, and hard, but so does a TRILLION other bands. While being different doesn't make you great, it certainly doesn't hurt your chances.

Nowadays bands everywhere are copying Radiohead just like people use to copy bands and artists from the past. The times are changing, and Radiohead laid down the forefront for the music of the new millennium. They had a huge hit with Creep, but their producer made them do it. Then when they released their genius second album The Bends no one bought their albums even though they became critical darlings due to that album.

Now I know I'm probably going to get attacked now because I didn't back up the hard rock band but I didn't really knock them either. I don't mind Motorhead.

Nikko, a lot of musicians are pussies, and Radiohead is not one. I'm just trying to help you realize that there's more to music than "rocking." Johnny Greenwood, the guitarist from Radiohead, is a very talented guitarist that does some amazing stuff. Thom Yorke has a very cool original voice too, it's like a choirboy from hell. In fact it'd be a lot harder to play or sing like either of them because its so alien to most of the stuff you listen to.

I'm not saying you should like Radiohead, just that its ignorant not to respect creatively honest musicians because you're not a fan of their music.

Sorry if I seemed harsh I just get upset when musicians are ignorant about music.

First of all' date=' not true man. Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song. It's off one of their last 2 or 3 albums.

Second of all, why would you call Radiohead pussies? Motorheads a decent speed rock band but in 20 years they are just going to be a footnote. Radiohead on the other hand is not only artistically but commercially one of the ballsiest bands around. Also note that while also making the music they want to they also enjoy a crapload of success all over the world.

Who else would release their album online for however much their fans want to pay? That was a move that I believe forshadows a change in the way music is distributed. Not only that but almost every album except Pablo Honey is interesting, creative, unique, and NOTHING like anything else out there. Not only that but they are so tight as a band and they all play very well. They have 3 guitars but they go for texture over slabs of riffs because thats all been done.

Just because they aren't playing fast or using distortion and the same three rock chords that make you touch yourself doesn't mean they are pussies. It means you can't appreciate art, which music is supposed to be a branch of. Sure, Motorhead plays really fast, loud, and hard, but so does a TRILLION other bands. While being different doesn't make you great, it certainly doesn't hurt your chances.

Nowadays bands everywhere are copying Radiohead just like people use to copy bands and artists from the past. The times are changing, and Radiohead laid down the forefront for the music of the new millennium. They had a huge hit with Creep, but their producer made them do it. Then when they released their genius second album The Bends no one bought their albums even though they became critical darlings due to that album.

Now I know I'm probably going to get attacked now because I didn't back up the hard rock band but I didn't really knock them either. I don't mind Motorhead.

Nikko, a lot of musicians are pussies, and Radiohead is not one. I'm just trying to help you realize that there's more to music than "rocking." Johnny Greenwood, the guitarist from Radiohead, is a very talented guitarist that does some amazing stuff. Thom Yorke has a very cool original voice too, it's like a choirboy from hell. In fact it'd be a lot harder to play or sing like either of them because its so alien to most of the stuff you listen to.

I'm not saying you should like Radiohead, just that its ignorant not to respect creatively honest musicians because you're not a fan of their music.

Sorry if I seemed harsh I just get upset when musicians are ignorant about music.

[/quote']

you really did drink the kool-aid didnt you? you sound like their publicist spitting out all of the things that "should" make them great. you even did took the "ultra hip" path of slamming the one thing they did that everyone likes.... SO indie of you. no one is impressed.

personally, i don't care if you like motorhead or not. doesn't bother me in the slightest. you can like radiohead too.... but i think you drastically overestimate radiohead's accomplishments and drastically underestimate those of motorhead.

you really did drink the kool-aid didnt you? you sound like their publicist spitting out all of the things that "should" make them great. you even did took the "ultra hip" path of slamming the one thing they did that everyone likes.... SO indie of you. no one is impressed.

personally' date=' i don't care if you like motorhead or not. doesn't bother me in the slightest. you can like radiohead too.... but i think you drastically overestimate radiohead's accomplishments and drastically underestimate those of motorhead. [/quote']

I do love my Kool Aid...

If I came across that way then I messed up. I'm not even that big a Radiohead fan, I love hard rock. I'm in a somewhat hard rock band that is NOTHING like Radiohead. I also don't mind Pablo Honey at all but it just doesn't stick out to me like their later albums do. I feel the same way about Motorhead. It's good and I'll put them on every now and then.

Nikko started the thread by knocking Radiohead and saying they ripped their name off from Motorhead. I corrected that and then got so overwhelmed with fury that I wrote a real long rant.

My whole point is, everyone on here is a musician on some level. Some people are more "collectors" I guess but they still love music and enjoy playing it on their beautiful Gibson guitars. Now as a musician, wouldn't you want other musicians to at least respect your music even if its not their taste? Granted there's bands like Coldplay, The Jones Brothers, and so many more that rely on their influences or their PR department to achieve success in the music industry. But when a band or artist stands up and does something new and gets success just because they make interesting music, you should respect their art no matter how much you don't like it.

Now Motorhead falls into this category too, they sounded different when they came out and a ton of people just brushed them aside. Not fair.

Its the golden rule man treat others as you would like to be treated. Too many musicians are close-minded snobs who don't understand how hard a lot of professional musicians work especially since the people who are making fun of them are usually just a normal person whos music career could never go beyond their local area.

Sorry I came across like an indie-snob but this particular issue really makes me mad.

Saw Lemmy come out and do a blistering set with Metallica one night at Irvine Meadows in Orange County. It was a great set. It was also James Hetfield's birthday. Lars ran out from the drum riser and hit James in the face with a cream pie. It was great fun. Blistering performance too.

So the poster thinks Radiohead are limp-wristed, effete, pretty-boy sissies... you can't fault him for that, can you? He was off on where Radiohead got their name, oh noes! We don't give a rat's *** if he's right or wrong because it's beside the point of his post. Don't get your girly drawz all twisted over it... isn't there a sale at American Apparel or something you could better focus your hip, intellectual, effeminate "fury" on?

Uh, back OT... I dunno, I always loved Motorhead for being unpretentious and their tremendous dirtbag mystique. And they're fast and loud.

"Fast and Loose" ... another great tune.

first of all, i know radiohead didn't really steal motorheads name (or did they?). that was a F ing joke! :-

second of all, i was not actually dissing radioheds music (but it does suck behond belief!). i never said anything about it being bad i was simply starting my thread (ABOUT MOTORHEAD) with a joke about how the names were similar.

also radiohead can never be s good as motorhead cause they don't F U C K I N G ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw them at the grammys and while their music was different, it was also boring and lame.

oh and also what are rdiohead going to be in 20 years??? nothing cause they are lame and no one will like them. hahahahahaha

radiohead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpblnsJEWM

motorhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97LFe7Xphk

tell which band is more fun to listen to? the *****s or motorhead?

Archived