Gibson Brands Forums

Paint a new guitar?

LarryUK

I've seen a new Les Paul at a great price (LP standard, £1350) The only snag is, it's a natural finish mahogany top. I've fancied a red top Les Paul for ages, so, my question is. Is it stupid to buy a new one and have the top painted red by a great luthier I know?

Well, just to be contrary I would not do it. Granted you buy it, it's yours, you can do whatever you wish with it, but I'm assuming this is the model you refer to:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Mahogany-Top.aspx

This is a beautiful and unique guitar in that most LPs of course have a maple top. I wouldn't hide that nice finish under red paint. Also I wonder if you have played it and heard what it sounds like? I would think the mahogany top would sound quite different from the usual maple so something you might want to look into before purchasing.

I just love natural finishes and wood grain and would hate to see this get covered up with paint [scared]

Well, just to be contrary I would not do it. Granted you buy it, it's yours, you can do whatever you wish with it, but I'm assuming this is the model you refer to:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Mahogany-Top.aspx

This is a beautiful and unique guitar in that most LPs of course have a maple top. I wouldn't hide that nice finish under red paint. Also I wonder if you have played it and heard what it sounds like? I would think the mahogany top would sound quite different from the usual maple so something you might want to look into before purchasing.

I just love natural finishes and wood grain and would hate to see this get covered up with paint [scared]

Yes. That's it. But for £1350 Uk It's a bargain price for a Standard. I've got natural guitars. If it had atop like my Mirage, yes. But it's plain.

14519765_10210587499626636_6017226274585884233_n.jpg?oh=4571b59cf2ed501122d1237663c06adc&oe=59FCDCAC

I wouldn't but that's just me. I'd get the guitar I wanted with the paint the color I wanted rather than refinish one. I love seeing the natural grain of the wood showing through. But, that's my opinion. And, it's a limited edition and Les Pauls typically have a maple top, not mahogany. Refinishing it will diminish the value, if you care about that.

All that being said, after you buy the guitar, it's yours and you can do with it whatever you want.

Archived