Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center

badbluesplayer

So a guy brings me an amp that he just bought at Guitar Center. A used Marshall JCM2000 TSL100, about 10 years old. He played it a few days and it fizzled out and the Guitar Center guy says over the phone that the output transformer's blown - which is like telling the guy he needs a new transmission when his shifter knob fell off - and to return it. Anyway, he talks them into letting us look at it instead of returning it.

So he brings it in and we replace the tubes and rebias it and play it in and he's all set to go with fresh tubes for a hundred bucks. Guitar Center is going to reimburse him for the new tubes. We made $0.41 on the $100 worth of tubes, biased it for free and netted one friend and new customer.

Good on GC.

[thumbup]

Wow. We need a repair shop like yours in our area. Nice job.

My son has the same head. He had it sitting on top of a 4x12 cab. One day I needed to move them. When I rolled the cab away from the wall, the cable plugged into the amp got caught on something and down it went with a crash. I turned it on briefly and one of the tubes red plated. This tube had been iffy anyway, so I think the fall finished it off.

Fortunately, I had tubes for it. I got them installed and figured out how to bias the amp before my son got home. I was sweating bullets, though. I thought I had toasted the amp. LOL

Guitar Center is going to reimburse him for the new tubes. We made $0.41 on the $100 worth of tubes, biased it for free and netted one friend and new customer.

Good on GC.

[thumbup]

Good on you too. He woulda probably smelled the transformer going. [biggrin]

Some of those newer Marshalls are real bastards to work on. With all the crazy PC boards etc.

I guess you were lucky that it was only tubes and not components.

I don,t know your business,and don,t follow how you did work and only netted 41cents. Maybe i have read this wrong??

Good on You Badbluesplayer. Need more people like you. Lots of people I've heard hate GC but I've had great luck with them. When Deb bought my 12 string from them it played fine on the 1st 5 frets and I never went above that. Right before the warranty expires I checked it out and find above that to the 12th fret it sounded terrible. The neck was bent and warped when I took it in. So they sent it back and gave me a brand new guitar, no questions asked.

Some of those newer Marshalls are real bastards to work on. With all the crazy PC boards etc.

I guess you were lucky that it was only tubes and not components.

I don,t know your business,and don,t follow how you did work and only netted 41cents. Maybe i have read this wrong??

Yeah, no big profit on that job! We buy tubes wholesale and sell them for the same price as the retail division of the same company. When I made up the bill, I looked at the retail prices and didn't realize they were having a 15% off sale so I billed him 15% off the retail price. With 15% shipping that we have to pay, that about ate the profit. :rolleyes:

Archived