Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pickups

Dub-T-123

I am swapping the pickups in my 2006 SG Standard and was a little surprised when I measured the original pickups (dc resistance).

The bridge pickup is a 498T and it is about 7.9K ohms. The neck pickup is a 490R and it is about 14K ohms

I guess this indicates that the neck pickup was wound “hotter”? Seemed to me that the neck pickup was always louder, regardless of pickup height

The guitar also had 300K volume pots and 500K tone pots. I guess they were trying to make the stock pickups less bright.

Inductance, capacitance, magnet type/strength, wire gauge as other factors are much more useful when talking about these matters than ohms. The ohms is the dc resistance only and with a pickup gives a false reading as the resistance in the wire is 0 hertz and has nothing to do with output or tone. Unfortunately it was popularised with marketing and now people only consider this.

Edit: Out of interest what style of wiring does the guitar have since this can affect the pickups massively and how the controls interact with each other?

Inductance, capacitance, magnet type/strength, wire gauge as other factors are much more useful when talking about these matters than ohms. The ohms is the dc resistance only and with a pickup gives a false reading as the resistance in the wire is 0 hertz and has nothing to do with output or tone. Unfortunately it was popularised with marketing and now people only consider this

Resistance is measured in ohms, not hertz. The wire does have resistance, and measuring its resistance can give you an idea of how many wraps of wire are in the pickup which contributes to the output and tone.

I didn’t make any claims about how the dc resistance can be used to assess tone

Resistance is measured in ohms, not hertz. The wire does have resistance, and measuring its resistance can give you an idea of how many wraps of wire are in the pickup which contributes to the output and tone.

I didn't make any claims about how the dc resistance can be used to assess tone

Typo on my part, I meant resonance being 0

Anyway, back to your pickups, I've just looked at the specs, the 490 sees to be alnico 2 and the 498 seems to be alnico 5 which seems counter intuitive since 5 is a more powerful magnet. You could check the inductance, voltage output, frequency response, frequency of peak output and other things like the frame materials of the pickup if it was bugging you

Actually, no. The difference in general is that the bridge version of a particular pickup will be wound hotter. The bridge pickup is a 498T and it is about 7.9K ohms. The neck pickup is a 490R and it is about 14K ohms? You sure? Sounds backwards.

Both the pickups in my 2005 Faded SG Standard are 490 and they both measure 7.9k

That’s more what I would expect to see (and my SG is from 2006 so from right around the same time as yours). I guess maybe they went a little crazy winding mine or maybe it’s a different pickup altogether? Who knows

Did you try them the in opposite order you may think different about them and not need new pick-ups.

No, didn’t try swapping them. I just needed new pots and to shield the rear cavity but wanted to try some different pickups while I’m at it.

Isn't it the case that the neck pickup is usually over/around 24th fret area and picks up a lot more harmonics and er...string resonances...? :-k

Dat my theory! [smile]

If you have a pickup that is directly under the 24th fret position it won’t pick up that harmonic or the same harmonic at the 5th fret (try it on a Tele neck pickup. I always thought that was interesting. But yeah if you moved the same pickup from the bridge to the neck position it would be louder. I think the string vibrates more there than at the bridge

If you have a pickup that is directly under the 24th fret position it won’t pick up that harmonic or the same harmonic at the 5th fret (try it on a Tele neck pickup. I always thought that was interesting. But yeah if you moved the same pickup from the bridge to the neck position it would be louder. I think the string vibrates more there than at the bridge

Yes. The late 90's LP Double Cuts had problems with the neck pickup being right on the node it shouldn't be.

rct

Isn't it the case that the neck pickup is usually over/around 24th fret area

Absolutely such as the Les Paul and the 70s SGs also and many will tell you the 70s are some of the better sounding SGs out here for that reason. So for example in the case of the DC or the SG today-and the 60s - the pick-ups are moved further back. DC came 24 frets and the SG either 22 or 24 has the same neck pick-up location which is why imo the SG just makes perfect sense for the 24 frets. Or they can revist the 70s thinking -more problematic with the neck joint.

So you have a trade off in essense.

Archived