Gibson Brands Forums

Was wondering what to expect after surgery

kelly campbell

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you've been able to sleep o.k. Kelly. You might end up having to take a few naps.

All your incisions doing o.k.?

So I think I remember that when I came out of surgery there were nine tubes/probes sticking into me. How about you? Oh, and did you have the freaking grommet in your jugular with the wires and stuff coming out of your neck? Neat, huh? It's not ever day you get to have a grommet in your neck. It makes for a nice fashion accessory. [laugh]

Hi Zipper Clubber, Yes I had the grommet...to me it was strange when they pulled the tubes out of my chest, strange feeeling. One of my incisions near the back of my knee keep draining, not blood just like water/clear luiquid. the others are doing just fine. no not been able to sleep more than two to three hours at once then back up. Honestly the worst thing for me so far throught the entire ordeal is the OPIOD induced lock down on my system..the last two days have been horrible then I hurt literally for hours after words... I stopped taking all pain meds on friday evening due to this...no pun intended but thats some rough Sh*t...makes me wonder how does these kids do it? How do they avoid the pain and total solidification of the contents of the bowels. Nothing is worth that.

Great news (told ya!).

It's great if you can use as little of the pain meds as possible. They appear to be pretty seductive, since everyone these days apparently gets hooked on them and then ODs on Fentanyl-cut heroin.

Great news (told ya!).

It's great if you can use as little of the pain meds as possible. They appear to be pretty seductive, since everyone these days apparently gets hooked on them and then ODs on Fentanyl-cut heroin.

No way I will let myself get hooked on them, as I stated the side effects just are not worth it..Also I was never a pain pill guy even in my youth, we smoked our weed and dabbled a little in Cocaine and LSD back 40 years ago...but I never liked pain pills.

No way I will let myself get hooked on them, as I stated the side effects just are not worth it..Also I was never a pain pill guy even in my youth, we smoked our weed and dabbled a little in Cocaine and LSD back 40 years ago...but I never liked pain pills.

I recall getting constipated from a single shot of morphine in the hospital! I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but pleasant it was not!

Yeah. I went off the percocets or whatever they are after two days at home. I couldn't stand it after like a week on the stuff. First morphine, then the heavy duty pills. I got onto 800 mg of iborofen and went from there. If you could find some gummies or something along those lines that might help too, on top of the ibuprofen. And I think you can take both ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Not sure. [thumbup]

Yeah. I went off the percocets or whatever they are after two days at home. I couldn't stand it after like a week on the stuff. First morphine, then the heavy duty pills. I got onto 800 mg of iborofen and went from there. If you could find some gummies or something along those lines that might help too, on top of the ibuprofen. And I think you can take both ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Not sure. [thumbup]

I too would strongly advise to ask, but you can take the relatively non-toxic ibuprofen with most anything, unless it's something that makes you prone to bleeding.

But, consult a physician.

Pain Management is important. Studies have found you heal more quickly and completely if you are not 'in pain'. But, some doctors may over-prescribe. I'm even conservative with Daily Vitamins, so pain pills... sometimes I don't fill the scrip.

GLAD YOU'RE OVER THE HUMP. THE FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN IS SOMETIMES WORSE THAN THE ACTUAL EVENT!

Pain Management is important. Studies have found you heal more quickly and completely if you are not 'in pain'. But, some doctors may over-prescribe. I'm even conservative with Daily Vitamins, so pain pills... sometimes I don't fill the scrip.

GLAD YOU'RE OVER THE HUMP. THE FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN IS SOMETIMES WORSE THAN THE ACTUAL EVENT!

yeah, around here they are really getting tough to get the prescriptions...too bad some people truely need or could use it..I am not one of those but it surely is a shame it has come to this. Where are you in South Texas? Thinking of coming that way some time so I am just curious in case I need some advice/tips.

I have friend in Michigan who supplies the gummies if needed...!!

So, what arteries did you have bypassed? Do you remember? I had the left anterior decending - that was pretty much totally clogged. They bypassed that with my left mammary artery. And I had the left circumflex - it had some kind of congenital kink in it and was clogged. They used the radial artery from my left arm (after making sure I was right handed [unsure] ) for that one. My widowmaker - whichever one that is was clogged and they used the vein from my left calf for that one.

Hang in there! Take it easy.

So glad you pulled through the surgery and doing fine Kelly. I never had heart issues before so couldn't respond about that. Although Brain cancer tumor surgery was no fun at all. That wiped me out for a year of No guitar playing. Hope recovery goes fast for you and your better in no time. msp_thumbup.gif

yeah, around here they are really getting tough to get the prescriptions...too bad some people truely need or could use it..I am not one of those but it surely is a shame it has come to this. Where are you in South Texas? Thinking of coming that way some time so I am just curious in case I need some advice/tips.

San Antonio on and off for 15 years. 10 years in Houston before that. Let me know.

So glad you pulled through the surgery and doing fine Kelly. I never had heart issues before so couldn't respond about that. Although Brain cancer tumor surgery was no fun at all. That wiped me out for a year of No guitar playing. Hope recovery goes fast for you and your better in no time. msp_thumbup.gif

Man, I know I would rather have a heart surgery had I than to have Cancer much less Brain variety. I have a very close friend who is going throught the type that John Mcain has..not good he had surgery last June to remove some of the tumor. they say this type can not be cured or completely removed so they are just trying to give him a better quality of life for as long as possible. How long ago did you have your surgery? I just cant imagine going through that. Sounds like you have completely recovered?

Man, I know I would rather have a heart surgery had I than to have Cancer much less Brain variety. I have a very close friend who is going throught the type that John Mcain has..not good he had surgery last June to remove some of the tumor. they say this type can not be cured or completely removed so they are just trying to give him a better quality of life for as long as possible. How long ago did you have your surgery? I just cant imagine going through that. Sounds like you have completely recovered?

Yes, September 11th this year marks my 30th Anniversary since I went in to the hospital. I wasn't given much chances to survive it back then in 88. They pretty much wrote me off so I became their first experiment, a guinea pig if you will. they hit me up very heavy with all they had plus a bone marrow harvest. I had lots of bad side effects from it all 3 years latter. I have an Uncle that went through 2 heart attacks plus my mom so have an idea about it and its no fun either. But I was on pain killers and steroids as it felt like someone was beating me in the head with a baseball bat day and night for a long time so the pain was unbearable. Best wishes and prayers to you Kelly for recovery. you will be playing again in no time.msp_thumbup.gif

Yes, September 11th this year marks my 30th Anniversary since I went in to the hospital. I wasn't given much chances to survive it back then in 88. They pretty much wrote me off so I became their first experiment, a guinea pig if you will. they hit me up very heavy with all they had plus a bone marrow harvest. I had lots of bad side effects from it all 3 years latter. I have an Uncle that went through 2 heart attacks plus my mom so have an idea about it and its no fun either. But I was on pain killers and steroids as it felt like someone was beating me in the head with a baseball bat day and night for a long time so the pain was unbearable. Best wishes and prayers to you Kelly for recovery. you will be playing again in no time.msp_thumbup.gif

Congratulations on being cancer-free for 30 years! Man, think of all the wonderful things that you accomplished in that time. God Bless you, brother.

• 3 weeks later...

So how's it been going, Kelly? Now's probably about the time you're starting to get pretty sick of this recovery stuff, huh?

I remember it being pretty rough at about a month. People tend to expect you to be all better at that point and it's hard for people to understand how difficult it is. It's kind of like having a bunch of busted ribs. Sure, you're getting better but it ain't any fun!

Are you going to be doing cardiac rehab? I did it starting at about 1-1/2 months or so from surgery and it was twice a week and lasted for a couple of months. It was a smart decision for me to do it. You do exercise and stuff but they also talk about diet, lifestyle and stuff like that. And the best thing is that they help get your confidence back.

They released me for full activity at about three months and I immediately had a bunch of mountain bike crashes. I smashed my shoulder and collarbone the first week and broke a rib and got a pleural effusion and pleuresy couple months later. My right collarbone is like an inch higher than the left. Oops. [biggrin]

Keep us posted!

Hi Bad Blues Player, I am doing pretty good, I am sick of sitting at home. I am used to being on the go to satisfy my music needs for Guitars and Live shows. Two days after I am seeing the Surgeon, hopefully to be released to drive, I am going to see Jack Johnson with my daughter. I am and have been looking forward to the time spend with just her and I. I did have to sell the lawn seats and buy some pavillion seats once this all popped up.

I am not sure about cardiac rehab...I have been contacted by two different places concerning that. Yeah I am kinda befuddled by some people and their reaction to where I am in my recoverey even though I have been told by the Dr's I am doing fantastic. I dont remember exactly the terminology and names of the arteries affected but I got all the Dr's reports on exactly everything they did. I started to read it then stopped when I got to the part in the beginning saying he cut throught the bone with a recipricating saw, made me feel odd LOL I know thats silly but I am going to finish it sometime. Thanks for asking BBP..I will look up which ones they did.

So how's it been going, Kelly? Now's probably about the time you're starting to get pretty sick of this recovery stuff, huh?

They released me for full activity at about three months and I immediately had a bunch of mountain bike crashes. I smashed my shoulder and collarbone the first week and broke a rib and got a pleural effusion and pleuresy couple months later. My right collarbone is like an inch higher than the left. Oops. [biggrin]

Keep us posted!

OUCH. I bet that Hurt!. msp_scared.gif

Hi Bad Blues Player, I am doing pretty good, I am sick of sitting at home. I am used to being on the go to satisfy my music needs for Guitars and Live shows. Two days after I am seeing the Surgeon, hopefully to be released to drive, I am going to see Jack Johnson with my daughter. I am and have been looking forward to the time spend with just her and I.

Are you restricted to home Kelly? Yeah, they took my car keys and hid them so I couldn't drive anywhere. The doctor told Deb to hide them because I still had double vision for a long time after. I remember how it felt being stuck at home and to top things off Debbie had her mom come over and sit while Deb. was at work so I couldn't do anything. Wow, I loved it when she had to leave for something. I grabbed my Doberman, bad vision and all and took him all around the neighborhood for walks. That actually helped me recover faster but never told them I did that. Probably a good thing they took my car keys though? msp_flapper.gif How long has it been since your surgery now? Have fun with your daughter too.

OUCH. I bet that Hurt!. msp_scared.gif

Are you restricted to home Kelly? Yeah, they took my car keys and hid them so I couldn't drive anywhere. The doctor told Deb to hide them because I still had double vision for a long time after. I remember how it felt being stuck at home and to top things off Debbie had her mom come over and sit while Deb. was at work so I couldn't do anything. Wow, I loved it when she had to leave for something. I grabbed my Doberman, bad vision and all and took him all around the neighborhood for walks. That actually helped me recover faster but never told them I did that. Probably a good thing they took my car keys though? msp_flapper.gif How long has it been since your surgery now? Have fun with your daughter too.

Hi Retired yeah I am not able to drive but I am allowed to go as much as I want. I cant wait I have been very tempted but so far I have followed the rules...probably one of the few times in my entire life. thursday will be five weeks.

Hi Retired yeah I am not able to drive but I am allowed to go as much as I want. I cant wait I have been very tempted but so far I have followed the rules...probably one of the few times in my entire life. thursday will be five weeks.

msp_thumbup.gif Good for you.

The main reason they restrict driving is in the slim chance you are in an accident, the seat belt, or steering wheel...

When I got out of the hospital from open heart surgery a few years ago- discharged on Saturday, snuck out on Tuesday evening (3 days later) and bought a "life is too short" guitar. It's a nice guitar.

When I got out of the hospital from open heart surgery a few years ago- discharged on Saturday, snuck out on Tuesday evening (3 days later) and bought a "life is too short" guitar. It's a nice guitar.

LOL... nice one. That's a special guitar.

Keep up the good work, Kelly. I'm happy you are mending so well.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived