Gibson Brands Forums

Was wondering what to expect after surgery

kelly campbell

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly I can't offer specific advice because I've fortunately not been through what you're going to be going through but I wanted to offer up my prayers for a good surgery and a faster than normal recovery. I think the advice from my friend Jon Waldo (Bad Blues Player) is probably the best advice since he has gone through this & he is a fellow guitarist. God bless the guitar player in you because you just want to play as soon as possible afterwards - but brother - focus on th healing first & foremost. Don't try to play too soon because I don't want you doing anything that will delay your full recovery as soon as possible, Take care of you, follow doctors orders, attend your rehab afterwards & just take care of you. Please keep us posted as you can and take good care!

Thanks a lot Rev..for the prayers and enouragement...you guys/gals make this place great.

Fellow Zipper Clubber Bad Blues Player suggested a recliner chair- a powered cheap one can be found for around $200, even includes USB charger. You'll love it so much, you may not want to go back to the bed! Good luck

I have a recliner and have had to sleep in it before..so we are set there..thanks Welcome to the forum enjoy your stay.

Thanks again to everyone and your advise and best wishes..very comforting to hears the encouragement.. TGhanks Tman for your advise as well I will look into who will be doing the harvesting of viens. Thannks a million to bad blues palyer for first hand expierience, by the way I sent you a personal message..some good people here I have always said that is why I am here. thanks again to all of all.

You'll be fine. It IS major surgery, but I know several people who've had it (lately - all recovered just fine) where the doctor's sentiment was "not gonna say it's like removing a mole, but the advances in heart surgery have been huge".

From just cursory reading up on it, indeed they have.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I have never had open heart surgery, but the friends and family that I have known, over the years, who had such procedures reported:

* Very vivid and strange dreams for the few few weeks following the surgery

* Moderate but manageable pain during the recovery

and

* A very slow but steady process of regaining strength.

:unsure:

Well my reply is late as Kelly should have had his surgery by now and may not have access to the forum for awhile.

I had a quintuple bypass in 2005 and it will probably be a few weeks at least before you feel like trying to play. I was in hospital for about 7-10 days after surgery and then stayed with my sister for another 7-10 after that. By that time I was able to go up and down stairs, live on my own and started rehab a few times a week. Need time for the sternum to heal back up (4-6 weeks) before you will be comfortable playing. There will be many basic things you need to get back to doing before guitar playing comes up, but you will come back and may even appreciate playing a little more than before the surgery.

Good luck and here's to a speedy recovery. [thumbup]

Hello fellow Gibson enthusiasts,, first of all let me say thanks again for the overwhelming support and encouragement, it is greatly appreciated. So after all of my concern, this has been relatively mild considering what they did. I was set to have the quadruple by-pass but once in there they could only do a triple as the fourth was closed completely and brittle...the Dr went cack to 2013 film of other procedures I had and said it has been that way since then. So I was bothered much more by my leg than anything else and that only lasted a couple days..I was released from the hospital on the 5th day folowing surgery. although I could not play worth a damn I did pick up an acoustic that day for just a few minutes..Of course I could not play well to start with...LOL..I am only taking half of the pain meds they prescribed. Yesterday the first full day out of hospital I went with my wife to sweetwater 50 miles away and then to lunch and then was playing again last night and will every day I am able to from now on..it is truely remarkable how they do things now days... Again thanks to everyone.

I was relieved to read the good news, I am still going to be praying for your healing.

God bless you, we are glad you are going to remain with us for quite a while.

Hey George I will take any kind of support given...Thanks for the prayers it certainly is appreciated..yeah I am glad to be around for as long as possible.

KC

Welcome back Kelly! Very glad to hear you're on the mend brother. Follow doctors orders & take it easy my friend. we're getting the band back together & we'll need you to be our main shredder. Keep on rockin!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Welcome back Kelly! Very glad to hear you're on the mend brother. Follow doctors orders & take it easy my friend. we're getting the band back together & we'll need you to be our main shredder. Keep on rockin!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks Rev... We are in trouble if I am gonna be the main shredder..LOL far more talented people here than I. Thanks

I hope you've been able to sleep o.k. Kelly. You might end up having to take a few naps.

All your incisions doing o.k.?

So I think I remember that when I came out of surgery there were nine tubes/probes sticking into me. How about you? Oh, and did you have the freaking grommet in your jugular with the wires and stuff coming out of your neck? Neat, huh? It's not ever day you get to have a grommet in your neck. It makes for a nice fashion accessory. [laugh]

Archived