Gibson Brands Forums

The cost of boutique

Dub-T-123

Normally I would complain about boutique prices, but I just sold a used boutique pedal on eBay for $700 plus (expensive insured international) shipping.

It was a truly high quality and rare piece but I’m sorta laughing all the way to the bank right now. Don’t fall for the hype on some of these things [scared]

I sat at the picnic tables out backa Fender and had a cigar and coffee with a couple Customme Shoppe guys. It was a hoot. That's as close to boutique as I'll ever get.

rct

Normally I would complain about boutique prices, but I just sold a used boutique pedal on eBay for $700 plus (expensive insured international) shipping.

It was a truly high quality and rare piece but I’m sorta laughing all the way to the bank right now. Don’t fall for the hype on some of these things [scared]

some days you're the windshield. some days you're the bug..

I have a buttload of boutique pedals. I love em all. I have always told my friends & anyone who ever asked me - if you're just playing at home for your goldfish or your dogs - you don't need boutique. If you're in a band & you're the lead player & you need to cut thru the mix with your solo - then boutique may be the answer for you. That having been said - I bought a new in the box old gray Ross Compressor for $20 from a guitar store in town. It had been sitting there for years. The owner of the store, Fred, said "you want that thing"? $20. I'm like alrighty then. Several years later, a guy in the band "Phish" was seen using one and the prices on those things skyrocketed. At that point I bought my 1st boutique pedal - a Keeley Electronics 2 knob compressor. I then listed my Ross compressor for sale on the old Harmony Central guitar forum. Sold it to a guy in Pennsylvania for $600. He was thrilled. I was thrilled. And away we go. [biggrin]

Since I have been building pedals somewhat obsessively for almost 10 years now my collection just got way beyond anything I can actually put to use. Since I have all the parts and experience to build the same or a better version of the pedal it’s a no brainer for me to cash in and put the money towards recording gear.

I’ve been unloading a bunch of pedals on eBay and it feels good. I have several other very valuable stompboxes and some I know I won’t sell but others are hard to decide. I could get good money for my Univox Superfuzz. I tend to prefer the sound of my Ace Tone FM-2 and I can easily clone the Superfuzz, but when the hell will I ever find another Superfuzz that I’m willing to pony up for?

Archived