Gibson Brands Forums

Interested in Nature stuff?

Digger

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/quoll-breeding-program-a-success/9958188

These little guys have been wiped out on the mainland by introduced foxes and feral cats.

I hope this works for you people.

Here in Florida we have our share of exotic plants and animals wiping out natives.

The feral burmese pythons are making the native small animals like rabbits and opossums become threatened, pacific Lionfish are replacing local fish, green iguanas, water hyacinths, casuarina (from Oz planted by orange grovers), and tons of others. Even the feral hogs brought over by the conquistadors are tearing up the place.

I like to get out into nature and observe wildlife, and I've seen the change here and in the Everglades over the years. Exotic pet escapes or releases, people bringing in animals with no predators (like the rabbits in oz), and people bringing in exotic plants for their gardens.

In the past, a lot of it was done innocently, without knowing the consequences, and although we know better now, it still goes on.

But then we of European, and African decent here in North America are exotics too that ran amok and took over, so I guess we are part of that problem.

Notes

But then we of European, and African decent here in North America are exotics too that ran amok and took over, so I guess we are part of that problem.

Notes

[thumbdn]

there's not supposed to be any politics on this forum. it's not a new rule. keep your b.s. politics to yourself, because the rest of us are not allowed to continue that part of the discussion. when you drop controversial political statements like that, it's unfair to those of us who disagree.

TBH I don't think he made a political statement, but....I think 'YMMV' is the term..?

It was more a point about invasive species; perhaps he just expressed it the wrong way for it to come over well in print.

(Edited, see below)

BTW my original reply had an embedded link to a posting of Cream's "Politician" on YouTube, which is a "Tongue in Cheek presentation of the 2016 US Presidential campaign set to the 1968 song"...1968 song, 50 years old! Off-topic, eh?

Music and images.

Regards!

I confess I had never even heard of quolls before. I hope they can make a comeback.

Thanks ME so do I though hard to see how they can survive animals that kill and eat 10’s of thousands of native birds each cat, per year

Because of the damage I see done just here, I shoot them on site if I get the opportunity. To me they are all feral, if they are running loose.

[thumbdn]

there's not supposed to be any politics on this forum. it's not a new rule. keep your b.s. politics to yourself, because the rest of us are not allowed to continue that part of the discussion. when you drop controversial political statements like that, it's unfair to those of us who disagree.

Hmm.

I didn't think that was political. And I think it was appropriate for the forum.

When talking about exotic species introduced to a land, the exotic humans are no exception.

BTW, I'm one of the exotics, my grandparents came from Europe to North America.

My apologies if you were offended.

Notes

1531419476[/url]' post='1945204']

Hmm.

I didn't think that was political. And I think it was appropriate for the forum.

When talking about exotic species introduced to a land, the exotic humans are no exception.

BTW, I'm one of the exotics, my grandparents came from Europe to North America.

My apologies if you were offended.

Notes

Maybe the point was that we humans are all the same species. Not like cats VS birds. So, Europeans weren't "an invasive species" since there were already humans here.

Maybe the point was that we humans are all the same species. Not like cats VS birds. So, Europeans weren't "an invasive species" since there were already humans here.

You do have a good point there.

But for the sake of debate, I would correct that to say since we all came out of Africa, we are exotics everywhere else.

But that evokes the question, how long must a newcomer be here before it is no longer exotic but native? In North America humans came in one ice age, and then again in the next ice age. When they got here Mastodons and Wooly Mammoths where here.

I can't answer the question and I think there may be no definitive answer.

We tend to think of species introduced in our short current and recent history as exotic, but that bird or mammal that found it's way here wasn't a distinct species when it arrived, It took eons to diversify. Even before humans transported life from one place to another storms and drifting debris did the same thing, only slower.

Many of the exotic imports cause little or no damage. There are plenty of Royal Poinciana trees here in South Florida and the Caribbean. They come from Madagascar and have beautiful red blooms in the spring. But since they aren't invasive, they aren't considered a problem by most. But that thing we call the Brazilian Pepper chokes out native species and is a big problem.

So excuse me while I just muse and ramble about what is an exotic and what isn't.

Notes

Archived