Gibson Brands Forums

Hercules Guitar Stand Failure

drathbun

I have just had my second stand failure. The first failure was with the single stand model and now the second failure was the triple stand model.

I had three vintage, valuable guitars on this stand, removed them to clean the area, and had the locking mechanism fail and drop the height as soon as the stand was moved. This could have been catastrophic had the guitars still been on the stand. Both stands failed the same way with the height locking mechanism becoming extremely sticky and then disintegrating shortly after.

I contacted Hercules directly over six months ago and they have refused to honor their lifetime warranty for a known and common problem with their stands. My dealer has long since went out of business and cannot be contacted.

Stay away from this company and their equipment if you value your instruments.

Doc 

Sorry to hear of others troubles.  I had nothing but good service.   My stand black plastic became sticky, then began reading stories on forums about imminent failure.  My double head Herc stand was about 10 years old.  No longer had receipt (ordered from musicians Friend with gift card I think ). Googled Hercules customer service number - called and told my story.  Gave her some numbers from label on bottom of stand.  Said she mail me new one free of charge.   Gif I about a week later , new in box.   This was about 18 months ago.  

16 hours ago, doctormrd said:

I have just had my second stand failure. The first failure was with the single stand model and now the second failure was the triple stand model.

I had three vintage, valuable guitars on this stand, removed them to clean the area, and had the locking mechanism fail and drop the height as soon as the stand was moved. This could have been catastrophic had the guitars still been on the stand. Both stands failed the same way with the height locking mechanism becoming extremely sticky and then disintegrating shortly after.

I contacted Hercules directly over six months ago and they have refused to honor their lifetime warranty for a known and common problem with their stands. My dealer has long since went out of business and cannot be contacted.

Stay away from this company and their equipment if you value your instruments.

Doc 

I've had a bunch of them and they've been great for me.  I wouldn't go anywhere near anything else.  They're the best stands I've ever seen.  If you have the sticky model, then you shuould have gotten rid of it.  Stay away from this company if you value your instruments?  Funny!

There's two kinds of people in this world.  Those who double check when they engage a locking mechanism and those who don't.

Engineer

Edited by badbluesplayer

I always keep my guitars in their cases (with humidifiers), and only take them out when I'm playing one. No wall hangers, stands or display cases ever.

But if I did need a stand, I'd probably just visit Home Depot, get some small diameter PVC pipe and a few pipe joints, and make my own. Much more satisfying.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have the newer stands (single and triple) and they've been great. But now one wing of the locking mechanism isn't moving when the guitar is placed on the stand. The cam (bent rod) has popped out of the hole in the mechanism -- I can see that through a hole in the back of the head.  A YouTube video shows how to pop that back in, but in that model there are screws holding the cover plate on. My model doesn't have any screws, and I'm afraid to pry the plastic cover off in case I break it.  Any guidance?