Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Scare

Dave F

Went to the local Post Office to pickup the guitar (via Ebay) and this is what greeted me.

Guitar was bubbled wrapped without a case.

I peeked inside the box and everything seemed okay so I accepted it with the postman noting the damage in case I needed to file a claim.

I opened the box on the spot and everything was okay.

If it wasn't such a great deal, I would had not accepted the package.

Guitar is in pretty good shape. I have a few minor things to fix on it.

9939CFDA-CE21-45A2-8FC9-EACEB5D8D35F_zpsddpd82ki.jpg

Aw, man. Dreadful. An NGD should be a happy occasion- I'm sure your heart just sunk. You knew it was coming without a case? I'da sent one out to the seller, or had them pick one up locally and add it to the bill.

Hard to believe there was no damage(?) Also- bubble wrap in the heat can melt a pattern right into the nitro.

So- have you found out just what exactly is a Vintage AJ?

Never seen a box like that Dave, but you can see the 'crush zone' was above the back and the bubble wrap did it's job. Lucky shot. Back when you used to list your guitars in the signature I think I recall you owning a sh'load of fine guitars. Were you jonesing for a jumbo?

Never seen a box like that Dave, but you can see the 'crush zone' was above the back and the bubble wrap did it's job. Lucky shot. Back when you used to list your guitars in the signature I think I recall you owning a sh'load of fine guitars. Were you jonesing for a jumbo?

Not really. I had an AJ Gold (walnut) that was a very nice guitar but fell victim to herd thinning.

I still have a '34 Jumbo RI.

This was just too good a deal to pass on.

I know you know what that means ; )

Good find on that one, congrats. You should be glad in retrospect it was not in a case - if it was, probably would have had a cracked neck or broken headstock because the guy probably wouldn't have thought to support under the head stock at all. Would have been worse bouncing around inside a case. How's the neck angle? Did you run a straight edge down the neck to bridge? Truss rod works o.k.?

Dave you are scaring me to death. I have a guitar I am preparing to ship. Surprisingly I have been having trouble finding a good shipping box. Both the local Sam Ash and GC claim to be keeping theirs now for shipping to other stores. Makes sense I guess. I did finally locate one at UPS store that looks like it will work. I also have one of the 34 Centennial Jumbo's (#75) and a AJ. I think you will find enough difference to enjoy both.

UPS boxes are monstrous and cost more to ship due to the height and running inch method they use to measure, so try to cut the size of it down to below 48" high. Reverb has a good 3 boxes for $35 deal. My UPS store said theirs are for bike shipping.

I have. The box contained an antique clock that had been totally restored and which was given to me by my brother. Last time we relocated the movers managed to leave it in the warehouse so ended up shipping it to me. The clock was totally wrecked when it turned up. Problem was each one blamed the other for the damage.

Good find on that one, congrats. You should be glad in retrospect it was not in a case - if it was, probably would have had a cracked neck or broken headstock because the guy probably wouldn't have thought to support under the head stock at all. Would have been worse bouncing around inside a case. How's the neck angle? Did you run a straight edge down the neck to bridge? Truss rod works o.k.?

I currently have it on my workbench cleaning it up adjusting a few things.

Scale length is 25-3/8"

The truss rod works great. When I checked the neck it had about .020" bow. I took it down to .003". Once I did that, a few strings started buzzing at the 1st. A few of the nut slots are too low. I'll fix those.

The neck looks good with a straight edge. The angle looks real good. The AJ's i've handled seem to have a steeper wedge angle on top of the bridge. This one is no different. the straight edge shows the top of the frets even with the top of the bridge at the 'A' string. The picture shows the frets high in the center which is good.

F5AE7E61-1700-4B32-8B1F-0D8857643991_zpsprkpesul.jpg

It has an Ellipse Blend installed. I plugged it in to test it and it works. I got a good sound adjusting the gooseneck right beneath the strings and running full mic.

Nut width checks just under 1.738 with the calipers.

0BEC87A2-BFA0-45AF-BECB-005BA4F9199E_zpsc0wjylxi.jpg

Neck thickness at the 1st fret is .890

CEFC9381-7A87-477E-A9BC-A25CEFEEB512_zpsn4jplilb.jpg

.983 at the 10th

8027712B-BED1-4C4C-935B-090DF10CEA98_zpsb7xyvbfx.jpg

Dave you are scaring me to death. I have a guitar I am preparing to ship. Surprisingly I have been having trouble finding a good shipping box. Both the local Sam Ash and GC claim to be keeping theirs now for shipping to other stores. Makes sense I guess. I did finally locate one at UPS store that looks like it will work. I also have one of the 34 Centennial Jumbo's (#75) and a AJ. I think you will find enough difference to enjoy both.

Where you located? I have a lot of them. My preference for shipping is UPS and Fedex

Thanks for a peek under the hood on the AJ, Dave. Is that red in the saddle slot the UST part of the Fishman? As you've got the digital caliper out, any chance you could take a measurement of what it adds to the string height of the saddle? I thought I'd seen the basic ribbon transducer adds .030", for those of us looking to remove electronics, and maybe compensate with a slightly taller saddle (?) Thx.

Where you located? I have a lot of them. My preference for shipping is UPS and Fedex

I am in Raleigh, North Carolina. I think I am okay with the box situation now. I have shipped with UPS before without any issues so that's probably what I will do again. Thanks for the advice and offer. I was wondering if the Vintage refered to an Adi top? Either way looks like you got a good one to work with. AJ's are awesome.

Archived