Gibson Brands Forums

1957 Switchmaster LP

Rabs

...I bet it weighs a lot. And that is the problem I would have with it...

Actually it shouldn't be too heavy Brad.

As a general rule-of-thumb the early LPs used lighter mahogany blanks to start with and the early LP Custom was solid mahogany - no maple cap - and mahogany is normally lighter than maple. Granted there is the extra weight because of the middle p'up and those heavyweight dumb-bells Grovers out at the far end which won't be helping matters but other than that?

The problem I have with it is that it's pig-ugly (IMO) but if you like the look then what have you got to lose? Other than the $113,487, of course...

Pip.

Actually it shouldn't be too heavy Brad.

As a general rule-of-thumb the early LPs used lighter mahogany blanks to start with and the early LP Custom was solid mahogany - no maple cap - and mahogany is normally lighter than maple. Granted there is the extra weight because of the middle p'up and those heavyweight dumb-bells Grovers out at the far end which won't be helping matters but other than that?

The problem I have with it is that it's pig-ugly (IMO) but if you like the look then what have you got to lose? Other than the $113,487, of course...

Pip.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

And yeah it is ugly. Not for me.

Archived