Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Roy Clark

QuestionMark

lots of admiration for Roy here. he was a SERIOUS player, but he never took himself seriously.

he was always a hoot to watch, you never knew what he was gonna do to get a laugh, but that guy could play anything with strings. Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle, didn't matter just give it to him, and get out of the way.

RIP Roy, One of the GREATS of our time.

Monster player and a hell of a talent. Incredible speed in both hands, and he played with great taste. He may have been gifted, but all of us here know he got where he was through practice, practice, practice.

The lasting impression I have of him is that he always looked joyful when he played. He looked like he was having the time of his life.

"Hee Haw" was on CBS from 1969-71, my early high school years and a time when I was trying mightily to be "cool." The corn-pone humor on "Hee Haw" certainly wasn't my idea of "cool," but we lived in a rural area and mom and dad watched it religiously and since we only had one TV, that's what I had to watch. But I really came to appreciate Roy and Buck and the rest of the show's music. Mom and Dad and "Hee Haw" are now long gone, but I'm glad we watched the show together.

The clip that BBG offered up from the Hee Haw broadcast is how I remember him- like Benny Hill, but with massive guitar talent. The internal clock/timing he had was amazing. . . as seen in that same clip where he's talking and mugging for the camera, never missing a beat. A one-of-a-kind. RIP.

I first saw Roy Clark playing live on the back of a flatbed semi truck in Hill City, Kansas sometime pre-1970. My girlfriend's (later my wife) family were big country music fans. I was not. Seeing him play absolutely blew me away. I began to take country music a lot more seriously after that. Thanks Roy, and RIP.

The clip that BBG offered up from the Hee Haw broadcast is how I remember him- like Benny Hill, but with massive guitar talent. The internal clock/timing he had was amazing. . . as seen in that same clip where he's talking and mugging for the camera, never missing a beat. A one-of-a-kind. RIP.

I have only in the last month discovered Roy Clarke! I couldnt believe how much like Benny Hill he was. Highly

talented in all ways.

Archived