Gibson Brands Forums

Just outside of Austin

JuanCarlosVejar

Songs about smoking pot always sound immature to me.

He's a gifted young man.

Aside from the phrase "a little weed" and "high as I've ever been" are not related. If that is indeed the case, then I'm in a different boat where it becomes too much of a tired 70's cliche. Something like the line from a song that's escaping me at the moment, "girl, we could get so high..."

I could be wrong. If I am, he went to great lengths to hide it all behind a heart and soul song.

OT - Pops or someone taught him some nice microphone technique.

PB

Scary resemblance. Will his voice age to sound like Willie's in 50 years? It's hard to flip back and forth in time to hear how a vintage guitar sounded then and now, but Lucas Autry was 28 in that video, and at age 32, on the Porter Wagoner Show, here's Willie (shield your eyes as to not be blinded by Porter's jacket):

Scary resemblance. Will his voice age to sound like Willie's in 50 years? It's hard to flip back and forth in time to hear how a vintage guitar sounded then and now, but Lucas Autry was 28 in that video, and at age 32, on the Porter Wagoner Show, here's Willie (shield your eyes as to not be blinded by Porter's jacket):

Lots of great guitars in that video!

Not sure about that pickguard on Porter's Martin, however.

It's a good thing this is a B&W video. The colors of some of Porter's Nudie suits were pretty shocking.

Songs about smoking pot always sound immature to me.

He's a gifted young man.

M,

I don’t think him mentioning the word “weed” for a second makes the entire song about pot.

Btw Willie said that when his house burned down in nashville he was able to save 2 things:

Trigger & a pound of weed he had. I think that pretty much says how important the stuff is to the Nelson family.

JC

Thanks for sharing

Loved watching it.

It’s always awesome to see how much those country artists admired each other.

Porter and Willie are both great.

JC

Lots of great guitars in that video!

Not sure about that pickguard on Porter's Martin, however.

It's a good thing this is a B&W video. The colors of some of Porter's Nudie suits were pretty shocking.

Nick,

Did you ever see the Porter Wagoner signature model ??

That had a huge guard:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--5nPr7B7g--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1488821783/oeq5fbqg1hdwlcqt2fda.jpg

For some reason I love the look.I know i’m in the minority though.

JC

I was thinking S&G Homeward Bound

I would go with that as well, although there are echoes of John Hartford's best-known song in there, too.

Whichever one you hear, the son sounds so much like the father that it's surreal.

The reference to "Gentle on my Mind" sent me down a John Hartford rabbit hole on youtube for the best part of an hour. I'd forgotten what a great songwriter he was. "Aereo-Plain" is a good album to start with. The cover to that album was steampunk before anyone had ever thought of a term to describe it.

Thanks for sharing, Juan.

He may sound like Willie, but Lukas is a talent in his own right.

I saw him a couple of years ago when Neil Young and Promise of the Real were touring. Great musicians all!

Archived