Gibson Brands Forums

Small amps??

Black Dog

Welll....I don't know.....

He has recorded it very well, close mic'd in a studio - is it going through a p.a? Doubt it.

And everything he plays is distorted at least a bit.

I've done gigs with a Vibro Champ mic'd up and it's the small speaker rather than the power (or not) of the amp which affects the sound.

It still sounds small in a venue (or outdoors, I tried both) even when mic'd up and with an experienced live engineer on the desk.

My 'ground zero' tone which I must have is clean, and I mean CLEAN with a hint of reverb. You need headroom for that.

But hey, what do I know? I'm a dinosaur.

Well, I didn't mean to be totally literal about playing any size gig but rather just the sound he gets out of it, one way or the other.

But it does kind of illustrate the problem with some of these online amp demos. Someone will play an amp that's mic'd, processed and recorded, and it sounds great, but may be nothing close to what the amp actually sounds like in person.

Well, I didn't mean to be totally literal about playing any size gig but rather just the sound he gets out of it, one way or the other.

But it does kind of illustrate the problem with some of these online amp demos. Someone will play an amp that's mic'd, processed and recorded, and it sounds great, but may be nothing close to what the amp actually sounds like in person.

IMO if you pay closer attention the tone is rather fizzy, splatty, and noisy.

I love Johan’s videos, but that is not a great sound. I suspect that amp is based on the LM386 power amp (which I’m not a fan of) based on what I’m hearing.

Now we’re talking about a battery powered amp that kinda didn’t even have a chance to sound good. If we’re talking about a classic small tube amp like 1-15W those can obviously be great. Still completely wrong to say it’s suitable for any gig because of the obvious lack of headroom.

This subject has been kinda beaten to death. Basically some good sounding records were made with small amps, so the internet took it a step further and told us we don’t need more than 15W. You don’t need to know a lot about amps to know that big amps have their place, but amps are sadly overlooked these days

I guess the same could be said about guitar demos.

The guitar sounds as good as:

1. The Player

2. The Recording equipment

3. The Amp

I'm sure we heard some talented folks play one of those Squire bargain starter kits that go for $99.99 and make it sound awesome.

I guess the same could be said about guitar demos.

The guitar sounds as good as:

1. The Player

2. The Recording equipment

3. The Amp

I'm sure we heard some talented folks play one of those Squire bargain starter kits that go for $99.99 and make it sound awesome.

Yeah, it may be even more true for guitars. So-so guitar through great amp may sound pretty good. Great guitar through crappy amp, maybe not.

Anyway, I just meant this to be an entertaining post about another one of Johan's wacky tests. Which I still think is pretty funny. But, I won't be getting a 9v powered amp anytime soon. msp_biggrin.gif

well, a bit off track, but I know I had read that Clapton and J.J. Cale recorded most of LayLa with fender champs

I think they had them laying on their faces, and mic'd em from behind.

I think David Gilmore did similar for Money of Dark Side Of The Moon

Interesting what you can do with some micing and mixing, but just to say that these kind of techniques have been going on for decades

well, a bit off track, but I know I had read that Clapton and J.J. Cale recorded most of LayLa with fender champs

I think they had them laying on their faces, and mic'd em from behind.

I think David Gilmore did similar for Money of Dark Side Of The Moon

Interesting what you can do with some micing and mixing, but just to say that these kind of techniques have been going on for decades

I read that Gilmore plugged directly into the console, I think it was for Comfortably Numb.

Layla was recorded with a variety of Fender in the room, including Champs. They plugged into whatever they felt like using and Tom Dowd didn't keep great notes on what they used. He said it was hard enough just catching them playing.

I don't think JJCale was there.

Carry on.

rct

Layla was recorded with a variety of Fender in the room, including Champs. They plugged into whatever they felt like using and Tom Dowd didn't keep great notes on what they used. He said it was hard enough just catching them playing.

I don't think JJCale was there.

Carry on.

rct

actually, your right, Cale wasn't w/Derek and the Dominos.

Archived