Gibson Brands Forums

Of Nut's & Trees

Mr. C.O. Jones

Hey guy's, been a long time since I dropped in.

Hope you are all ok.

I finally had the guts (some months ago to be true) to swap the nut on my Traditional for an aged Tusq XL.

The results are far better than I expected, I don't even feel the string going through the slot when tuning, smooth.

Finally no more buzzing and I even lowered the action a little. It was pretty easy.

The only thing that wen't a bit wrong was that even cutting carefully all the finish around the nut I still got a little chip out at one side.

No big deal it isn't the first and surely won't be the last, I still remember RCT's: It's just a guitar.

xZwOgKJ.jpg

mzrGVHn.jpg

And becase my Strat stated to act stupid when using the vibrato I decided to do her the same favor, also added a roller string-tree.

Doesn't get out of whack no matter how hard I abuse the wiggle-arm. This is what I call high performance, and black looks much nicer on that one.

I strongly recomend it even if baking soda does the trick for a while this makes a huge difference over the cheap plastic nut's.

OI0j5Ut.jpg

bl5jpdJ.jpg

YPachLI.jpg

Greetz to ya all.

Nice job.

I didnt even know there was a roller string tee. Should'a made em like that in the first place. Very sensible.

As for the string seating on the new nut. Thats exactly how my luthier says it should be. "Strings should sit proud of the nut, not buried in the slot".

Looks nice too. I've never replaced a nut. Even my cheap guitars have thier original plastic nuts.

Nice job.

I didnt even know there was a roller string tee. Should'a made em like that in the first place. Very sensible.

As for the string seating on the new nut. Thats exactly how my luthier says it should be. "Strings should sit proud of the nut, not buried in the slot".

Looks nice too. I've never replaced a nut. Even my cheap guitars have thier original plastic nuts.

Thanks man!

Yeah the roller-thingie is pretty cool, even if it did hurt my eyes at first. But it is dirt cheap and works flawless.

And you are lucky or smart to have a Luthier that knows his stuff.

The strings on my Trad where literally buried in the slots. I only waited this long (it's a 14 model) because I didn't trust the tech's and luther's here, and didn't have the guts to do it myself.

But be careful, it seems to be addictive. When you feel how well those nuts work, you want them on all of your guitars.

Has anyone had a compensated nut fitted?

Have asked this too once or twice, considered it...but not dared to - yet.

There is the Earvana, the Buzz Feiten, to name 2.

I read that you can't do unison bends with the B Feiten one.

So it would make more sense to have it on a jazz box with thicker strings....fewer bends and more chords..... :-k

If I set foot in the US, it would be a great honor to see you play her at one of your gigs and hit the cymbals with her!

Oh boy I would like that, it would be an honor to whack at that pretty Strat! Most of my headstocks are a little knicked up, one or two are pretty bad. Kills resale. lolz

Except, new drummer. He is so far not thrilled about some dope hitting his cymbals. I am breaking him in slowly.

rct

Have asked this too once or twice, considered it...but not dared to - yet.

There is the Earvana, the Buzz Feiten, to name 2.

I read that you can't do unison bends with the B Feiten one.

So it would make more sense to have it on a jazz box with thicker strings....fewer bends and more chords..... :-k

It is my experience that Earvana and the dreaded Buzz Feiten do very little to make a noticeable difference to the average guitar player. The average strobe tuner, sure, he can hear it. Neither nut, in my experience and opinion, does anything that the average fixer with time and decent nut filing skills can't do. Get that string stop in exactly the right spot for each slot and you have a "compensated" nut. Which is what the saddles are for. So for an all around well intonated guitar for regular use they are not needed. If you want to win an Intonated To Digital Perfection That No Human Can Hear contest, they work.

rct

Archived