Gibson Brands Forums

Guild's tip of the hat to Gibson?

dhanners623

Don't know if it has been discussed here before, but I stumbled across the Guild DS-240, a clear-as-day nod to Gibson slopes:

https://guildguitars.com/g/ds-240-memoir-2/

Anybody know anything about them? At a price below $700, I'm assuming they aren't built in the U.S. And they have a poly finish. But at that price, it could be a decent back-up for the budget-conscious picker.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any personal experience with one. Most Guilds I've seen and played have been decent guitars.

I bought a J-15 for a backup / noodler.

If I wanted to go cheaper than that I'd simply buy an Epiphone. They have proven to be very consistent. My daughters EJ200ce shocks me every time I grab it for the money.

I bought a Guild F1512 12 string in November last year, and yes, it's an import.. These around 1,200 new w/a decent gig bag (but I bought a case for it).

It did need some work, Nut was a mess, had some high frets, and some funky stuff going on at the saddle. Once the setup was dialed in, it's the best 12 string I've ever played. Action is tremendous and it's a total canon, (eg, LOUD)

....Just cuz it's MIC don't mean it's crap....

Sort of reminds me of an Eastman ES-20SS I had for a hot minute. Great guitar, well made, etc., but obviously had its own sound and although it looked very similar to a Gibson slope shoulder dread, it sounded nothing like one, which depending who you ask could be a good or a bad thing.

I bought a Guild F1512 12 string in November last year, and yes, it's an import.. These around 1,200 new w/a decent gig bag (but I bought a case for it).

It did need some work, Nut was a mess, had some high frets, and some funky stuff going on at the saddle. Once the setup was dialed in, it's the best 12 string I've ever played. Action is tremendous and it's a total canon, (eg, LOUD)

Personally for that kind of scratch I would have snagged a Westerly-built F212. 12 string guitars are what put Guild on the map in 1963. They were built like tanks but it was Guild which taught both Gibson and Martin how to build a 12 string guitar that was not in constant danger of twisting itself apart.

Seems like there might also be a bit of a tip-of-the-hat to Ren's Orpheum series Guilds, built in New Hartford. Roundshoulder dreads were part of the series, as well as the cursive headstock logo.

But for my money, rather than get a MIC Guild, Westerly Guilds built from the early '70s to 2000 can often represent a very good value on the used market, and many of them are simply great guitars.

A few years ago when I decided to revisit my Guild past (had four of them in the '70s), I quickly ran into one fine sounding Westerly after another, and typically one great deal after another. Prices have gone up recently, so a little more patience may be required these days.

Personally for that kind of scratch I would have snagged a Westerly-built F212. 12 string guitars are what put Guild on the map in 1963. They were built like tanks but it was Guild which taught both Gibson and Martin how to build a 12 string guitar that was not in constant danger of twisting itself apart.

True, They did set the bar for 12 strings back in the day.

I did scout out for some clean used ones, found a couple that could have worked. No guilds came up in the search at the time. a few Taylors did, a Leo Kottke which was pretty nice but asking price was steep. probably worth it tho, and a 2000 built 300 series, which had a barn door fishman preamp, same one that I had on a 314CE I sold a few years ago, I never got along with that pickup. Could never dial the quack out of it and I really don't like those huge control plates sitting on the side.

I decided patience wasn't working in my favor. I don't regret the purchase, this is also a well built guitar. Dual truss rod, a pretty nice solid top, solid rosewood back/sides and a neck that is surprisingly UN-12 String like in girth. Tuning stability is very good too. Happy with how the search ended. I really enjoy playing that one. It's a bout as deep $ wise as I want to get with a 12er, it does what I need.

Seems like there might also be a bit of a tip-of-the-hat to Ren's Orpheum series Guilds, built in New Hartford. Roundshoulder dreads were part of the series, as well as the cursive headstock logo.

But for my money, rather than get a MIC Guild, Westerly Guilds built from the early '70s to 2000 can often represent a very good value on the used market, and many of them are simply great guitars.

A few years ago when I decided to revisit my Guild past (had four of them in the '70s), I quickly ran into one fine sounding Westerly after another, and typically one great deal after another. Prices have gone up recently, so a little more patience may be required these days.

Wasn't one of those Orpheums a 12-fretter? I could really go for that. As I recall, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the sunbursts looked pretty ugly.

In my youth, I owned a Guild F212NT. Great guitar and, yeah, if you want a 12-string, Guild set the standard. Then I realized I really wasn't much of a 12-string guitarist.

I bought a Guild F1512 12 string in November last year.... Once the setup was dialed in, it's the best 12 string I've ever played. Action is tremendous and it's a total canon, (eg, LOUD)

I've got Guild 12s out of Westerly and Corona and a Gibson 12 out of Bozeman, and I'm still intrigued by those F1512s. For traveling, maybe.... even though I've got an old 1970s Epiphone 12 that works quite well for traveling. Just.... crazy, I guess. msp_crying.gif

I've got Guild 12s out of Westerly and Corona and a Gibson 12 out of Bozeman, and I'm still intrigued by those F1512s. For traveling, maybe.... even though I've got an old 1970s Epiphone 12 that works quite well for traveling. Just.... crazy, I guess. msp_crying.gif

Regardless of Country of Orig IMHO, these are seriously solid guitars. Setup issues aside, (and they WILL need a setup) once addressed, it's been awesome

Edited by kidblast

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Guild DS-240E about 3 months ago, it took me about a week to dial it in on the setup. I have to admit it frustrated me for about  a minute. However it dialed in and started to settle down and it is in the top 2 guitars in my collection. Great sound, very light and stable , stays in tune well. I love the snap in it , may be the pau ferro fret board helping that. It is very very resonate . Just a real joy to play .