Gibson Brands Forums

songwriting to get over aggravations

uncle fester

Ok - I gotta say, I am not a Taylor Swift fan, but I am a Taylor Swift fan, meaning I don't listen to her music - but appreciate the general messaging she puts out in her songs etc...  (i.e.  Shake it off, meaning get over whatever is bothering you so you can appreciate what's going on right now).

Anyways - I'm dealing with an aggravating little league baseball situation (don't f w/ my kid) and kept saying to myself, I gotta shake this off - I'm just wasting all this time being aggravated.  Then I think, ok - Taylor Swift says shake it off, but that's after the fact, what do you do when your living it.  Then I remembered she writes songs about all her breakups, so I figured I'd write a song to get out what I was thinking...  and out came 'Little fat man'.  I only played it for a couple of folks (who I know feel like I do, but truly it made me feel better.

So I take this thought just a little bit further and think back to other songs I've written.  I've got 3 revenge songs, they were all inspired by people or circumstances, and all made me feel considerably better after I created them.  I also have to say in each there are some really good lyrics.

My revenge songs

• Little fat man
  • I am great, I am great, It is me you should celebrate
  • Had a run in with a POS today

Anybody else got any revenge songs they want to share the title, maybe a little story of?

• Like 1

I don't think I ever even imagined writing a revenge song...  Ha! 

Situations can bug all of us, and sometimes it's hard to not hold a grudge, and just let things go. 

If writing a tune directly related to that helps you accomplish this, then I'm ALL for it Bill.  Just remember at the end of the day, "people can suck"..   Hey,, wait a sec..... something there..  Ok where's my pencil..

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Just remember at the end of the day, "people can suck"..  

They do, but the trick is to remember not all of them.

Also, I'll say one more time, I am amazed at how well it helps me get over things (truly go from pent up aggravated to laughing about it).  I got some Irish in me, like to hold on to things...  feels like prozac in the form of art.  Acoustic J45 art. .. although a screaming LP or SG wouldn't be out of place in a couple of them.

Edited by billroy

51 minutes ago, billroy said:

They do, but the trick is to remember not all of them.

Also, I'll say one more time, I am amazed at how well it helps me get over things (truly go from pent up aggravated to laughing about it).  I got some Irish in me, like to hold on to things...  feels like prozac in the form of art.  Acoustic J45 art. .. although a screaming LP or SG wouldn't be out of place in a couple of them.

I know man, sometimes people just have a way of getting under your skin.   Their usually pathetically sad and angry hate filled individuals.. we should pity them instead of wanting to run them over with a fork truck..   But, yea,  slamming a few power chords or just playing period..  does do wonders for this..

I went to bed at 8 pm, my wife woke up ranting about a run in she had with a women up th street after  i went to bed...  new lyrics:

• I'm a self righteous anxious person living in a self constructed zoo
  • I make something out of nothing and put the blame on you

Tell me that's not a song...

Edited by billroy

3 hours ago, billroy said:

I went to bed at 8 pm, my wife woke up ranting about a run in she had with a women up th street after  i went to bed...  new lyrics:

• I'm a self righteous anxious person living in a self constructed zoo
  • I make something out of nothing and put the blame on you

Tell me that's not a song...

you're onto something bud..

everybody's a pain in the ***

• You're a self righteous anxious person living in a self constructed zoo
  • You make something out of nothing and put the blame on who?!?

• You lie to little 10 yr old kids, its what you do 
  • A POS thru and thru
  • Being loud and opinionated got you the job
  • But your ignorance is taking over like a giant glob

• You said to me your going away I can use your pool
  • But I didn't realize it was april fool
  • I went on over looking to have a good time
  • The you ripped me a new behind

the families a pain in the ***

• Strangers and acquaintances are your favorite friends
  • Do whatever you like it never depends
  • You come off looking like a hero
  • Although you treat your family like a big fat zero

• disrupting any harmony
  • disparaging diversity
  • promoting inequality
  • perpetuating anarchy
  • a cancer in society

everybody'd a pain in the ***..

ahhhh... I feel better now.

Edited by billroy

I never apply my guitar playing ability or experience to hate and/or discontent.  Ever.  Silly, dumb love songs, "...the kind the Dominoes might do...or Freddie might sing for You...".

rct

15 minutes ago, rct said:

I never apply my guitar playing ability or experience to hate and/or discontent.  Ever.  Silly, dumb love songs, "...the kind the Dominoes might do...or Freddie might sing for You...".

rct

I would say I have a rule of thumb that is in line with that with respect to anything I perform.  but respect to what I write - it's a therapy thing and anything is fair game.  I feel as long as i'm responsible with what I do with it once it's a song, (meaning save it, put it away, maybe play it for a couple people - but never throw it in anyone's face...) I'm good with it.  

But about the songs I share - I'm a touchy feely feel good sort of guy, just finished one called 'ice cream and cotton candy'.  got kids, need to make sure anything i message, i would message to them.

Edited by billroy

Looking at set lists I'd say no. Many different themes across relationships, reveries, stories, socio-politics, whimsy....but not hate.

...oh, hang on, I did write one once called Self-inflicted Karma but it wasn't that serious and not worthy of the live set list in any case [laugh]

Many years ago, in south Texas, I signed a Management contract with some lawyer, and the next thing I knew, I was playing EVERY night, and I didn't have any money. They bought all these clothes, and some decent equipment, and I didn't have any time for myself. the most prestige gigs I had at the time were the Holiday Inns in South Texas, where they wanted every song to end in a Maj7 chord. So, on my way out, I wrote and performed this short song:

They dress me like a monkey

They treat me like a fool

I never have no money

But I just found my walkin' shoes.

• Like 1

Taylor Swift has nothing on Harry Nilsson 

" You're breaking my heart, 

You're tearing it apart,

So f%×k you."

It was written for his wife when she left him over his drinking,  which finally killed him.

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1