Gibson Brands Forums

Neat old pictures!

Gilliangirl

GG' date=' your mom is gorgeous and looks like a natural with that guitar:) That guy kinda reminds me of Hank Williams hah. Very kewl pic, thanks for posting that! More! More:)[/quote']

Thanks JLW! Here's another one..... my mom on the left, Roy in the middle (same guy you thought looked like Hank Williams in the early 60's) and Greg (who looks amazingly like Cat Stevens in this picture). I think this must be from the early 70's but not sure. They had a band together, The Elastic Band: mom on rhythm guitar, Roy lead guitar and vocals, and Greg on drums. No guitars in this pic tho' :-(

Gingerlongtimeago.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed this thread - thanx Gilliangirl

Below is a couple of pics of my dad at 12 and at 72. My dad played a 120 base accordion from a young age, and still plays today at 78. His musicianship influenced me early on. My musical education started at 8 years old with lessons on his accordion which, at the time, seemed like it was as big as I was. I've played keyboards ever since (right now I've got a Yamaha DGX220). Played sax for a number of years in bands and an orchestra. And of course there's my guitars - love 'em. Thanks dad.

Joe1942.jpgJoe2002.jpg

Oh that's so neat! You're one of those multi-instrumentalists that I'm jealous of. I used to play piano many MANY years ago but that's about it. Oh, and the recorder.... did anyone else have to play the recorder in school?

Anyway, what is that thing on his right in the pic of him as a child? Looks like some sort of oven or something? He must be impressed, and proud, that you can play a number of instruments!

Oh that's so neat! You're one of those multi-instrumentalists that I'm jealous of. I used to play piano many MANY years ago but that's about it. Oh' date=' and the recorder.... did anyone else have to play the recorder in school?

Anyway, what is that thing on his right in the pic of him as a child? Looks like some sort of oven or something? He must be impressed, and proud, that you can play a number of instruments![/quote']

Thanx Gilliangirl. Elementary school music as I remember - recorder, tambourine, chime. That thing on the right is an icebox. The iceman delivered/sold blocks of ice you stuck in the box along with the food you wanted to keep cold. Yikes, that sounds ancient. Anyway, you've got some great photos and your mom looks like she's a honey.

Still thinking about the Close 'n Play..... did anyone else have to pile pennies on top of the arm of their record player? Typically' date=' we'd start out with one penny, then that wasn't enough to weight it down and we'd add another penny. Eventually we'd get a new record player..... you know, the old ones with a tweed case?[/quote']

Yup. My daddy bought us kids our own record player. He didn't want us to 'wreck' his 'coffin' stereo. he got it on a garage sale. It was brown faux alligator skin covered. My sisters and I pr't near wore out our sound track album from the movie, "Jungle Book".... not just the songs, but the whole dadgum show.

I also had my component record player (the one with the strobe so you could adjust the speed) hanging from the

ceiling on ropes to keep it from skipping.=D>

Never heard that one. I suspect you were dancin' too hard.

...That thing on the right is an icebox....

I'm fairly certain that is a stove. The top box is the oven and the lower.. a broiler? To the left, off pic, is the stove top. You can see the gas jet plumbing just in front of it. You can also see one of the gas valve handle. It is similar to the one seein in the Parker's kitchen in "The Christmas Story".

Wow' date=' you're right, he does look like Cat Stevens, and the other guy in the hat looks like Danny Bonaduce lol! Your mom is so pretty - now we know where you got the good looks;) That is a classic 70s pic - very kewl:) [/quote']

WOW! John Lee! How long you been back? We missed ya, welcome back!

I'm fairly certain that is a stove. The top box is the oven and the lower.. a broiler? To the left' date=' off pic, is the stove top. You can see the gas jet plumbing just in front of it. You can also see one of the gas valve handle. It is similar to the one seein in the Parker's kitchen in "The Christmas Story".[/quote']

TommyK - Yes, I see what you saying. Hey, thanks TommyK. I'll talk to the 'old man' (in the vernacular of 'The Christmas Story' - love that movie) - he's down in Florida these days (snowbird).

Hey LiveSoundGuy - thanks for the welcome back:) Just poppin in now and then, been busy busy and was told I'd been goofing too much on the internet and slacking in productivity - i.e., not writing enough to please the powers that be. I'm back in the saddle and schtuff is happenin', so me thinks they are happy now:) Hey, it's good to be back! If only for a moment:)

As to the close~n~play' date=' I had to use a nickel As to the photo, here ye be.

I will most likely never be able to identify the guitar, but to me, looking at the shadow on the wall, it looks like it was a slotted headstock. Kinda like classical guitars have.

From what I've been told, his real mom and step-dad threw him out when he was 6 years old. He lived on the streets until he was 9. At that time his real dad re-married a very nice lady, and they took him in. I come from a long line of dirt poor West Virginia hillbilly coal miners, so the story is quite believable. Determined not to die in the coal mines like his brother did, Dad lied about his age and joined the army when he was just 16 at the end of WWII. He stayed until the end of Korea, then moved to the motor city and hauled cars till his back would no longer allow him to sit for long periods. He and Mom then moved to a very, very small town in N.W. Michigan (about thirty miles north of Kalamazoo) and worked in steel mills the rest of his life. He never amounted to much over minimum wage, but he made damn sure us four kids did.

Thanks Dad. Miss you.

Charles William Saunders 1924-1988

[/quote']

LSG, are you still here? Watch this when you have a minute..... and a box of Kleenex maybe....

1974' date=' somewhere in Alberta, leaning on my Swedish made Goya. A true hippie moment![/size']

Sample_87.jpg

I absolutely love that picture! Hmmm, let's seee, 1974.... I would have been living in Sardis BC and hitch-hiking to the 'be-ins' at Stanley Park in Vancouver every weekend. They were like mini-Woodstocks.

Well, I don't have a scanner so I can't get any old photos up (I'll have to work on that). But, Doug (our Drathbun) took a previous photo I uploaded and *aged* it with Photoshop! So cool!

Gilliangirlagedphoto.png

And, this is Gilliangirl, circa August 2008, being a complete goofball! A friend of mine has a band called Armed and Hammered..... isn't that a great name for a band? He sent me one of their T-shirts, which is what I'm wearing here. I sure hope Gibson doesn't kick me off the forum for showing their logo with the nut in the picture LOL

Hammerred.jpg

LOL Who knew that the serious musician of the top photo was the "Armed and Hammered" nut of the one below! That's one happy lady with her Gibson! (and no... she doesn't need that book on the shelf "Idiot's Guide to Being Sexy")

{snip}That's one happy lady with her Gibson! (and no... she doesn't need that book on the shelf "Idiot's Guide to Being Sexy")

You got that right!

A +1 chick, with a +1 guitar. Now THAT'S hot!

And thanks for the link GG. I hate to admit it, but I had never heard of Gillian Welch till I joined this forum and met (virtually that is,) you.

So "Thank You" for that.

Archived