Gibson Brands Forums

Neat old pictures!

Gilliangirl

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful photo Karen and your mum is simply beautiful.

I was 18 months old when JFK was killed so I don't have any direct connection. But everyone of my parent's generation in the UK all remember where they were when they heard.

Not that it means anything, but my first born, Albert, from where my Forum name comes from, was born 30 years to the day after JFK died.

I don't miss the 8 tracks but I still have the 1968 Automatic Radio under-dash player that my brother bought new for $90 with two rear deck speakers. It played 8 track AND 4 track! I made a half-hearted attempt to mount it into a small cabinet with built in speakers just for old times sake but I don't think I was feeding it quite enough power.. I couldn't seem to get enough juice to the solenoid that changed channels. Oh well, it's trash, but it won't go away because I am a sentimental idiot.

I despise cds, always have. I didn't get a cd player until 1995, kicking and screaming. My kids grew up lugging around portable cd players from KMart that would last a month. Now we're ipod-queer; my oldest has an 80Gb, my youngest a Touch, my wife has my old 1Gb and I bought a second hand 4GB. All the music is stored on an 80GB WD Passport external drive. Saves me some headache too, as I talked my daughter out of making me rip the dashboard out of her Sable to put a cd player in.... she just uses a $5.00 cassette adaptor for her ipod. I do the same in my Blazer & pickup.

The fewer moving parts, the better I like it.

We seem to take one step forward and two back. When my son first got his first 'portable' CD player... the Walk Man was sooo 'old school'.

Inspecting his new purchase I asked where the CD player's belt clip was.. With indignance, he said, "You don't clip it to your belt."

"Then how do you carry it?... I mean it IS portable... isn't it?"

He showed me that you hold it like the gal carrying your rootbeers at the A&W Drive-In. ... on your palm... dead nuts flat. So I did.

"Don't jiggle it too much Dad," he said, "it'll skip."

"Like my LP player?? I thought you said it's portable?"

"Old school" could be clipped to your belt while jogging and never skip a beat.

Like a good dinner conversation at a fun party, a good thread like this one takes on a life of its own! (Bet "Karen" of Calgary had no idea where this one mght lead!)

Starting from the box of photos her Mom found, to the recollections of others about one particular comedic genius of early "live" television. Wonderful photo, and, to coin a song title, thanks for the memories!

Early TV had its great and non-so-great moments; there was a lot of pedestrian junk on black & white small screen television in those days, but then there was Sid Caesar and Nanette Fabray -- Broadway quality performers who spoke to the hearts and funny bones of a higher-common-denominator of more musically-literate people, raised on the Great American Songbook -- people like my folks.

If I may, and for the benefit of all the youngsters here, may I share with you one of my favorites -- from Sid Caesar's Show of Shows -- early 1950s. I promise you, even if you don't like Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, this is worth watching to the end -- a keeper worth sharing and cherishing, half a century later. (Keep reminding yourself that this is a "live" performance -- imagine walking such a tightrope yourself. Imagine any of today's comedic actors pulling this off in a live show.

Footnote: I'm not sure if Nanette is still with us; but Sid Caesar repeated this amazing performance, night after night, with another comedic genius from the early days of "live" TV -- Imogene Coca -- on their "Together Again" tour in 1991. Those who saw it (I envy them) said it was "pure genius" to see this "live." Well . . . next best thing:

Hope that link works (I'm a computer dinosaur). It is just under six minutes of perfection, titled "Argument to Beethoven's Fifth"

Thanks again, 'Gilliangirl' for triggering some great old memories from out of a box of old pictures.

Mark Blackburn

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

Wonderful video of Sid and Nanette Mark! I wonder how many people under 30 had the attention span to watch it all the way through without surfing somewhere else in another browser tab, texting someone on their cellphone or checking their email?

Wonderful video of Sid and Nanette Mark! I wonder how many people under 30 had the attention span to watch it all the way through without surfing somewhere else in another browser tab' date=' texting someone on their cellphone or checking their email?[/quote']

I watched it all the way through, but I do admit I clicked on The Redneck Tenors in the right hand column immediately after. The Redneck Tenors.... can you believe that? They were quite good actually.

That Sid and Nanette skit was impressive; perfectly choreographed! 'Yes' 'No' "'Yes' 'No' 'Yes' 'No' 'My mother?!' 'My mother?!' LOL

Mark, when I first posted this thread I thought we'd start talking about vintage J-45's for a few posts and then it would sink to the bottom!

Well why not? Awhile back in another thread, I posted a photo of my dad back in the early 1930's, when he was about 9-12 years old, playing an unidentified f-hole archtop. This leads me to wonder, who else has old photos of their ancestry playing...well playing anything musically? Surely many of you folks were taught by someone in your family or past. I'm certain we're not all self taught. Start posting! I'd be interested in seeing them. This has been a great thread.

Well why not? Awhile back in another thread' date=' I posted a photo of my dad back in the early 1930's, when he was about 9-12 years old, playing an unidentified f-hole archtop. This leads me to wonder, who else has old photos of their ancestry playing...well playing anything musically? Surely many of you folks were taught by someone in your family or past. I'm certain we're not all self taught. Start posting! I'd be interested in seeing them. This has been a great thread.

[/quote']

LSG, can you find it again? I'd love to see it. I probably wasn't here when you initially posted it. Why not post it in this thread?

Still thinking about the Close 'n Play..... did anyone else have to pile pennies on top of the arm of their record player? Typically, we'd start out with one penny, then that wasn't enough to weight it down and we'd add another penny. Eventually we'd get a new record player..... you know, the old ones with a tweed case?

Yea GG, I remember having to place a penny on the arm to get the perfect sound from a needle. How about this...

some here mentioned 8-tracks, did anyone ever have to place a matchbook cover on the top or bottom of the 8-track

in a car stereo to get the sound? I remember that and also when my home component stereo had an 8-track that would fast-forward (I remember thinking that was the greatest thing ever)!

I also had my component record player (the one with the strobe so you could adjust the speed) hanging from the

ceiling on ropes to keep it from skipping.:-({|=

As to the close~n~play, I had to use a nickel As to the photo, here ye be.

I will most likely never be able to identify the guitar, but to me, looking at the shadow on the wall, it looks like it was a slotted headstock. Kinda like classical guitars have.

From what I've been told, his real mom and step-dad threw him out when he was 6 years old. He lived on the streets until he was 9. At that time his real dad re-married a very nice lady, and they took him in. I come from a long line of dirt poor West Virginia hillbilly coal miners, so the story is quite believable. Determined not to die in the coal mines like his brother did, Dad lied about his age and joined the army when he was just 16 at the end of WWII. He stayed until the end of Korea, then moved to the motor city and hauled cars till his back would no longer allow him to sit for long periods. He and Mom then moved to a very, very small town in N.W. Michigan (about thirty miles north of Kalamazoo) and worked in steel mills the rest of his life. He never amounted to much over minimum wage, but he made damn sure us four kids did.

Thanks Dad. Miss you.

Charles William Saunders 1924-1988

100_0481.jpg

How about this...

some here mentioned 8-tracks' date=' did anyone ever have to place a matchbook cover on the top or bottom of the 8-track

in a car stereo to get the sound? I remember that and also when my home component stereo had an 8-track that would fast-forward (I remember thinking that was the greatest thing ever)!

I also had my component record player (the one with the strobe so you could adjust the speed) hanging from the

ceiling on ropes to keep it from skipping.=D> [/quote']

Yes!! My friend Sandy and I used to skip out of school, sit in Brian Kellar's old brown truck in the school parking lot (how stupid is that?), play penny poker and listen to Nazareth with the 8-track, with the matchbook jammed on the top-right of the deck! Brian would get mad sometimes because we'd drain his battery. But Brian never really got mad.... he was a great guy. Brian Kellar, are you out there? We never had fast-forward, but I do remember sometimes the tape wouldn't work and you'd have to pull one end of the tape out, then yank the other end really fast and it would wwwwhhhhhrrrrrrrr back into the plastic 8-track box. It usually worked!

As to the close~n~play' date=' I had to use a nickle. As to the photo, here ye be.

I will most likely never be able to identify the guitar, but to me, looking at the shadow on the wall, it looks like it was a slotted headstock. Kinda like classical guitars have. From what I've been told, his real mom and step-dad threw him out when he was 6 years old. He lived on the streets until he was 9. At that time his real dad re-married a very nice lady, and they took him in. I come from a long line of dirt poor West Virginia hillbilly coal miners, so the story is quite believable. Determined not to die in the coal mines like his brother did, Dad lied about his age and joined the army when he was just 16 at the end of WWII. He stayed until the end of Korea, then moved to the motor city and hauled cars till his back would no longer allow him to sit for long periods. He and Mom then moved to a very, very small town in N.W. Michigan (about thirty miles north of Kalamazoo) and worked in steel mills the rest of his life. He never amounted to much over minimum wage, but he made damn sure us four kids did.

Thanks Dad. Miss you.

Charles William Saunders 1924-1988

[img']http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/thelivesoundguy/100_0481.jpg[/img]

Oh, that made me cry.....

and what a priceless photo. We sure have it easy today, compared to what our parents went through. He was only 64 when he died. My dad died when he was only 61 (I was 19). Thanks for the picture and story...... (still crying.... better play a happy song now on the guitar now)

All

If you do not have a program like Spybot try it, it is free and worth running.

You will be amazed at the number of spyware programs in your computer hogging up valuable resources and slowing down your internet connection. Most spyware I have found in a computer was 800 and boy did it make a difference removing those pesky little spy on your computer, send information on sites you visited and send adds from your computer to others.

Perhaps I am an old worry wart but I dislike unauthorized companies and individuals collecting information about me or my computer habits.

Fred

Archived