Gibson Brands Forums

Neat old pictures!

Gilliangirl

My mom found a box of old photos and is going through them all, scanning some and sending them to me. This is a picture of my mom playing her Harmony Jamboree, which she eventually traded for a Gibson LG1 (gee, I wonder if she has pictures of that?). Her husband Roy (not my dad) is playing his beloved old J-45. This guitar unfortunately met a tragic end and burned in a house fire. :-( I remember my sister telling me how devastated he was. The pic 'pulls' a bit in the left-hand upper corner because of the transformation from old camera to computer. Anyway, thought I'd share......

RoyGibsonJ-45GingerHarmonyJamboree.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great one, Karen! Oct. 1963, that was the month after I tore the medial cartilege in my right knee playing football against the Bellingham High Red Raiders!! Notice the properly installed coasters under the feet of the couch protecting the hardwood floor. I was a junior in HS and that was the year I bought my little Melody classical guitar, my first one. Nostalgia, I love it. My dad just had all our 8mm home movies put onto two DVD discs and they are fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

That is a fascinating picture. I know this may sound lame, but I look at it with a touch of sadness for all of us because surely life was at least somewhat less complicated then. On the plus side, that Roy looks like a pretty cool cat with the slicked back hair and sideburns and your Mom is beautiful. Needless to say, the guitars are beautiful too. Thank you so much for sharing that picture.

Karen- doesn't seem as if this picture is meaningful 'just to you', does it? I'd completely spaced the timing with JFK's assassination. As we say, 'Everything' changed after that event- those of us who were around will always remember where we were when we first heard the news.

And yes. Your mom is definitely hot. +2 :-s

The hisrorical context is hmm, historical. The JFK assasination was one of the pivotal moments of the last century. The first of the boomers,like me, were reaching adulthood and were forming political ideas and something like this happens. We were all energized and optomistic about the "new" direction the country was going in and one event changed it all. I personally never believed the "one gunman" theory. The Zapruder film was too much evidence for the "official" story to be credible. The disillusionment of the "govrnment" lieing was profound. It made all subsequent claims from them suspect.

Everything was different after that as one can see from what came next - "The 60's".

(Gee, I tried 4 times yesterday to reply in this thread and the computer would not load this page? Me thinks my computer has a virus ~sigh~ That means I'll be computerless for 4 days now..... arrrgggh!)

Anyway, thanks for the replies everybody! It is a neat photo.

Man, did everyone have those rough old brown couches with the spindly legs and vinyl covered metal kitchen chairs in the early '60's?

Doug, that couch was actually bright blue, but who could tell when everything was in black and white! My mom said they were musicians, not interior decorators LOL

really cool, karen! for some reason, as i look at this i think of nancy sinatra and lee hazelwood singing "jackson". don't know why. just do.

JG, my mom used to get compared to Nancy Sinatra all the time, which she hated. I loved Nancy Sinatra so don't get that at all? I had the white lipstick and the white go-go boots and all! Well, my friend Tracy had the boots and we shared LOL My mom also used to get compared to Bridget Bardot and Jane Fonda. She's STILL hot! And Roy still plays..... he's made his living at it.

My dad just had all our 8mm home movies put onto two DVD discs and they are fascinating.

Terry, I have all our old 8mm film and keep meaning to do that. Gotta get on that before it's too late.

what happened to your Mom's LG1?....

PEI, she eventually traded it for a '64 Framus 12-string Texan, which she still has. It just went for a tune-up with Fred Castner, who works for M*****. My mom ended up getting a 6-string D-18 for Christmas. Still some tuning problems with the Framus but they're working them out. She contacted the Framus folks in Germany and they want to put pictures of the guitar in their vintage magazine.

(oh forum Gods, please let this go through even tho' my computer is ailing.... :-& )

That old Framus Texan 12 stringer is a highly sought after guitar! The Beatle connection with Framus 12 strings (John's - "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" - was a Hootenany) made them quite framous ... I mean famous... in addition to their quality. I'm not surprised they want pics of it.

Re: JFK.....I was three. The tv wasn't on until the neighbor called and told my mother "they shot that little Kennedy feller". I do remember Walter Cronkite telling the news of his death. Didn't mean much to me at three; I didn't have much concept of death, I just remember everyone being quite upset. For reasons unknown, my mother snapped a photo of the tv when they were showing JFK's photo and when the film was developed, the scree looked dark, just as if the tv was off entirely. Never figured that one out but I'm sure there's an explanation. I still have that cursed tv, the same one I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Batman, all the 60s Saturday morning cartoons, Hee Haw, Laugh In.... and now it's in my garage. I never could bring myself to hauling it over the dump.

Archived