Gibson Brands Forums

Ohio Might Just Be Heaven

zombywoof

1 hour ago, billroy said:

Thumbs up ZW, enjoy...  especially Richard Thompson, he's one I'd like to see!

I am one of the lucky ones who first got to see Thompson with Farirport Convention on the 1970 tour.  He may just be the best guitar player on the planet.   But I am probably more excited about the Dixon & Jones show.  Don Dixon has a very long history in music going back to the ate 1950s when he came up with the idea for the Echoplex which Mike Battles was ale to make into a reality.  He then went on as a songwriter, singer, musician (bass)  and producer.  

I haven't heard anyone mention Fairport Convention in years. They were one of the groups I like listening to in the 70's when I was in college. I need to go through my albums and see if I have one that I can record digitally. 

Ooohh, , , thought for 3 seconds you were talking 'bout Gary's Guitars in Loveland Ohio. 

A treasure vault I'd more than like to visit.  In fact would be the place to investigate if one wanted to pick the final vintage Gibson. 

Comparing the whole park, , , not least some short scale maple amberburst oldies. Heavenly acoustic lords, that guy has the inventory of dreams. 

Huh...that's about an hour away...who knew

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Ooohh, , , thought for 3 seconds you were talking 'bout Gary's Guitars in Loveland Ohio. 

A treasure vault I'd more than like to visit.  In fact would be the place to investigate if one wanted to pick the final vintage Gibson. 

Comparing the whole park, , , not least some short scale maple amberburst oldies. Heavenly acoustic lords, that guy has the inventory of dreams. 

Main thing I miss not working in the city anymore....Basement Discs for many years had free lunchtime concerts of solo artists that were travelling past on tours....one of the reasons I am a Lowden lover is...ha ha...going down the steps to the Basement and Richard Thompson played!!! Though I saw many artists there...across from the entrance in an arcade was a lunchtime type bakery with a swing out window and a long bar you could sit and eat at.....then waddle over to see some guitar players. Martin Simpson was superb another day! John Hammond played there one day, but I couldn’t get down the stairs for people everywhere!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Main thing I miss not working in the city anymore....Basement Discs for many years had free lunchtime concerts of solo artists that were travelling past on tours....one of the reasons I am a Lowden lover is...ha ha...going down the steps to the Basement and Richard Thompson played!!! Though I saw many artists there...across from the entrance in an arcade was a lunchtime type bakery with a swing out window and a long bar you could sit and eat at.....then waddle over to see some guitar players. Martin Simpson was superb another day! John Hammond played there one day, but I couldn’t get down the stairs for people everywhere!

BluesKing777.

Pretty cool BK - I used to be in Cambridge and just going down to Harvard Sq to see the street musicians was pretty cool... never happened upon any big names, but there was a hole in the wall bar called Toad it was rumored Aerosmith would show up every once in awhile...