Gibson Brands Forums

Got screwed by Gibson!

thedangle1

Guess a lot of people are missing the point of the heading of the post. When I bought this guitar in Nov' of 2017, Gibson's website said the guitar came with 498T/490R. Here's the original webpage...

http://espanol.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute-2018.aspx

If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see where it says what pickups they are. Imagine my surprise when I pulled them and found both were 490's. Someone at Gibson screwed up with either the marketing dept' or creating the page for the website with wrong info.

10 hours ago, thedangle1 said:

Well, I meant "clearly see" from the photo of the back of the headstock cause some were questioning if it was a 2017 or 2018, and the '17 model is weight relieved, which I don't believe in when it comes to a real Les Paul. Was one of the main features that made me buy it, but pretty funny sarcasm.

lol,  and it was all meant in fun. glad you appreciated it. beautiful guitar by the way. 

• Like 1

Why the heck didn't you guys call Gibson? I've had issues on one of my Gibsons & one of my Epiphones. I called Gibson, they emailed a UPS return Label, I sent Guitars to Gibson, they re-inspected the entire Guitars, they repaired them, did perfect Set ups & they came back perfect. 

They were excellent to work with.. 180 degrees from Fender...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Why the heck didn't you guys call Gibson? I've had issues on one of my Gibsons & one of my Epiphones. I called Gibson, they emailed a UPS return Label, I sent Guitars to Gibson, they re-inspected the entire Guitars, they repaired them, did perfect Set ups & they came back perfect. 

They were excellent to work with.. 180 degrees from Fender...

If it weren't for the Telecaster, I would have no need at all for Fender. Gibson has treated me right and always returned my emails and phone calls.

14 hours ago, thedangle1 said:

Guess a lot of people are missing the point of the heading of the post. When I bought this guitar in Nov' of 2017, Gibson's website said the guitar came with 498T/490R. Here's the original webpage...

http://espanol.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute-2018.aspx

If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see where it says what pickups they are. Imagine my surprise when I pulled them and found both were 490's. Someone at Gibson screwed up with either the marketing dept' or creating the page for the website with wrong info.

I understand.

Have you contacted Gibson?

Have you contacted a lawyer yet?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, thedangle1 said:

No we didn't miss your point, but you missed ours

Did you also scroll down that web page you posted?

At the bottom "Terms and Conditions ", take a read.

Quote:

Disclaimers of Liabilities and Warranties
While we use reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information on our website, we make no representations or warranties as to its accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness. Gibson assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccuracies, errors or omissions in the content of our website.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thedangle1 said:

35 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

No we didn't miss your point, but you missed ours

Did you also scroll down that web page you posted?

At the bottom "Terms and Conditions ", take a read.

Quote:

Disclaimers of Liabilities and Warranties
While we use reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information on our website, we make no representations or warranties as to its accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness. Gibson assumes no liability or responsibility for any inaccuracies, errors or omissions in the content of our website.

Gibson supplied all their venders with the same specs for the 2018 Tribute and they all advertise it as such, with the 490R/498T pups.  These were advertised specs for the complete run of the 2018 Tribute and they are still listed as such.  We have seen Gibson correct misinformation plenty of times for other errors, but this information has stayed the same now going on two years. 

I suggest  the website specs are  actually correct so this statement does not apply to this issue.

• Like 1

If you are the original owner who filled out the Warranty Card, I would contact Gibson and tell them that what you have isn't what you believed you were purchasing.

I would have done that first to give them a chance to correct things.

They've always been a stand up company in my limited dealings with them.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

If you are the original owner who filled out the Warranty Card, I would contact Gibson and tell them that what you have isn't what you believed you were purchasing.

I would have done that first to give them a chance to correct things.

They've always been a stand up company in my limited dealings with them.

Amen!! It bothers me that people come here with their first post to the forum to slam Gibson before going through the proper channels. I don't think the OP is doing this at all, but some trolls come  on here to stir the pot. I assume they are agents of PRS. However, the OP, stated he loved his guitar and  was pissed when he discovered it had a different pup than what was advertised. IMHO, that's just splitting hairs and pointless. No harm was done.  This whole post is pointless...

I am Big F. Bill and I approve this message.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 3

Instead of responding individually to recent comments, I didn't contact Gibson cause I wanted to put Duncans in my guitar anyway. If they sent me a new set of pups I wouldn't have any need for them. Once I heard the tone of the Duncans, my guitar was finished and I wasn't about to reinstall and uninstall pups just to see which set sounded better and risk ruining something, like the satin finish or something else (I already have a couple of light scratches on the back from putting in the new pots). Plus, I think by taking out the original pups voids the warranty anyway and I only did it recently after two years of having the guitar, so I don't think Gibson would have done anything anyway. It took two years for me to decide to pull the pups due to money issues and research. I wanted to be sure of which set of pups I wanted to buy. Plus, I don't play that often due to my health issues and being on disability.

I respect all comments and appreciate them. Reason for the post wasn't to show any dislike for Gibson. I've always wanted a Les Paul all my life and was finally able to afford one two years ago. I am very happy with my guitar and love everything about it (just got the wrong pups LOL). It plays great, feels great and sounds great...three key ingredients to knowing a guitar is awesome. If I had the money, I'd get another one (and make sure the right pups are installed LOL).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2